Backpack recommendations?

I had a cheap Amazon hydration pack and it got destroyed when I crashed about a month ago. The straps ripped and the hydration bladder popped. The Camelbak mule is on sale at REI right now, but it's only 200 denir, which I'm afraid is not strong enough to hold up to multiple crashes. Can anyone recommend a strong backpack around 15L? Or is the CamelBak mule really strong enough?

Thanks!

I’ve used the standard Mule for years with no issues. Plenty of water and storage capacity. 

• Like 1

I have a Dakine ski backpack that I have had for about 15 years.  I use it for long, hot desert rides.  I can stuff a 3l bladder in it, some snacks, and some necessities.  Plus it has the waist and chest straps, so it stays in place nicely.

After 15 years, I've only managed to get one small tear in it.  And yes, I even hauled my skis with it.  That's what I originally got it for...  but works for everything.  

Edited by KcDavis

11 hours ago, Kowabunga_Dude said:

I had a cheap Amazon hydration pack and it got destroyed when I crashed about a month ago. The straps ripped and the hydration bladder popped. The Camelbak mule is on sale at REI right now, but it's only 200 denir, which I'm afraid is not strong enough to hold up to multiple crashes. Can anyone recommend a strong backpack around 15L? Or is the CamelBak mule really strong enough?

Thanks!

Timely, I had a junk backpack as well and just researched for the last 3 days.  The quality packs from Klim, USWE, Osprey, etc. all were $120+ For the 15L sizes.  I haven’t owned any of them so take this advice with a grain of salt but what I just ordered today was the USWE Lizard that was on sale on their sight.  50% of and only $40.  No hydration pack but I ordered one elsewhere since it is hydration pack compatible.  All in, I’m in for $70 with shipping and tax.  There seems to be lots of praise for their No monkey harness set up.  Figured it was a cheap way to try one out.

https://www.uswe-sports.com/lizard-16-grey-cargo-16l

Another vote for USWE, in whatever size suits your purpose.  Nothing I have ever had is more comfortable and bounces around less than the USWE.  I have had mine for over three years, and other than being a little faded, it shows no signs of wear.  Definitely worth the price of admission.