2014 yz125 burnt rings

hi guys and gals, i got a 2014 yz125 that i just burnt the rings on last wednesday. itll start and run but compression is low. it has an athena 144 big bore, and the motor was completely reworked by lynks racing. now, my issue is that it was still smoking like you’d expect of a two stroke. i am running 40:1 with 89 octane non-ethanol and interceptor oil by amsoil. usually i wouldnt think its abnormal to need to rebuild a 2 stroke, especially when you’re keeping the throttle in the top 25% for most of your practice... however... there was only about 12 hours on the top end. i don’t mind buying rings for a rebuild, but id like to get more that 4 practices out of the bike before the top end goes. what do y’all suggest i change? premix ratio, fuel, oil? 

btw, im also using about 2 cups of VP 2t to every tank of gas and keep the air filter clean after every ride. thank you for any advice you can give me! i love this bike with every bit of my being and would just like it to last a little longer

I never heard of "burnt rings", thats a new one.😆 Bubba, those rings are made of cast iron, you cant really burn them. Now you can wear em out. Piston and ring replacement is in you shop manual, If you race there is a schedule you should follow. That is a small bore scoot, and to make fwd momentum you have to rev its guts out. If the engine is fresh or rebuilt by a "pro' you should not experience any trouble in-betwixt rebuilds. The bigger the piston, the less frequently you need to replace the piston, according to schedule. 40:1 correctly mixed oil ratio is great! I have'nt burnt any rings on it!😀Btw, run super unleaded 91 octane, and get a ratio rite mixing cup, you cant go wrong with the mixture. I have used mine since 1984, yeup they are made in Merica and last forever. Now stop burning them dang rings, bubba!image.png.da7a9f4c6ce6984aec5e227b79ec3c7e.png

• Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

I never heard of "burnt rings", thats a new one.😆 Bubba, those rings are made of cast iron, you cant really burn them. Now you can wear em out. Piston and ring replacement is in you shop manual, If you race there is a schedule you should follow. That is a small bore scoot, and to make fwd momentum you have to rev its guts out. If the engine is fresh or rebuilt by a "pro' you should not experience any trouble in-betwixt rebuilds. The bigger the piston, the less frequently you need to replace the piston, according to schedule. 40:1 correctly mixed oil ratio is great! I have'nt burnt any rings on it!😀Btw, run super unleaded 91 octane, and get a ratio rite mixing cup, you cant go wrong with the mixture. I have used mine since 1984, yeup they are made in Merica and last forever. Now stop burning them dang rings, bubba!image.png.da7a9f4c6ce6984aec5e227b79ec3c7e.png

thanks 😂 i appreciate it! im gonna have to buy the manuals and two my old man he’s crazy 👀 he says i should be running about 20:1, which seemed quite excessive to me. stay safe out there, hopefully ill be on the track wednesday:)

• Like 1

If the rings are bad you wouldn't be able to start the bike. Yes you can burn the coating on the edge of the ring and lose all compression. Do a compression test with a gauge to see what your working with. Your premix ratio is good. Keeping a clean and freshly oiled air filter, no sand or dirt in the intake tract and regular gear box oil changes will keep that bike running along time.

I always ran a pint of Belray H1R to 5 gal of 91. Never ever had an issue.

Edited by FPMXer
  • Like 1

Just now, Seth R said:

thanks 😂 i appreciate it! im gonna have to buy the manuals and two my old man he’s crazy 👀 he says i should be running about 20:1, which seemed quite excessive to me. stay safe out there, hopefully ill be on the track wednesday:)

I think 20:1 is used for lawn equipment, but 40:1 is a winning mixture, I have raced and trail hauling with it for a good 30 years, and I have pulled pistons, and rings and inspecting em' finding normal wear. Get a nice ratio right measuring cup its great. Your welcome brother!image.png.a7bca598a70ade50fb47391e28e7d300.png

• Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Why 40:1 in a 125?

Its a synthetic, you can run some synthetics 100:1, its true! I used maxima 927 on my kx-125 back in the day, and had no issues. I ran 40:1 on 125's, 2 fiddies, and 500's, all of em, and never siezed up any of my scoots, im in Texas, it get mighty hot down here. So a good oil is necessary. Been riding since 84 and bikes run and ran great, except for this ethynol, no issues...Image below, a clapped out 88 kx-125, hauling ass on a long missed/gone mx track. Oil mixture maxima 927 at 40:1, ngk b8es plug, twin air filter, and fresh rubber around the hoops. I had a blast that day.....

WIN_20190530_23_10_25_Pro.jpg

Edited by M E T A L A C I D
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

space x!!!!!!!!!!!  I knew it, they stole the idea from this guy....  

• Haha 2