When is it time to hang up the helmet?

68.  Riding since my early 20s.  some MX, Hare scrambles and enduros.   In March I picked up a 2020 KTM 150 XC-W TPI.   So light and flickable - super easy hydraulic clutch, 6 speed, fuel and oil injected.  New lease on trail riding.  Still enjoying riding with my buddies.  With work and everything else I was only getting out a couple of times a season to ride.  I retired (mostly) last fall.  Now that I have time to ride and a new bike, really enjoying being back at it.  Previous bike was a 2004 Honda CRF-250X.  Before that a woods modified YZ-250.  You don't quit riding because you get old.  You get old 'cause you quit riding.  

• Like 6
  • Helpful 3

23 hours ago, Nicolas Dorais said:

Hi!! Nicola 

49 years old , in good shape and race in the pass .

my friend and I , don’t ride anymore super cross track .

we ride local tracks for the love , smooth track , take beers ? and speak about anything and the sports . 

You know what , I buy and old RM 500 1993 and excellente condition .just to ear the 2 stroke Big bore bike song and smell the maxima 927 with race fuel . Awesome .

i m more happy buying this bike last week that a bran new one .

i don’t like four stroke, it more easy to ride but at my age I prefert to remember the good time 2 t .

my passion is to put the RM like brand new .

just need a new seat ant paint the frame and the moteur all the other part are new .

the fire ? inside me come alive with this vintage bike . 

everybody come to check this bike and we speak about the old time the rider and bla!bla! Bla! Lol

buy a old bike and put it alive and ride it , maybe vintage race .

check on YouTube old race 80 and up .you see Jeff ward rick Jonson Brock glover magoo chandler david baley ans many more . Old time memory 

Never give up and have fun that’s it.

Some of older guys restore old cars,trucks or harley's for great memories and enjoyment, I am restoring my CR250 to ride some but mostly to enjoy the build and have a time piece from days gone by. Oh yes I 1000% agree too hear her sweet song of the 2T with some VP with 927 aroma wafting in the air!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Patrick Deming said:

Some of older guys restore old cars,trucks or harley's for great memories and enjoyment, I am restoring my CR250 to ride some but mostly to enjoy the build and have a time piece from days gone by. Oh yes I 1000% agree too hear her sweet song of the 2T with some VP with 927 aroma wafting in the air!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Deming said:

Yes!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Last year I did my first enduro in a few years, the Welsh Two Day Enduro, and I met a guy at one of the checks who was 62 and started riding dirtbikes aged 60!  And I just thought "what an inspiration!"  I see guys stopping riding in their fifties and this guy only started when he was 60, and then started doing enduro races!  Stories like that make we want to keep riding as long as I'm physically able to.

• Like 3

At this time in your life riding is all about and fun and that's it. You ride at your pace and where ever you feel comfortable. Do what ever keeps you smiling.

Now if its becomes a chore to go riding or you feel like you would rather be doing something else like going to the Proctologist instead of riding, then give it a break for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2020 at 4:22 AM, Nicola Paoletti said:

Hello everybody,

I am 48 years old and after 36 years of motocross I am in a big crisis, the second or third to be correct.

In the last 3/4 years I am constantly worried about getting injured, my rhythm si slower and slower...and I am not having the fun I used to have.

Is it the time to quit? 

I remember Ricky Johnson said thet he was going to quit the day he felt he was scared to ride.

I am in that situation.....but I still have a lot of passion  for the sport....

I would like to listen at yours opinion , maybe giving me also your age so that I can relate.

Thankyou

• Like 1

You can adjust the type of riding, and guess what, it’s okay to not be the fastest on the track or the mountain.  Just ride your own ride.  But if you have the same deep bedded passion for dirt bikes that I do, you will never...sell your bike, your gear, your trailer, and the memories you have not made.   Good  luck, and enjoy the ride!

• Like 6

I raced as a kid, and just started riding MX again after a 28 year break at 48.
I am usually one of the slowest guys out on the track, but I don't care as I am having a blast ripping around on a YZ 125 or hitting the pitbike track on my son's 150RB.

I roll the triples and a lot of doubles out of fear and only try and clear the table tops and small doubles. I also takes breaks when I get tired and wear alot of protective gear.

I would rather ride a dirtbike than play golf or mountain bike anyday. Ride to your ability and comfort level as long as you can. At some point you will not be physically able to.

I personally find riding MX track more fun than trial riding.

Stay safe and good luck!

• Like 6

I recently turned 50, and have been on bikes or snowmobiles most of my life. I have no intentions of giving any of it up until my body tells me too. the more I ride the less I feel any aches or pains. I have struggled with confidence after taking long breaks from riding my bike. But with frequent riding time feel great and have pretty good stamina. I do a lot of cardio during the week so I feel that helps a ton.

• Like 5

On 6/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, DeanGuilberry said:

I'm 57. 
Just stop thinking about it already, armor up and go RIDE. 
Moab Ut. May 2020
Fins and Things 

I did get this gift from Moab, UT. 
Torn Hamstring on my old arse.
Wipe Out Hill owns up to its name! 
It buffed out! lol 
 image.png.7addbc17bce26f2538f82bbe8c97d1e2.png

Edited by DeanGuilberry
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2020 at 6:22 AM, Nicola Paoletti said:

Hello everybody,

I am 48 years old and after 36 years of motocross I am in a big crisis, the second or third to be correct.

In the last 3/4 years I am constantly worried about getting injured, my rhythm si slower and slower...and I am not having the fun I used to have.

Is it the time to quit? 

I remember Ricky Johnson said thet he was going to quit the day he felt he was scared to ride.

I would like to listen at yours opinion , maybe giving me also your age so that I can relate.

Thankyou

I am 57 and have raced MX and HS on and off for about 35 years now. I have come full circle, in that I returned to my roots of riding. I sold a couple of bikes that did “scare” me now, and bought some vintage machines. For me it was mid to late 70’s Dirt bikes. I instantly found my old ear to ear grin. 

EE989B7D-8E22-4963-93F1-3E4D7C6D931F.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/2/2020 at 4:22 AM, Nicola Paoletti said:

Hello everybody,

Is it the time to quit? 

Thankyou

As long as you can ride the track fast enough you aren't creating a hazard, go out and ride as fast as you feel safe going.  I'm in my mid 50s and I've slowed down a bunch, and I quit racing and just ride twice a week at the track.  That was mostly to get my kids out of racing since I felt it was time they went on to other pursuits in life.  You've got nothing to prove at your age, if you just let go of the stigma of rolling some of the bigger obstacles, stop expecting yourself to keep up or hold off the other racers, and just go at a pace you feel comfortable with you can still enjoy yourself for years to come.  It's difficult to have fun when you're always pushing yourself, the key to still having fun is when you accept what you can comfortably do isn't what you used to be able to do, and stop beating yourself up for it.  Plus these days you get a trophy just for participating ?  Let the kids know you don't identify as being slow and they're hurting your feelings and maybe they'll slow up.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I'm very competitive. Maybe too competitive. And that's what I missed, but, every trail ride we do in our group, IMO, is a race. You just don't get a trophy or any recognition for winning is all :D.

They all say It's not a race, but, they're seriously kidding themselves. I know very well when someone is racing with me.

• Like 1

I know what your saying, I love the racing part getting ready stomach all messed up then the gate drops man nothing like it but at 63 things start happening so my family talked me into retirement from the mx track and trail riding for me now and every time we go trail riding it’s wide open all the time, the guys I ride with are all younger and they have one speed (FAST) the only time I can go alittle slower is when I’m by myself, I miss racing but I’m still riding 

• Like 2