Would you ride this untouched 07 XR650R?

I finally got the exact pig I was looking for after a long search. Never been ridden. Original owner claimed it was never even started after leaving the dealership. 
I know it sounds like a tall tale, but It’s a true Cinderella story (a long one if anyone is interested in intricate details.) I inspected it twice for 2 hours before buying it and have been going through it for 2 weeks getting it ready to ride after being stored (indoors) for 12+ years, and I can’t find evidence of even the slightest amount of use. 
Now it’s finally ready, but man, this thing is beautiful! It’s like a collector’s item now and probably belongs in a museum or something. Hard to ride it after it’s been so well preserved for so long. Could probably keep it new, but I wanted a BRP to ride, not to just polish, stare at, and show off. What would you do with this thing?

2142211F-1FF9-4739-AFD5-411DFCBB7C6F.jpeg

A236C4F3-7685-4D12-9519-5C974A40C4C8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, Pigwrangler said:

I finally got the exact pig I was looking for after a long search. Never been ridden. Original owner claimed it was never even started after leaving the dealership. 
I know it sounds like a tall tale, but It’s a true Cinderella story (a long one if anyone is interested in intricate details.) I inspected it twice for 2 hours before buying it and have been going through it for 2 weeks getting it ready to ride after being stored (indoors) for 12+ years, and I can’t find evidence of even the slightest amount of use. 
Now it’s finally ready, but man, this thing is beautiful! It’s like a collector’s item now and probably belongs in a museum or something. Hard to ride it after it’s been so well preserved for so long. Could probably keep it new, but I wanted a BRP to ride, not to just polish, stare at, and show off. What would you do with this thing?

You might list it in the classifieds just to see what responses you get.

They're made to be ridden so that's what id do. Even being the die hard 2 smoker I am it'd be hard to pass up a brand new xr650. That bike is sweet. Great find. Myself id rather find a brand new older cr250 or better yet cr500. That's what dreams are made off.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Mine was that shiny when I bought it, and I love riding it. Of course that was back in 2007, and I've still got it. I could see keeping that one new if I had another one for riding, otherwise I'd be riding the shiny one.

Kristian

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Zak Johnson said:

They're made to be ridden so that's what id do. Even being the die hard 2 smoker I am it'd be hard to pass up a brand new xr650. That bike is sweet. Great find. Myself id rather find a brand new older cr250 or better yet cr500. That's what dreams are made off.

Definitely leaning toward riding it. I even said that same thing a couple times.. It was built to be ridden. But there is something cool about preserving a classic piece of Honda history. It may be the only new one left now. And the last production year. It could be the newest existing 650R

Always loved the CRs too. First real bike I had was an ‘87 CR 80.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'd try to resell it to someone with lots of money and little common sense. Like an engineer or politician.

Seriously though, it's like a Glock, a tool. If you really love this model, you just got zapped by a time machine.

So it's 2007. Get riding. 

Edited by DEL107
  • Like 5

There was a supposedly un-ridden one for sale here in Canada last month or so. I don't remember what the asking price was, but I don't remember it being astronomically high, maybe $7000 Canadian, which was about the list price new.

Kristian

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, turbo_bird said:

There was a supposedly un-ridden one for sale here in Canada last month or so. I don't remember what the asking price was, but I don't remember it being astronomically high, maybe $7000 Canadian, which was about the list price new.

Kristian

I saw that online one too. It was also from one of the last production years. either 05 or 06.

3 hours ago, Pigwrangler said:

Sell it. I'll buy it...

• Haha 1

I'd try selling it to see if there's any interest from a collector, and/or contact a couple of auto museums for the same.

It'd be nice to see it preserved in all it's glory, and if you get enough for it you can buy another and have some cash to tickle it up a bit.

Or You could put it in the lounge as a piece of artwork.

Otherwise, well, they are made to be ridden.

4 hours ago, Pigwrangler said:

I know it sounds like a tall tale, but It’s a true Cinderella story (a long one if anyone is interested in intricate details.)

Go on, tell us the story.

• Like 2

you spent 2 hours inspecting that obviously brand new bike and the guy patiently watched you do this?  

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Museums dont buy anything,  they get donations.

Collectors dont collect 10 year old mass production bikes. Not collectors who pay big dollars anyway. 

Every new bike I ever bought, was shiny and sweet looking the day I brought it home.

Ride it. Drop it in the dirt first,  like a new helmet. It makes the care go away.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Create a Ransom Note from magazine letters for Jay Leno, letting him know you have his bike. If he doesn’t buy it, ride the poor thing. It’s waited long enough!

• Like 1

If you already have an EBay account, it might be worth your time to see what you can get for it, you never know. Do it auction style, if you don't like the direction it's going, cancel the auction. Sweet bike.

if you can afford, it might be worth storing it away and buying a clean used one for riding. there are becoming more collectable and i could see down the road some Honda XR freak paying a nice chunk of $$ for a brand new R model

and if you cant take it, nothing wrong w 2 650R’s- one offroad and 1 motarded 👍

• Like 1

To me it's not collectable, any added value is just that it's in good condition.  Since someone plated it I'd just ride it as a ds and try to keep it in good condition for resale and the novelty of riding a stock R.

• Like 3

I count 3 dimples in the right fork boot. Bike is ruined! Might as well ride it.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 6