PSA watch for babies on the trails

It's that time of year again. Keep a close eye out for baby critters on the trail. This could have ended very badly for this little guy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

I call the ones you can just walk up on 'venison'. Them 20 pounders are super tender.

This one was probably closer to 10lbs if that. Ive killed a lot of deer but I don't think I could pull the trigger on that little guy. Maybe bring it home and fatten it up first though.

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

I call the ones you can just walk up on 'venison'. Them 20 pounders are super tender.

youre  sick

Newborn baby Deer and Elk have no scent so when they sense danger they just lay perfectly still and predators like a Mtn. Lion will just walk right on by.

I ran up on Elk twice just like this in the last few years, once on a trail and once on a jeep road. One was just lying there and the second time I actually saw Momma walk up the bank and the baby just lay down in the road. I was first and stopped and warned the bikes behind me. Very hard to see as well.

• Like 2

I saw one on a gravel road last year, he hit the ground so fast it looked like his legs just evaporated out from under him. I stopped in front of him so the guy behind me wouldn't splatter him. I pointed him out when my buddy stopped and it took him a while to see what I was talking about. They get pretty low, almost like an embedded rock.

Nice PSA

• Like 1

Out here in western PA I scare deer and turkeys away constantly on the trails...only thing I almost hit regularly is the turtles. I'll feel like a giant sh*tbag the day I flatten one out! Good PSA though...respect the critters. 

20200503_125643.jpg

• Like 2