Hey guys, so me and my buddy went out riding the other day and we had a little race, his 2014 KX250F vs my 06 KX450. I thought I would have easily smoked him. To my surprise we were dead even :/. Now I am starting to believe something is definitely wrong with my bike. The piston is brand new, the valves were recently adjusted. However my carb has been in need of a good clean. Are these newer 250F's really that fast? Or is it possible something is wrong with my bike (Clutches, carb, valves)? He does have an FMF pipe on his bike and he is definitely lighter than me by a couple pounds at least. What so you guys think?

Edited by OThree250F

On pavement you should win. Swap bikes and race again.

Depends on the track/course too. Tight course, the 250 would do better, open desert, the 450 would win. Apples and oranges. Not going to make a pie with an orange.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, William1 said:

Depends on the track/course too. Tight course, the 250 would do better, open desert, the 450 would win. Apples and oranges. Not going to make a pie with an orange.

I see, he is the better rider too. Not to mention, my KX450F being a 4-Speed I actually went down 1 Tooth on the front sprocket recently and we raced from a roll. I just got a new FMF pipe and some other mods, ill see if he is down to race again.

34 minutes ago, OThree250F said:

I see, he is the better rider too. Not to mention, my KX450F being a 4-Speed I actually went down 1 Tooth on the front sprocket recently and we raced from a roll. I just got a new FMF pipe and some other mods, ill see if he is down to race again.

Swap bikes.

There is a video of a pro rider on a BRP smoking local experts on real MX bikes at a track. When he passes, he flashes the high beam, uses the horn and turn signals. Humbling and humiliating. 99% rider 1% bike a lot of the time. Do not take that as an affront, take it as a challenge to work on the skills to get better. Hone ability and not blasting.

My first pro road race, there was a young punk there at Loudon. Spencer. Lapped me PDQ.

Conditions make a huge difference too.

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Swap bikes.

There is a video of a pro rider on a BRP smoking local experts on real MX bikes at a track. When he passes, he flashes the high beam, uses the horn and turn signals. Humbling and humiliating. 99% rider 1% bike a lot of the time. Do not take that as an affront, take it as a challenge to work on the skills to get better. Hone ability and not blasting.

My first pro road race, there was a young punk there at Loudon. Spencer. Lapped me PDQ.

Conditions make a huge difference too.

I am trying to work on my skills but living in Vegas, I mainly do open desert riding. Ive been wanting to hit a track to work on them. That day we were racing on a Dry lake bed though.

One thing i've noticed is that its best to shift lower in the RPM band on these 450s...coming down from a 250F myself I am used to over revving this 450.

3 minutes ago, OThree250F said:

I am trying to work on my skills but living in Vegas, I mainly do open desert riding. Ive been wanting to hit a track to work on them. That day we were racing on a Dry lake bed though.

One thing i've noticed is that its best to shift lower in the RPM band on these 450s...coming down from a 250F myself I am used to over revving this 450.

Skill practice is done at low speed and perfecting accuracy. Then increasing speed and retaining accuracy. Your goal is effortlessly threading a needle at 100 mph.

Yeah, 450's you loaf more and really have to 'drive' the bike. Easier to do at the beginning of the day, harder at the end due to weight.