Dual Sport Chain for KLX250SF

I recently purchased and installed a Renthal R3 chain over the winter and when riding in the trails the other day the masterlink failed and now I need to purchase a new chain. Is the Renthal R3 chain suitable for dual sport use , did it possibly break because it was installed wrong?(clip was in correct direction). Do chains have any kind of warranty? I would just install a new masterlink but 2 of the other links have also broke. I don't believe the o-rings were on the master link, would that have caused this problem?  I had chain on the bike for about 1k miles. Chain was a little loose so not sure exactly what happened i just know I'm not pleased having to spend another 120$ on a chain that I just replaced. Thank you for any feedback.

20200522_124419.jpg

20200522_124715.jpg

R3 is a good chain for your bike and use. No orings on the master link did not cause the failure, possibly too much slack, but most chains are super tough it would be more likely a rock or something spun into it. These things just happen, maybe email Renthal they might give you a discount towards a new one, but I don't know of any company that warranties chains. Before you put on a new chain check your sprockets for damage, you don't want to trash another one. Oring chains do not take much maintenance, but one of the biggest causes of chain failure is too loose or too tight.  Just make sure you check this before every ride.

16 hours ago, Just Some Random Rider said:

I recently purchased and installed a Renthal R3 chain over the winter and when riding in the trails the other day the masterlink failed and now I need to purchase a new chain. Is the Renthal R3 chain suitable for dual sport use , did it possibly break because it was installed wrong?(clip was in correct direction). Do chains have any kind of warranty? I would just install a new masterlink but 2 of the other links have also broke. I don't believe the o-rings were on the master link, would that have caused this problem?  I had chain on the bike for about 1k miles. Chain was a little loose so not sure exactly what happened i just know I'm not pleased having to spend another 120$ on a chain that I just replaced. Thank you for any feedback.

20200522_124419.jpg

20200522_124715.jpg

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Often, a chain failure is due to the rear wheel not being 'square' to teh countershaft, thereby causing the sprockets to put all the stress on one side of the chain. Lets see the wear on both sides of the sprockets, I think you find one side is worn and the other unscathed.

Is that why on the chain part of the gold plating is worn on every link in a similar fashion? 

I also have had bad luck with chains lately on my XR650R. I had one rip apart while riding slowly behind someone, three broken pins in three different spots. Masterlink A-OK. I keep a spare masterlink clipped on my cables, just in case. I think there may be a lot of bootleg chains out there from China. I would contact Renthal. They may want it back to analize.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 11:51 PM, Just Some Random Rider said:

It's odd that a reputable chain company would have these problems. Was this an Ebay purchase, possible Chinese counterfeit?

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 12:51 AM, Just Some Random Rider said:

20200522_124419.jpg

20200522_124715.jpg

Any motorcycle chain will work with a dual sport bike, even the cheapest standard, non-"O"ring chain will stand up to the use and not break. The cheaper chains just take more maintenance and wear out quicker. If the chain breaks as you pictured it is either from too much tension or a bogus chain. 

There have been a flood of very attractive chains on Ebay in awesome colours, and even well known brand names, at very cheap prices. These are typically sold by unrecognizable dealers selling a ton of other bling items. These are not the quality chain they look to be. I recieved one in a beautiful chrome finish that did not even have consistent pitch. It would go tight and loose as it went around the sprocket. Buy your chain from a reputable supplier, even if it is $20 more. It will be money well spent.

The other possibility is tension. This looks like a tension break. A KLX250SF does not make enough torque to break its chain so either

1. the chain tension was set too tight or 
  2. a rock got between the chain and sprocket or
  3. the chain got misaligned or came off the sprocket and broke as it climbed over the teeth. 

My money would be on the chain tension was set too tight, which would explain several bad spots in the chain.

Chains CANNOT have tension on them. They must always run with slack. Typically we look for slack of 2% of the distance between centers of the sprockets,

or on most bikes about 1" of slack from one direction to the other at the tightest point:

Tightest point is an important to remember.

The chain tightens up as you compress the suspension to the point the A engine sprocket, B swingarm pivot and C rear axle align.  

If the axle C moves up or down the chain will loosen. Most dual sport motorcycles ride with their swingarm at a considerable angle so the spec in the manual it typically much more than the 1" stated above because you are not measuring at the tightest point.

Compressing the springs with a strap can align the engine sprocket, swingarm pivot and rear axle if you want to safely set minimum slack.

Or just follow the specification in your owners manual. Remember too tight will damage stuff, chains, engine cases, rear axles hubs and bearings. 

The gold anodizing worn off your chain links is normal wear  from the guides I believe. 

• Like 3