Engine oil in stator cover

Hi guys 

I am new to 4 stroke, when I removed the flywheel cap in an attemp to check the valve clearance, I noticed there was engine oil in the stator cover, is it good or bad ? What’s the fix if it’s bad.

My bike is a 2004 RMZ 250 

Thank you

Edited by Bidulez

Perfectly normal, unlike a 2-stroke most of these 4-stroke MX engines have oil in that left side engine cover, the flywheel/stator are in oil.

If you don't already have one, get a service manual before attempting anything valvetrain related.

Valves too tight, wrong cam chain timing could spell expensive repairs.

Checking the valve clearance is done from the top, by removing the valve cover. 

But yes the flywheel is part of the oils travel. And it rarely drains appropriately when changing the oil (I always tilt the bike from one side to the other to get the most I can out of the crankcase, it sits on each side. 

Here is the link to the manuals:

http://www.crservice.dk/Suzuki cross/RM-Z250/RMZ250.htm

Thanks for your reply guys. Yes i have the manual and i am following the procedure to check the valves clearance. Nowhere they mention to drain the engine oil and when i removed the flywheel cap to put piston at TDC, i saw some oil dripping from the magneto cover. I stopped right there i thought it was supposed to be dry like a 2 stroke.

image.png.580df5656ae15faf7fe5a363e9208f5f.png

Edited by Bidulez
  • Like 1