NjBetaRider

New 2020 200rr

Alright guys I just brought home probably one of the last 200rr on the east coast. I've only putts around the dealer parking lot and loaded her on the rack but all I can say is wow it feels much lighter than the 300. So anyway I have to break it to the 300 that I have a new italian mistress. But unfortunately the 300 is just not as pretty as she used to be and is bigger and older but I'm hoping we can work things out.

I'm not physically able to take her for a brapp yet after last weeks wreck but this will give me time to go over it completely. I can already tell the float needs to be adjusted as it pissing out just past kick stand lean. I'm actually considering stripping everything nonessential off and make it as light as possible.

20200523_151820.jpg

• Like 5

Ok so learned a few things already. The forks on the 200 are a different diameter than the 300. So no luck putting my kybs on to it. A little bummed by that. I'm going to see if the 300 triples would fit on the 200 so I can get a pair of donor kybs. Also this leads me to believe that those insert kits everyone makes for the sachs wont fit. So I guess this leaves me with having to figure out how to work on sachs forks and get the tools or mod the front end. 

The foot pegs definitely need an upgrade and imo the OI has to go. The seat is softer than the race edition and is actually not that bad. Anyone know the best way to plug the oi port? I'm sure I'll be filling BassMan's message inbox shortly.

I was drinking when I measured the sachs forks and forgot to the zero the caliper. They are the same dimensions as the kybs. Looks I'll be trying them out on the 200 after all.

• Haha 1

No, the forks are NOT different diameter. The lower legs are 48mm, the uppers are 54-59 mm (top - lower triple respectively). The KYB's are straight fit. 

And nobody makes any sort of kits for the Sachs... 

Edit : just read about your drinking, ehhh caliper problem... 😁 😁 

The seat foam actually it is the same. It's the Blackbird racing seat cover that is too thick and solid aa a fabric which makes the seat harder. 

The first thing to do for removal of the OI, is to get the reed intake from the 125 (most probably they are using the same reeds with the 200) in order to get rid the OI nozzle. I don't feel comfortable of people putting caps on top of the nozzle even if I was riding on the road. 

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 1

Put the correct springs for your weight in the forks and use some decent fork oil and you will be very pleasantly surprised. Save yourself the cost of the KYBs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dirtbird said:

No, the forks are NOT different diameter. The lower legs are 48mm, the uppers are 54-59 mm (top - lower triple respectively). The KYB's are straight fit. 

And nobody makes any sort of kits for the Sachs... 

Edit : just read about your drinking, ehhh caliper problem... 😁 😁 

The seat foam actually it is the same. It's the Blackbird racing seat cover that is too thick and solid aa a fabric which makes the seat harder. 

The first thing to do for removal of the OI, is to get the reed intake from the 125 (most probably they are using the same reeds with the 200) in order to get rid the OI nozzle. I don't feel comfortable of people putting caps on top of the nozzle even if I was riding on the road. 

What about the kits mx tech and ohlin make? I thought they take any OC 48mm sachs or two fork and make it a cc. The downside is you maintain the original tubes instead of a arguably better kyb tube.

After doing some searching last night it a looks like you are right about that nipple in intake. A lot of guys have had them pull right out, so I'll just drop the 100 bucks on the oi delete kit.

1 hour ago, Hubert Carpet said:

Put the correct springs for your weight in the forks and use some decent fork oil and you will be very pleasantly surprised. Save yourself the cost of the KYBs.

I have new springs on the way but I still plan on trying the kybs from my 300 on it just to satisfy my curiosity. If it's any good it would be a over the winter project just for something to do.

7 hours ago, NjBetaRider said:

What about the kits mx tech and ohlin make? I thought they take any OC 48mm sachs or two fork and make it a cc. The downside is you maintain the original tubes instead of a arguably better kyb tube.

After doing some searching last night it a looks like you are right about that nipple in intake. A lot of guys have had them pull right out, so I'll just drop the 100 bucks on the oi delete kit.

I meant kits for improving the existing OC cartsnot full new cartridges (delete ohlins, add DalSoggio, Lainer, WP CV).

But you already have a fork...🙂

Just got done the 1st ride with the 200. Nothing crazy but a nice bermed out turn track with some small double jumps and then some tight single track after. My initial impression is that I like it better than the 300. It whips around, lays down easy and turns sharp. With some clutching it screams out of the turns no problem. I didnt wear my pack so I was riding at about 230 lbs and would have the front wheel up on just about every turn. Also I dont know why but when you go to sit you end up naturally on the tank instead of the 300 where I have to make it a point to slide up on to it going into turns. The back tire is definitely lacking and the bike is under sprung for me but didnt feel horrible. All in all with some suspension tweaking this will become my race bike for the nj races. For the stuff where the big climbs come in the 300 will come out.

The wiring harness around the steering stem definitely pinches up more than the 300 did. I ended up pulling the large portion out of the clip and leaving the small part in. I also saw that on a hard right turn the cable was pushing into the horn and binding up so I removed it. The harness is definitely a bad design right there. 

I tried to move the shifter up to fit my gaerne boots under with the tall toe box but one position up and the shifter hits the front sprocket. After a better look the shifter barely clears the chain and sprocket while up shifting in the original position. Oh and finding neutral with bike running is near impossible. I thought the 300 was clunky but damn this thing is tight.

9 hours ago, NjBetaRider said:

I have new springs on the way but I still plan on trying the kybs from my 300 on it just to satisfy my curiosity. If it's any good it would be a over the winter project just for something to do.

Walt i have now had both 2020 rr200 and the 250re and the RE KYB’s valved how we have them are incomparable to the Sachs stock forks, I had the correct springs and oil etc on my 200 and they were ok tbf but night and day different to the kyb ! 

1 hour ago, Burger72 said:

Walt i have now had both 2020 rr200 and the 250re and the RE KYB’s valved how we have them are incomparable to the Sachs stock forks, I had the correct springs and oil etc on my 200 and they were ok tbf but night and day different to the kyb ! 

I plan on putting the kybs from my 300 on to the 200. If it makes that much of a difference which I'm guess it will I find a used set on ebay and copy the valving from the set I have. I'm trying to find a chart on what the overall fork lengths are from all the kybs floating around out there.

• Like 1

You have to go to the 14 tooth to move the shifter up. I also wear G12s.

Edited by BassMan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BassMan said:

You have to go to the 14 tooth to move the shifter up. I also wear G12s.

I went into this thinking it being a 200 I'd have to gear it lower but honestly yesterday I rarely used 1st and liked the spread from 2nd on up.

But what is the best solution for the splooge spraying out of the pipe coupler? One of those ktm style couples with the springs or did you find something better? The case and carb were splattered and that stuff is a pain to clean there.

The amount of spooge sprayed on the case and carb was concerning. I hope I don't have that leaky crank seal issue. I was riding with my daughter who is new at riding so it was getting loaded up in 1st and 2nd at times. No idea what premix ratio the dealer put in for break in either. The really couldn't be bothered with me out the door and I basically stole it so hey it is what is.

BassMan are using an RK head on any of yours?

Let me know what you figure out on the sponge, I fixed the coupler with red high temp RTV and now it just comes out the tail.  I'm trying to figure out why it's spitting so much oil, I added JD Jet Kit, and went up one altitude range level due to spark arrestor(recommended by JD). Bike pulls hard and runs good, but still smokes too much.  It spits twice the smoke that my Wife's Xtrainer does.  I checked the resistance on the TPS and it seems to be where is should be per the redneck troubleshooting guide.

I might just kill the Oil Injection on this one since it's not working to my liking.  The fork seems pretty harsh to me as well.  I'm 195 dry weight.  I thought maybe way under sprung is getting me in the lower mid stroke too much, but I still have yet to get within two inches of bottoming even after what feels like a square edge harsh hit.  I'm guess the high speed shim stack is set a little firm on it.

Edited by StoneyWV

Make sure you zip tie off all the oil injection lines first thing, mine were not what I would consider I tight pressure fit when I got the bike.  

• Like 1