Brake issue, am clueless

2014 te300, I was riding it hard and noticed foot pedal getting stiffer then it locked up. I was in the middle of nowhere so I had to use 1st and force it to move about a mile and a half. Got to a parking place( not mine, I had miles to go) and asked a fellow rider for a screw driver to pry pad and get some clearance and before I touched it the brake line blew off the caliper. Was able to spread pads and get it back. What happened?

9 minutes ago, hondaman331 said:

2014 te300, I was riding it hard and noticed foot pedal getting stiffer then it locked up. I was in the middle of nowhere so I had to use 1st and force it to move about a mile and a half. Got to a parking place( not mine, I had miles to go) and asked a fellow rider for a screw driver to pry pad and get some clearance and before I touched it the brake line blew off the caliper. Was able to spread pads and get it back. What happened?

Sounds like you boiled the fluid.

• Like 1

Just now, 1 lunger said:

Sounds like you boiled the fluid.

So was it the wrong fluid in there? I am a brake dragger but I’ve never had issues with anything but lots of brake pads needing changed

Have you checked closely to make sure there isn’t anything wedged between the foot pedal arm and the engine case?  I had a stick get wedged like this to me one time.

Edited by Andy2020
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy2020 said:

Have you checked closely to make sure there isn’t anything wedged between the foot pedal arm and the engine case?  I had a stick get wedged like this To me one time.

No wedges, looked at that first

• Like 1

Just get a new line, bleed with new fluid and you’ll be fine. Shit happens. I’ve had it happen. No reason, other than bad fluid or too much fluid maybe. I might have added some fluid or bleed for some reason when pads were 1/2 worn and then installed new pads forgetting what I’d done and it expands when hot. Or maybe you had some moisture in there. Steam can cause crazy shit to happen. Just get it full of new fluid and don’t over fill if you don’t have new pads on or it could happen again next time you install new pads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1 lunger said:

Just get a new line, bleed with new fluid and you’ll be fine. Shit happens. I’ve had it happen. No reason, other than bad fluid or too much fluid maybe. I might have added some fluid or bleed for some reason when pads were 1/2 worn and then installed new pads forgetting what I’d done and it expands when hot. Or maybe you had some moisture in there. Steam can cause crazy shit to happen. Just get it full of new fluid and don’t over fill if you don’t have new pads on or it could happen again next time you install new pads. 

Have never seen a line literally blow apart like that. After I was stopped too

I'm amazed you could ride with it ,normally they lock solid 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mog said:

I'm amazed you could ride with it ,normally they lock solid 

It wasn’t fast. Longest mile of my life. So what causes this? I’m going to a track with the 19 today and then I’m going to start digging into this. It was a great ride while it lasted and if this was a known issue what parts from what bike do I need to get so it doesn’t happen again? Japanese caliper and master? 

This may happen when the free play in the brake linkage is set too tight. As a result the brake locks up when it gets hot. So make sure that you have enough free play. Take a look into the owners manual, it is described there. In your case something else may have happened that overheated the brake...

Edited by Doc Brown
typo
  • Helpful 1

Agreed free play 

• Helpful 1

Yes 100% free play is also a possibility. I forgot to mention that. I’ve gotten a little greedy with my pedal adjustment and it will bit you in the ass! Lol! 

Edited by 1 lunger

15 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

B3067ABC-7CE0-4019-B379-69EBEDCF5B0B.jpeg

that's crazy it just blew off like that.

You had a crazy amount if heat in that system 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1 lunger said:

Yes 100% free play is also a possibility. I forgot to mention that. I’ve gotten a little greedy with my pedal adjustment and it will bit you in the ass! Lol! 

What do you mean by, “I’ve gotten a little greedy with my pedal adjustment?”  Do you mean that you have little to no free play at all?

6 minutes ago, Andy2020 said:

What do you mean by, “I’ve gotten a little greedy with my pedal adjustment?”  Do you mean that you have little to no free play at all?

Yeah, I tried lowering it a little too much with out backing the plunger pin down. 

7 minutes ago, 1 lunger said:

Yeah, I tried lowering it a little too much with out backing the plunger pin down. 

That’s what I thought you meant.  Removed the OEM rear brake pedal return spring and installed a Fasst Rear Brake Return Spring Kit.  You can really fine tune the adjustment as a result.  Adjusted the free play to the slightest amount I could feel thinking that would be optimal.  Not a good idea.  Just touching the rear break pedal with my boot and the wheel locks up.  

What do you recommend for a suitable amount of free play?

17 hours ago, Andy2020 said:

That’s what I thought you meant.  Removed the OEM rear brake pedal return spring and installed a Fasst Rear Brake Return Spring Kit.  You can really fine tune the adjustment as a result.  Adjusted the free play to the slightest amount I could feel thinking that would be optimal.  Not a good idea.  Just touching the rear break pedal with my boot and the wheel locks up.  

What do you recommend for a suitable amount of free play?

I have the fasst or 7602 kit, I can’t remember. I have about 1/2” of free play at the very end of the pedal, but I cover my rear more than others might, so I wouldn’t want any less. 

image.jpg

Edited by 1 lunger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mog said:

You had a crazy amount if heat in that system 

I was really digging the bike at the time. You should’ve seen the rotor once I realized something was really bad, glowing red in broad daylight. I was able to use a stone just right to get me a bit of clearance so it would move and it didn’t take but about 50 feet before it was overheated and sticking even though I didn’t touch it. When it blew another guy I don’t know was standing next to me, we were talking, and it just blew off. I had my 19 to ride at the track today so I have a week to fix it