motrock93b

CRF230F/L 230 Jetting bump

I’ve copied a post I made in the sticky here since that thread is possibly overlooked due to it’s length. 

“I finally had a chance to ride the 230 today, and evaluate the new jetting. To recap, I have been happily running the power up needle/132 main combination for years. Airbox snorkel pulled, 1” header, Procom, otherwise stock. Today’s configuration was the stock 2006 needle shimmed up with two 3mm washers, and a 120 main. It’s definitely an improvement. Throttle response is cleaner, and it pulls stronger throughout the rpm range. It just keeps pulling on the top end. I’d describe the improvement as being similar to adding a Procom; maybe a tad less. 

An important takeaway is the needle must be matched to the main jet. I still see posts here recommending or asking about main jet size while disregarding the needle. That can lead to poorly jetted bikes, or frustrating delay in getting the bike “right.”

Someone really should have recommended this combination a long time ago. 🙂

So. If you’re satisfied with the Power Up Kit jetting recommended long ago, you may want to give the stock needle/120 a try. I’m glad I did, and appreciate the helpful posters in this forum for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

Stock needle with shims along with 120 main WAS recommended long ago...

I was deliberately being sarcastic. Self effacing. My point is that the Power Up needle/132 was also recommended long ago and many were happy with the impressive improvement over stock jetting. I’m just providing information I hope might help others improve their Power Up jetting. I was happy with mine, so there are probably plenty of others who may benefit. They’re unlikely to read through the lengthy sticky, especially if they’re happy with what they have. Just trying to be helpful. 

• Like 1

When I had stock carbs I only had . Stock xr250 132  jet plug color perfect. I only live 20 min from beach. No matter  when I got to  Beach. Slightly lean with even 132 m jet. 

Interesting. Jetting can be tricky. I’m not much of a tinkerer, so am glad I finally decided to reluctantly test another option. I have no way of knowing if there’s an even better option, and I’m not inclined to pursue it myself. However, I’m all ears! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VortecCPI said:

Back when I tried "Full Power" needle and 132 main my top end was dead and flat.

Nobody, including Mike Coe, could figure out what in the world Honda was thinking...

After reading a post by adnohguy, I guess Honda plucked an existing XR 250R needle. Since this “Power Up” needle delivered a substantial improvement over their forced choked up jetting maybe they just called it a day. Good thing others kept experimenting. Reviewing my test ride with the stock needle/120 main, I definitely had more top end. I tried deliberately climbing a gear or two too tall, and once downshifted to the proper gear the bike definitely came to life much better than PU/132. When practically trying to grenade it with long full throttle pulls on moderate climbs, it never signed off with the new jetting. 👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, motrock93b said:

After reading a post by adnohguy, I guess Honda plucked an existing XR 250R needle. Since this “Power Up” needle delivered a substantial improvement over their forced choked up jetting maybe they just called it a day. Good thing others kept experimenting. Reviewing my test ride with the stock needle/120 main, I definitely had more top end. I tried deliberately climbing a gear or two too tall, and once downshifted to the proper gear the bike definitely came to life much better than PU/132. When practically trying to grenade it with long full throttle pulls on moderate climbs, it never signed off with the new jetting. 👍

So-called "Full Power" needle is not from XR250R.  Mike Coe looked everywhere to try to find the part number context and never found it:

"I still have not been able to decipher the accessory needle to find out what application it is truly for."

HondaBullFullPowerParts.jpg

Edited by VortecCPI

Also...  No idea where the silly label "Power-Up" ever came from.  Per the Honda Bulletin above the parts are labeled "Full Power"...

And...  Recommended "Full Power" main jet for CRF150F is equally WAY too rich...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

From my CRF230F Modifications page:

Thumper Talk   Keener, Lafayette, CO   3/15/03

For my wife's bike I will rejet today to a 132 or 135 main, 48 pilot, and the Power Up needle on the 3rd clip position from Honda.
Part number for the needle is 16012-KPS-921
All restrictors removed and the bike is pitifully lean with stock jetting. We ride at 5-9000 feet.

The 230 runs like a different machine with the new jetting. The 230 needs to be rejetted if you uncork it, and probably would like to run richer if left restricted.

:ride:

• Like 1