Black accordion shock guards

Are those black accordion front shock guards really necessary?   Or  can I remove them and add an aftermarket guard? Like pictured below 

2593E836-B702-48F1-94B3-260932B9E0B3.jpeg

BCDD9822-180B-485B-B74D-8A40C42CF095.jpeg

Edited by johnsand
Typo

The ones you post look like they are for Upside Down forks on a newer (or older MX) bike. 

The boots do protect the tubes from a lot of dings and scrapes which eventually eat seals. You do need to clean out in there occasionally. 

All my conventional forked bikes (street and dirt) have them. 

• Like 4

Back in the days of rwu forks we used to remove them and fit scraper seals. Some of the very early (pre '80s) trail bikes came stock without the accordion boots. But, as has been pointed out, the forks can suffer from more damage with the chrome tubes exposed. Not such an issue if you ride on your own, but a real issue if you ride in groups following someone throwing up rocks and sh*t. Also doesn't matter if Mr Honda is picking up the bill.

s1600_111511db002.jpg?1321382188

I've also seen a CR500 (obviously will work on an XR too with some mounts) fitted with one of these suzookee front plates/fork guards.

PhotoGrid_1406241180783_zpsf1e02637.jpg~

Edited by DEATH_INC.
I thought of something else. Ok?
  • Like 3

Wow ,  have'nt seen those in years .   Forgot all about them ....   better than nothing , but not as good as the rubber accordion type ....   

A long........time ago when I put the Scotts fork brace on mine, I also put the Scotts fork guard kit on it, along with Sealsavers. When the fork guards completely wore out and had to be removed, I just ran the Sealsavers by themselves.

Unlike upside down forks, the XRs conventional forks inner tubes are up higher and don't see, nor is susceptible to, near as much trail trash or damage. If you can just keep dust and mud out of the seals, you're golden and the Sealsavers do that. I never, in the 20 years I owned the bike, had to replace a seal due to leakage.

Today, Sealsavers have improved a little. You can now get the wrap around, velcro on type that don't require you to remove the fork tubes from the triples to be able to install, and they work every bit as good to keep gunk out of your seals. I put them on every bike I own, even my big KTM 1090.

SealSavers.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

Yep, mostly for looks...  On conventional forks, I'll use a set of wipers plus the Scotts-type fork guards, or just a set of shorty SealSavers...

200front.jpg

200left03.jpg

XR400 Dual-Sport.jpg

• Like 2

The neoprene seal savers are great at holding sand and dirt against the chrome tube its supposed to protect. That makes it like 200 grit sandpaper against your fork tubes every time you hit a bump. Plus they adversely affect fork action. Fork boots are by far your best protection. I won't put seal savers on any of my customers bikes.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

On 5/24/2020 at 6:16 PM, johnsand said:

Are those black accordion front shock guards really necessary?   Or  can I remove them and add an aftermarket guard? Like pictured below 

2593E836-B702-48F1-94B3-260932B9E0B3.jpeg

BCDD9822-180B-485B-B74D-8A40C42CF095.jpeg

Absolutly! leave em on, or you will be replacing seals frequently. I keeps em on my old scoots, so should you..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Back in the days of rwu forks we used to remove them and fit scraper seals. Some of the very early (pre '80s) trail bikes came stock without the accordion boots. But, as has been pointed out, the forks can suffer from more damage with the chrome tubes exposed. Not such an issue if you ride on your own, but a real issue if you ride in groups following someone throwing up rocks and sh*t. Also doesn't matter if Mr Honda is picking up the bill.

s1600_111511db002.jpg?1321382188

I've also seen a CR500 (obviously will work on an XR too with some mounts) fitted with one of these suzookee front plates/fork guards.

PhotoGrid_1406241180783_zpsf1e02637.jpg~

That bike my man is a awesome works bike. Not sure if it was David Bailey's or Rick Johnson, but its bad to the bone. I love that pipe and rear disk, those classic Hondas were the snizz!

• Like 3

All's it takes is 1 rock to a tube, then a ding, then seals go. Then you have to sand the shit out of it to hopefully make the tube smooth again. All because they fork boots look gay:)   Go for it!