Yamaha Power Tuner Heat Map Analysis Tool

Hello everyone,

the in-laws are in town so it gave me the opportunity to let them watch the kids and do some pet projects. And ride of course.

I've been working with GP on maps and I thought that it could be pretty useful to get a feel for where some of us are riding RPM/TP wise, so that we can make maps that are more meaningful to us. Example, I don't ride above 8500 RPM, and rarely above 1/2 throttle, so why focus the map in that realm. Might as well go higher resolution on the map, in the area that we ride.

In short, I run a screen capture utility while I'm out riding, with my phone in my backpack recording my "Monitor" screen. Then, take that video, convert each image to a frame, and then analyze the frames using software. None of it is rocket science. I'm going to admit straight up that my coding is crap. But, it got it done. In this example here it got recorded as 20 frames per second.

Anyway we could debate how useful this is, but, I think it's cool, and, it was a great distraction from "normal" life.

So see here for the output of my little C# program (image attached). This is me riding a 7 minute "rock trail", extremely technical, no open areas.

I'm just working out certain bugs and kinks and trying to make the thing at least a little bit user friendly. Last thing I want to do is hand this out and then people can't figure it out.

I tried putting a bit of time in translating the coolant and air temperature from the numbers on the PowerTuner, but a bit of a struggle for now.

Anyway if anyone has thoughts, let me know!

Example Heat Map.PNG

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, lucgallant said:

Hello everyone,

the in-laws are in town so it gave me the opportunity to let them watch the kids and do some pet projects. And ride of course.

I've been working with GP on maps and I thought that it could be pretty useful to get a feel for where some of us are riding RPM/TP wise, so that we can make maps that are more meaningful to us. Example, I don't ride above 8500 RPM, and rarely above 1/2 throttle, so why focus the map in that realm. Might as well go higher resolution on the map, in the area that we ride.

In short, I run a screen capture utility while I'm out riding, with my phone in my backpack recording my "Monitor" screen. Then, take that video, convert each image to a frame, and then analyze the frames using software. None of it is rocket science. I'm going to admit straight up that my coding is crap. But, it got it done. In this example here it got recorded as 20 frames per second.

Anyway we could debate how useful this is, but, I think it's cool, and, it was a great distraction from "normal" life.

So see here for the output of my little C# program (image attached). This is me riding a 7 minute "rock trail", extremely technical, no open areas.

I'm just working out certain bugs and kinks and trying to make the thing at least a little bit user friendly. Last thing I want to do is hand this out and then people can't figure it out.

I tried putting a bit of time in translating the coolant and air temperature from the numbers on the PowerTuner, but a bit of a struggle for now.

Anyway if anyone has thoughts, let me know!

Example Heat Map.PNG

I have no idea how to offer any useful input in this but I can't wait to see what you and @GP  come up with. I tend to ride in a higher gear at lower RPM so I'm ready to test your results

I looked at that pic and got a headache.  Im  just going to keep the. DBTM+IG  map installed and ride.   The map simply works for me.   

• Like 1

Nice work Luc. It may look more friendly plotting RPM and TPS with respect to time.  Then you can scale it as you like and get an overall picture of what your using.  If I wasn't doing this stuff 12hrs a day lately I'd help but I'm burnt out when I get home.  Cool idea and for sure you can learn from it.  Only thing it doesn't  integrate is the map itself, that is it shows counts of activity in particular cells but if those cells were different, I suspect the counts would be as well.   Maybe try adding weighting to the algorithm for cell values and see what it looks like?  Assume what we know is true about ign and fuel with respect to power and response.  

Well for sure it's not for everyone to know all this information.

I am pretty much done the first revision of this program, and would like to upload for everyone to have access/use/test.

There is one thing that would benefit me greatly however. My phone is 720x1440 resolution. Other phones are different.

If a few people could take a few screenshots of their phone screen while on the Monitor page (with the bike connected and throttle at 50% (don't need to have the bike running). If anyone actually uses a tablet for this please send screenshots of that too.

Then upload 2-3 screenshots to here, and I will test them in my program.

See attached for what it looks like / does.

Thanks!!!

PTA.png

PTA Output.PNG

Edited by lucgallant

11 hours ago, GP said:

Maybe try adding weighting to the algorithm for cell values and see what it looks like?  

Can you elaborate on this one a tad more? How do you propose using the cell values in the existing heat map?

Or do you mean just plot the existing engine map on to the heat map in some way?

2 minutes ago, lucgallant said:

Can you elaborate on this one a tad more? How do you propose using the cell values in the existing heat map?

Or do you mean just plot the existing engine map on to the heat map in some way?

I mean the data points of TPS and RPM would not be plotted directly but be biased by the values of ign and fuel in the cells the represent.  In effect they are pointers, and the data in the cells they point to is used to approximate demand for power.  That way, you can plot what the rider is actually requesting,  and alter maps based on demand for a particular set of data points(terrain).  The weighting will be scaled from min to max, for example low advance values and high fuel have minimum weights, where high advance values and moderate fuel have high weights. 

This is getting over the head of many here but it would work in a crude way.  I do similar algorithms to control temperatures on complex manifolds in process control applications.

3 minutes ago, GP said:

I mean the data points of TPS and RPM would not be plotted directly but be biased by the values of ign and fuel in the cells the represent.  In effect they are pointers, and the data in the cells they point to is used to approximate demand for power.  That way, you can plot what the rider is actually requesting,  and alter maps based on demand for a particular set of data points(terrain).  The weighting will be scaled from min to max, for example low advance values and high fuel have minimum weights, where high advance values and moderate fuel have high weights. 

This is getting over the head of many here but it would work in a crude way.  I do similar algorithms to control temperatures on complex manifolds in process control applications.

Ah yes I understand.

Excel would definitely be the place to do this in. Once I refine this small application, could give it a go. 

This is awesome.  To be clear, this is plotting the throttle position and rpms over the duration of a period of your ride?  I am into it!

Your plot shows the majority of throttle is at 0-40% throttle open and 2000-6000 rpms.  Half of my map is above those numbers.  I am sure it’s similar to most riding regardless of rider.  I can probably make more use of the third row and column in my maps

Edited by Honeybagder

1 minute ago, Honeybagder said:

This is awesome.  To be clear, this is plotting the throttle position and rpms over the duration of a period of your ride?  I am into it!

Yes, so the video records your entire ride, and then the first plot in this post, is all that data. This was a 7 minute lap, of a local rock trail. 

One of the refinement areas would be to have a proper heat map, where if there is a higher concentration of points in an area, instead of plotting the points one over top another, it'll colour them to show it's more concentrated and focused. Rev 2...

Very interesting to see, thanks for posting.  I suspect that the plot is typical of about 90% of riders and shows that around 60% of the engine map is unused most of the time.  It kind of confirms something that occurred to my when I started building my own maps; I found small changes in the map were much more noticeable in the busiest region of your plot (probably just because that's the part in use most of the time) and changes to areas outside this were more difficult to detect.

Alright... I'm a bit out of steam on this one. 

Anyway here's a "rough" version of the program and I don't say it lightly. If you're not computer literate I wouldn't try it because I'm nearly sure it won't work, largely because of phone resolution. If you've got the same resolution as me then you should be good:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bq6vo6913nxpz50/YamahaPowerTunerAnalyzer.zip?dl=0

And for those who don't want to play with it, here's an excel of the output.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nevud2tzdh2x2oj/Base Tool.xlsx?dl=0

I've attached the most key screenshots.

EDIT: Also the lines I put on there for the maps, aren't completely accurate, however, it's a starting point and you get the gist. The graphing capability is there, at least.

Connector-Rock-Transit Home Heat Map.PNG

Coolant and Ambient Air.PNG

Rock Trail Heat Map.PNG

Edited by lucgallant
  • Like 2