Tony T

Torn ACL. Knee braces.

I recently (March) completely tore my ACL while wearing a new set of POD K8 braces. Because of covid, my surgery was postponed long enough to make me want to continue to put off repair until the fall. My questions are, has anyone continues to ride with a torn ACL? My leg is now stronger than it was before I injured my knee and feels almost back to normal. And, if you’re wearing custom knee braces, what kind and do you like them? My doc is writing me a prescription for custom braces for both knees. 

I was about to pull the trigger on those exact braces. Did they fail you or did they not fit right? Can you objectively assess what happened and what failed?

8 hours ago, Coccyx said:

I was about to pull the trigger on those exact braces. Did they fail you or did they not fit right? Can you objectively assess what happened and what failed?

I could have had the pads that sit in the side of my knee tighter. Other than that, the braces fit me well and I really liked them. 

my ortho doc said that no brace will protect you 100% from an acl tear and after hearing about the injury, it just might have been one of those times. 

I tore my ACL in high school back in 1994. Had surgery to repair it. Tore it a second time in college. Didnt have it repaired the second time. Continued to ride dirtbike, 4 wheelers and street bikes for many years without issues. Fast forward to 2018. I bought a RM250 and took it to a local track to ride. Came up short on a jump and cased it. I didn't crash but the landing was hard and buckled my knee. This convinced me to have a second knee surgery. When the doctor was in my knee during surgery he said there was no sign of an ACL. When I tore it in college my body dissolved the remaining pieces. Now after my second ACL surgery I wear a custom knee brace everytime I ride. So my point is, you can ride without issues with a torn ACL until that one time!!

• Like 3

I partially tore my ACL back in November. I was off the bike for about 2 months then started to ride again. My surgery has been postponed due to Corona as well. I were a CTI brace on my other knee from previous ACL surgery from about 8 years ago they help but not fool proof. My surgery is back on for next Monday i am going to have it done. But i am lucky i can ride mostly year round and prefer to ride in the winter

• Like 1