It's official... all my boys can smoke me now.

So over the last several years,  my oldest son,  now 19 has been spanking my butt on single track, MX, you name it.  My second oldest,  now 17 started doing it about two years ago.  The only one I was still faster than was my youngest... until today.  When he's on his YZ125, he's just a hair faster.  When he switched with his older brothers yz250, I lost sight of him in less than 60 seconds on the trail.   He's 14 and completely thumped me.  Then his older brother blew by me on the YZ125 and I lost sight of him in less than twenty seconds! Later,  we were talking about it and they all three basically said,  "well geez dad,  you're almost 50... what do you expect?"    So for those of you who still have younger kids and they think you're the man,  enjoy it now,  because it don't last. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

I'm 64 and my son (24 now) loves to go riding, sometimes with me too. 🙂 He is fast but I, for the most part, can hang with him. We have great times and that's all that matter to me!

Edited by ride200mi
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, bullmastiff said:

So over the last several years,  my oldest son,  now 19 has been spanking my butt on single track, MX, you name it.  My second oldest,  now 17 started doing it about two years ago.  The only one I was still faster than was my youngest... until today.  When he's on his YZ125, he's just a hair faster.  When he switched with his older brothers yz250, I lost sight of him in less than 60 seconds on the trail.   He's 14 and completely thumped me.  Then his older brother blew by me on the YZ125 and I lost sight of him in less than twenty seconds! Later,  we were talking about it and they all three basically said,  "well geez dad,  you're almost 50... what do you expect?"    So for those of you who still have younger kids and they think you're the man,  enjoy it now,  because it don't last. 

3 sons to ride with, "half ya luck".

Riding 125's had to help.

I'd give anything to have 3 sons to ride with. Even if they are faster than me. I wouldn't care. I'd be out there though. 

OP~ Maybe it's time to see "how slow they can ride." (Get a trials bike...)

• Like 2

Guess what? As time passes, they'll get even faster as you slow down. Enjoy every minute of it. When they start to wait for you every couple hundred yards and don't (seriously) bust your butt for it, you'll know you raised good men.

• Like 2

Time to start racing dirty lol.

i know a dude whose 50, I met him when he was 38, and I thought he was 28 then. And he still looks the exact same. All he does is mountain and dirt bike, everyday basically. Lives the life of a teenager from what I can tell, I have no clue what he does for money. But I want in lol. He’s insanely fast, but I think one of his kids can beat him now...barely. 

kudos for staying riding and remember all the times you beat them!

22 hours ago, NORTY said:

I'd give anything to have 3 sons to ride with. Even if they are faster than me. I wouldn't care. I'd be out there though. 

OP~ Maybe it's time to see "how slow they can ride." (Get a trials bike...)

Oh,  I thank God every day for my boys. It just seems like yesterday that they would look up to me and ask for help or want to know what they are doing wrong.  Now I look up to my oldest two and eye to eye with my youngest (I'm 6'2").  My dad quit riding when I was 16 when he got hurt.  I remember how it bothered me that I couldn't go riding with him any more.  I eventually sold my bike and didn't get back into it until a few years ago when my boys begged me.  I'm going to keep riding just so I have something else to do with them.   I work out harder now just so I can be in decent shape and not get hurt. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bullmastiff said:

That actually sounds like a proud Dad accomplishment.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 6:44 PM, bullmastiff said:

Been there, done that.......gets even better next round with Grand sons ( my 14 yo grand son is getting there way quick). :busted:

Joe

• Like 1

Must suck to know you're getting old and slow.  LOL.  I have 2 daughters that love to ride and I cant wait till they're fast enough to pass me.  Mine are 5 and 10 so I can still feel fast for a little while longer.  It's always fun watching them try new things, but something about riding, they just get so determined to keep trying until they get it right.  Even my 5 year old just yesterday, I'm not sure which of us was more proud me or her, but she finally mastered standing up through a rough part of our yard with a lot of big roots.  Enjoy these times, these are the memories that have lasting effects.  

3 hours ago, Boatsnbikes said:

Must suck to know you're getting old and slow.  LOL.   

Beats the alternative

• Like 1

Start them young, and they are riders for life. Daughter at 5 years old is now in her 20s and faster than most men she rides with on a 300rr

bigair.jpg.b82c6166d2df2ae12d2c7110e68227c7.jpg1638445301_familyofbetas.jpg.ae7918425dad2c93a547733b4a36334c.jpg

• Like 3

This thread reminds me of the movie, "Why We Ride."

I remember seeing it with some of the riders featured in it. (Private screening.)

There's a piece on a family with youngsters that are teaching the very youngest, how to ride. Out in the desert, mom, dad, older bro/sis, younger bro/sis. Just awesome. There are very few activities where every single member of the family can participate on a level much higher than a beginner. Competitive shooting could be another, I guess. 

Actually, motorcycling and shooting are similar in some ways.

They both require practice to become proficient.

They both require practice to remain proficient

They are both "learned" skills.

They both can make noise. (Ok, I made that one up!)

They both can included males and females at the highest level.

They both can cost a lot of money, if you let them. 

I'm sure there are more.  

As mentioned earlier, it's great to be able to go riding with sons or daughters. I don't care that they are faster than me because its all about the bond/ time sharing  between parents and children. Something that is missing a lot in families these days. Long live family ride days!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, bullmastiff said:

Sounds like you have now completed your parental obligations!

Posted (edited)

I still have some time yet before my boys will be able to beat me. I can’t wait for that day to happen. My youngest is 7 and racing his first Harescramble tomorrow. My dad is racing and so am I so there will be 3 generations all racing on the same day!

Edited by Leroyracing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leroyracing said:

I still have some time yet before my boys will be able to beat me. I can’t wait for that day to happen. My youngest is 7 and racing his first Harescramble tomorrow. My dad is racing and so am I so there will be 3 generations all racing on the same day!

That's cool. We had a family like that at our club. Grand dad was quick.

My son is my step son, raised him from just before 3 yrs old. He's really good on a BMX, does park. I can barely watch TBH, freaks me right out. You'd think It'd be an easy transition to dirt bikes. I got him his first bike at 4, he's had several over the yrs. I eventually gave up on him. He just can';t ride a dirt bike for shit. Makes no sense to me, but, it is what it is.
He has no real passion for it, maybe that's it.

He used to love showing his mates his bikes. Just didn't like actually riding them. All his mates that didn't have a bike would have killed for a bike. I blame his mother for raising him like a girl in those first 2 yrs. Seriously. When I met her. she'd taught him to sit down when he took a piss 🙄

I have no one to ride with atm. 3 sons to ride with would be awesome. More so if they were faster. I like having someone to chase. Anyway. I had 2 more goes at it, got 2 girls, so, quite while i was still "behind" :devil:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red NT said:

Sounds like you have now completed your parental obligations!

Not yet.  I'm raising my boys to be men. The oldest one is there,  but the younger two have some learning left. 

• Like 1

It was a good run Pops, the torch has been passed.

Yup my oldest boy is kicking my arse but I don’t feel too bad anymore. Cause he’s now doing it to almost everyone else out there. 😳

Time for him to slow down. Just went through surgery for knee ligaments. 

EB70D632-9D78-4393-8627-B3AD070B389A.jpeg

6D6FEBF0-F338-457E-BB52-25B33CA3A454.jpeg

BDFB9464-A5BE-4E5B-88C6-0B221A53A355.png