Rob04064

2011 Escape AWD dirtbike hitch mount

Hey guys my wife has a 2011 Escape AWD which is basically the vehicle we take when we travel. I want to add a hitch and one of those hitch mount dirt bike carriers from HF so I can bring my 96 cr 250 with us next time we go North. She's on board but I know she won't like it if it makes it squat too much in the ass end. Anyone here have an Escape with this setup? Dont wanna spend the time/effort if it's not a good idea. 

That vehicle has a wheelbase of 174.4" and weighs about 3400# depending on what configuration you have...

A 260# dirt bike on the back end wont squat it any more that a couple of adults in the back row and some groceries in the hatch

Add a class III or IV hitch and strap on the bike carrier. \

I always recommend class IV hitches.   

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Hitch-pt-Class_IV-pm-Curt.aspx

672668513_ScreenHunter_1911May_2508_55.jpg.d92d4870b824bb22725f6a1c107ff6d0.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, MVI said:

That vehicle has a wheelbase of 174.4" and weighs about 3400# depending on what configuration you have...

A 260# dirt bike on the back end wont squat it any more that a couple of adults in the back row and some groceries in the hatch

Add a class III or IV hitch and strap on the bike carrier. \

I always recommend class IV hitches.   

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Hitch-pt-Class_IV-pm-Curt.aspx

672668513_ScreenHunter_1911May_2508_55.jpg.d92d4870b824bb22725f6a1c107ff6d0.jpg

Thanks! Great info, 

Done deal 

• Haha 1

FWIW - I have a Versahaul hitch - I bought it cheap used,  and it works great.  Highly recommend it.  I drive 7 hours to the AMA OZARK 200 each year and at 75-80 mph and the Versahaul has never disappointed.  You do need a fork saver for this set upDone.jpg.e0c65b7ca66e9e0f4a2f5858d5592ed0.jpg

There is a new hitch out there that is slightly better, call RACK-N-ROLL

https://racknroll.com.au/product/rack-n-roll-heavy-duty-mx-motorcycle-carrier/

Very well built, works superior many others, but costs more. you do not need a fork saver for this unit.

781864294_ScreenHunter_1912May_2509_18.jpg.064df827b9db4d19cec6384527fd2367.jpg

PS ... I am not a fan of the uber cheap carriers like HF.  

I wont trust my $17k dirt bike on a light duty carrier like the HF carrier.   Here again on the HF unit,  you do need a Fork Saver

Edited by MVI

3 minutes ago, MVI said:

FWIW - I have a Versahaul hitch - I bought it cheap used,  and it works great.  Highly recommend it.  I drive 7 hours to the AMA OZARK 200 each year and at 75-80 mph and the Versahaul has never disappointed.  You do need a fork saver for this set upDone.jpg.e0c65b7ca66e9e0f4a2f5858d5592ed0.jpg

Very well built, works superior many others, but costs more. you do not need a fork saver for this unit.

I wont trust my $17k dirt bike on a light duty carrier like the HF carrier.   Here again on the HF unit,  you do need a Fork Saver

Good point. Yes HF can be pretty junky, i thought this item would be decent tho. My bike definitely isnt worth 17k like yours but still dont want anything bad to happen. That would be a disaster. 

Can anyone vouch for the HF hitch carrier? I would think for my needs it would be sufficient. (2 annual trips 4 hours up I 95)

here are the bad reviews you don't want to read on the HF Carrier

https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

look at the 1 star reviews.   Seems like quality is a gamble at best.

look at the 2 star reviews.   Poor design, and not for 120 wide tires with aggressive knobbies

Good Luck......

5 minutes ago, MVI said:

here are the bad reviews you don't want to read on the HF Carrier

https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

look at the 1 star reviews.   Seems like quality is a gamble at best.

look at the 2 star reviews.   Poor design, and not for 120 wide tires with aggressive knobbies

Good Luck......

Thanks for pointing that out. I will wait to see if others have any input. Seems to me like mostly 5 star. Most of the 1 star were missing hardware out of the box or hard to unload. Definitely willing to screw around a little bit with this to keep things affordable. Not gonna rush out today and buy it but the reviews didn't irk me at all. 

• Haha 1

Keep in mind any of those hitch carriers will cantilever from the hitch and the farther you extend the carrier the more it will load down the hitch. Try to find one that mounts as close as possible to hitch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MVI said:

exactly the reason to install a class IV hitch

Doesnt look like class IV is available for the escape. Gonna have to go with class III. Curt makes one for about 140 with a 2" receiver 

I found a Class III MAX, which has  a 675# tongue weight rating.  Twice that of a std Class III hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Escape/2011/75751.html?VehicleID=20118753

Discount Ramps has several quality hitch racks that work great. Have never seen a rack that needed a fork saver. No benefit and adds more hassle IMO. The current HF racks are fine and Walmart also has a good one in some stores.

• Helpful 2

Just now, kxlubber said:

Cycle Gear has a cheap steel hauler, same price as HF

Thanx ill check that out. Actually checked CL real quick and there are several in the area, might go that route. Thanx for all the help guys 

Posted (edited)

I want to see the 17k dirtbike. Better not have a brown tank and fender bags all over it. Lol.

Edited by Turn,TheScrew
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MVI said:

skip the cheap ass carriers if you plan to keep it. i used one for a single trip and instantly hated it. didnt give another one a try until the rack-n-roll (rack-n-ride here in the states). it is great, super solid and ive even taken my truck offroading (legit trail/rock climbing) with it. bike never moved.

fork savers are a joke. never used one and never will.

3 hours ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

I want to see the 17k dirtbike. Better not have a brown tank and fender bags all over it. Lol.

Yep, that $17K was funny!

I have the HF bike carrier...was fine until it broke. Tie down point on the truck side of the rack snapped and the bike fell off the back. Luckily it was in the staging area and not on the highway. Also glad that hook broke and not the other side...it would've really sucked to launch my only $10k dirtbike into the back of my much more than $10k Tacoma.

I've got a welder and enough fab skills, so I'm going to heavily modify the existing rack. 0/10 times would I buy the HF rack again.

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Helpful 1

it's pretty easy to spend that if you add it up... Lots of mods.  Cost are fairly common on the 450L site.

806243821_ScreenHunter_1919May_2611_30.jpg.450f1338e451110616c0f5e3cf9afd38.jpg

here is another 450L build in the $17K range

Edited by MVI

3 hours ago, Sacrifice said:

skip the cheap ass carriers if you plan to keep it. i used one for a single trip and instantly hated it. didnt give another one a try until the rack-n-roll (rack-n-ride here in the states). it is great, super solid and ive even taken my truck offroading (legit trail/rock climbing) with it. bike never moved.

fork savers are a joke. never used one and never will.

At least we agree on the fork saver. Why add a failure point lol.