So i am in the market for a off road bike. I am new to off road riding but have road dirt bikes in the past and road bikes all my life. I am 6' tall 225lbs and i am looking between the yz250fx and the yz450fx or wr450f. I have never been on a 250 4stroke, didnt know if i would be happy. I will be riding trails in Michigan and trails through woods in ohio. Please give advice.

1st post, Welcome to the forums Flyguy!

If you read up a lot of past discussions, you'll find that even experienced dirt rider usually find a 450 simply 'too much bike' for trail riding.

Not only the power characteristic but the extra weight of one.

Don't let the engine size fool you, despite 'only' 250cc, these bikes put out close to 40HP which may not seem like

much compared to street bikes but, once you're out on the trail will still be quite a handful until you've gained off-road riding experience.

If no lights are required (although I find a headlight is an important safety feature on trails)

while they are comparable, the YZ250FX is a better choice as most WR250F are 'corked up' to meet EPA standards

and require some investment (muffler, ECU unit) to reach their full potential (same as the FX)

WR's can still be 'un-corked' and, in some regions are registerable as street legal dual-sports.

Edited by mlatour

In terms of Height either one is fine. I’m 6’2”, 185lbs and I’m on a 250FX and sometimes the seat feels tall, steep stuff and pivot turns mostly. Aside from that the bike is simply amazing.

Last two bikes were a 450X carbed and a 250SX smoker with a Carb. Both were powerhouses but the 450s beat you up with weight. Shortly after I got my 250FX it convinced my buddy to get a 450FX. amazing power but right off the bat I felt the weight. Whereas my 250 feel nimble and dances through the trails. And here’s the thing, everywhere he and my buddy (300XC) goes, I’m either leading or right behind on my 250. Sure I might have to go a little faster but these new EFI bikes have tons of torque. Then you can remap it too if needed. 
The biggest thing I notice on the 250 is that it’s constantly just fun. I never expected myself to “step back down” to a 250 but damn if isn’t a blast. Plenty of torque and the 6 speed box is nice for fire roads. The power is consistent without being overwhelming. The 250FX has been the best bike I’ve owned!

Edited by kgish475
Added my weight
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

A WR250F wouldn't be a bad choice either.  For a few dollars the motor is a 250FX.

• Like 1

Between the two, 250FX is the one to get.

I am 6'3" and was 215lb last season. Been riding for a long time. Zero issues riding the 250 in Michigan, in fact I prefer it over the 450. The modern 250s are incredible. For starting out, even the 250FX is more than you need. 

• Like 1