20 FE 501s battery and starter options?

I'm picking up a new FE 501 today and I've already got a ton of goodies coming for it like Rekluse clutch, 3 gal tank, intake, exhaust, and tuner, fuel pump, filter, Seat Concepts seat, skid plate, hand guards, etc.

My question is about the battery and kick starter option. I'm not a fan of lithium batteries, has anyone switched over to a good ol lead acid type?

I searched and didn't really find out if anyone has actually did the kick starter option. I think you can get the kits for around $250. Has anyone actually installed one of these?

Curious how much work is involved?

I tend to get way out in the middle of no where alone quite a bit and would prefer a kick starter and better battery especially with an auto clutch.

Am I being too paranoid about the batteries? What has been your guy's experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, Chrisk7 said:

I'm picking up a new FE 501 today and I've already got a ton of goodies coming for it like Rekluse clutch, 3 gal tank, intake, exhaust, and tuner, fuel pump, filter, Seat Concepts seat, skid plate, hand guards, etc.

My question is about the battery and kick starter option. I'm not a fan of lithium batteries, has anyone switched over to a good ol lead acid type?

I searched and didn't really find out if anyone has actually did the kick starter option. I think you can get the kits for around $250. Has anyone actually installed one of these?

Curious how much work is involved?

I tend to get way out in the middle of no where alone quite a bit and would prefer a kick starter and better battery especially with an auto clutch.

Am I being too paranoid about the batteries? What has been your guy's experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

Never an issue in 300 hours on the current bike. The Li battery’s are fine, just don’t get some cheap eBay one. If these bikes don’t start off the button 99% of the time you won’t kick it over either, ie something else is wrong with it.  JMHO 

edit: I had an issue once on my Husaberg 570, but it was the Tuner that failed and was dumping 10x too much fuel. I had fuel coming out the exhaust. I got back and unhooked the tuner and she fired right up  

Edited by 1 lunger

I just got a 2020 FE501s as well. Rekluse is SO GOOD on it. What intake/exhaust mod did you order? I've done FMF 4.1 slip on (with QUIET insert), the Rekluse, Vortex ECU, Husq steering damper, SC seat.

I don't think adding a kick starter is an option on the new engine anymore.

Impossible to add a kickstart on the new 450/501's without swapping the engine cases to the older design.  That being said, I doubt if the motor would actually fit the frame.

Zero problems with LiFePO4 batteries on any of my bikes.. agreed, don't buy Ebay specials and you'll be fine.

Edited by zibbit u2

AG has a battery for the 501, I bet. Might want to look into the one with the "re-start" button. (Not that you'll need it, but it's nice that it's there.)

I think they're a site supporter too.  

Thanks for the replies guy's.

I went with this set up for now. https://www.bestdualsportbikes.com/product-page/power-bundle-with-programmer-silver-end-cap-for-2020-500-exc-f-6-days-501

Afterwards I have heard a little negative feedback about some of the bits and pieces but I'm hoping for the best and going to give it a shot.

After all the good things I've been hearing about the newer batteries and this bike I'm less worried about the whole kick start and battery issue. I guess I can always just carry a small jumper battery if I get too paranoid.

• Like 1

Wow, he claims 70hp from just that kit... Dave Simon is a kook...

Congrat's on the new bike! :cheers:

Jumper battery, and a micro air pump is a great combo to keep with you.  Easy flat repair, charge a cell phone to get more excellent pictures, or work as a flashlight.  If needed, you could even jump start a dead battery. 😉

I've read where a few guys have added a capacitor, so they could bump start a dead battery.  The theory is sound, just need to make one, and give it a try. 

FWIW:  I've got basically the same BDSB kit on my '19.  Bike never flames out, and lugs down like crazy. That makes it easy to get through the rock fields with both feet on the pegs, and not much clutch work.  With the reeds out, there is no lag in throttle due to revision air flow at the throttle body.  It works great for me.  Engine sounds so much better, and runs cooler, as well. 

Happy Trails! :cheers:

Well I got everything in the bundle on the bike except the air intake snorkel tube. Wow, the bike does run better for sure. I'm a happy camper with it.

Now I'm waiting on the Rekluse auto clutch, hand guards, Seat Concepts seat, tires, tank, and new springs for the forks and shock. Oh and a bunch of blue bling.