Hey guys,

So I’m about to go to college in the fall, and I’m not ready to give up dirt biking. Since I will have to buy my next bike = very slim budget, I’m thinking about buying a blown out (or running if I could find one) yz 250 and converting it to an enduro bike. Has anyone done this?  If so, are there other bikes I should be looking at?  I feel that for the price of a used off-road bike, I could potentially have a converted Mx bike that is taylored to my likings. And riding that ex Mx bike may make me a better rider if I learn it correctly. I’m coming off an xcw-f 350, so I’m not entirely new to riding, but I still have a lot to learn. Another plus to this is that I will learn my bike well (from a mechanical aspect).  So what do you guys think?  Is it worth the time and money?  Thanks for any input you can give 

7 hours ago, Fsxfisherman1 said:

I’m coming off an xcw-f 350

THE most noticeable thing you'll come across is that no matter what you do to the YZ250 to make it more trail friendly,

you'll be stuck with a close-ratio gearbox that has a 'tall' first gear and, a 'short' 5th gear favoring motocross riding,

meaning far from ideal for low speed trail crawling and, faster paced open terrain cruising (depends on your terrain of course).

Second will be the stiff MX suspension but you can copy the internal valving specs from the YZ250X .

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, mlatour said:

THE most noticeable thing you'll come across is that no matter what you do to the YZ250 to make it more trail friendly,

you'll be stuck with a close-ratio gearbox that has a 'tall' first gear and, a 'short' 5th gear favoring motocross riding,

meaning far from ideal for low speed trail crawling and, open terrain cruising (depends on your terrain of course).

Second will be the stiff MX suspension but you can copy the internal valving specs from the YZ250X .

True. But, It will be a ST weapon 👍. I don't know why anyone would bother to ride anything else :devil:.

Can copy the entire engine setup of the 250X if you really wanted to. I only really ride ST, so love a converted MX bike. It's my first preference.

Really depends on the terrain, I've seen many of your riding videos,

many of your trails look like the dirt 'roads' I ride to access my trails.

Of course we all have different perspectives in mind when thinking 'trail/off-road/woods',

in my case I'm talking like 1-2-3rd gear at most stop-and-go terrain and, really nothing that allows for more than a 5 seconds blast down a 'faster' section.

Edited by mlatour

So your off to the college, and you dont want to give up riding. Excellent choices. Now, budget friendly enduro machine. YZ250 can be done, with a WR transmission swap, big ugly ass tank, comfy seat, WR stator, etc. Kinda a spendy build and maybe a bit demanding to up keep. Personally, I think, my opinion, a XR600R. Yes its barbaric, yes it's kick start, yeah its heavy too. BUT they are simple,cheap, normally street legal, reliable, and a breeze to maintain. Another old and forgotten about bike, the good old RFS KTM400 EXC. These can be found reasonable, they are also very reliable, fast-ish, and definitely can hold it's own ANYWHERE offroad, including MX. Good luck with your search.

5 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Really depends on the terrain, I've seen many of your riding videos,

many of your trails look like the dirt 'roads' I ride to access my trails.

We all have different perspectives in mind when thinking 'trail/off-road',

I my case I'm talking like 1-2-3rd gear at most stop-and-go terrain, nothing 'flowy' for more than a 5 seconds blast.

That's just out he back of my house, not our proper trails, not even close.
I do prefer flowy though. Stop start, technical stuff, bores me, I like to get into a rhythm/flow. I can't do that on stoppy start stuff.
All my mates are into extreme technical stuff. If they're actually riding, I'll do it, just so I can ride with someone else. I hate riding alone. Every now and then I'll actually enjoy it.

You've depressed me :D. Just reminded me I have no one to ride with atm lol. It sucks.

• Like 1

what do you mean by enduro riding? Do you mean competitive enduro and hare scrambles events? Or do you mean putting around in the tight technical trails. I'm a bit surprised you are not just going to keep riding your 350 XCWF.

For a low cost, low maintenance ride for pretty technical trails, I suggest a Kawi KDX 220. They are all about 15 years old, but are reliable, light, have good suspensions, and are cheap.