So I've got a 1993 husky wxc250 2t , but that doesn't matter too much I just need a starting point on something that went wrong. 

I was about ten minutes into my ride when this happened - I was about halfway through third gear, not an excessive rpm, and I heard a very aggressive noise from the motor, I pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop (the motor had died). I was almost positive I had blown the motor and it was going to be seized. But when I pushed the kick starter down everything was fine. I pushed it back home, pulled the plug, turned it over, turned it through all the gears and nothing felt wrong. So I figured I would just start it up and give it a shot. I started it up and it sounded fine on idle, but as soon as a gave it any throttle a very loud "clanking" noise came from the top end. Almost comparable to a rod knock, but I can tell it is coming from the top end.

My best guess would be something in the power valves, I am experienced with working on motors but power valves are new to me. What do you guys think it is? I'm just looking for I tip before I tear into it. Thanks in advance - Devin

Needs to come apart, or at least the cylinder needs to come off.  Could be the crank, PV, bearing ? 

• Like 1

No loud noises should come from the top end. Power valves open when the engine revs and snap shut when the throttle is off. They don’t make noise. If for some reason the power valve breaks then it’s possible it could interfere with the piston. That’s never good. I suggest you open up the engine and inspect it. 

+1, pressed pins can break on the pv letting it come in and kiss the piston, bomb proof  fix was to weld them before they broke. 

pv pin.jpg