Kenny Lambeth

Kx250f won’t start when hot. Has to cool. Help!

2014 kx250f. I just bought the bike and immediately done a partial rebuild. Took it out for break in ride yesterday. Very muddy wooded trail so it was a slow ride 1st and 2nd gear. I turned it off or staled 🙂 a few times and would let it sit for a minute or two to cool off.  After 40min or so my buddy fell in to some deep mud so I turned my bike off and helped him out. 7 or 8 minutes later I tried to start it and nothing. He tried and still nothing. Pushed the bike 3/4 of the way back out the trail I’m guessing about 20 min.  I decided to try once more and it fired up like normal. I’m guessing it just needed to cool off.  Is there some type of heat sensor that would have stopped it from starting? 
he was on a 2008 450f and there were no issues. 

Edited by Kenny Lambeth

I don't know of anything factory installed to keep one from running. I would be testing the electrical components. Is that one injected or is it a carbureted engine?

Probably not a flooding issue. Stators and coils start failing at some point, and work worst when they are warm or hot. 

If you aren't familiar with the test, you just need the spec's on the components and a multimeter. If they are out of spec cold, you can bet they won't work good hot. If they pass cold, warm them up good.  Hair dryer or oven set about 200 or warm for 5-7 minutes usually does it.

I will check the stator hopefully tomorrow.  I rode again today and there were no issues. Although today was more so low rpm in 3-4 gear on dirt roads.   
im pretty certain the valves are in spec. I just put in new valves, piston kit, and timing chain and it was done at a local shop and the guy is about the best around so I’m certain it was done right.  

Kxlubber I am not sure about the couplers.