Nicola Paoletti

When is it time to hang up the helmet?

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 7:22 AM, Nicola Paoletti said:

Hello everybody,

I am 48 years old and after 36 years of motocross I am in a big crisis, the second or third to be correct.

In the last 3/4 years I am constantly worried about getting injured, my rhythm si slower and slower...and I am not having the fun I used to have.

Is it the time to quit? 

I remember Ricky Johnson said thet he was going to quit the day he felt he was scared to ride.

I am in that situation.....but I still have a lot of passion  for the sport....

I would like to listen at yours opinion , maybe giving me also your age so that I can relate.

Thankyou

I was about 55 I guess, got hurt, busted ribs, punctured lung, fractured pelvis. A couple nights in the hospital and sleeping in a chair for 2 months was no fun. Got rid of the Mx bike for awhile, bought another, sold it and on and on a couple years. I bought a KTM EXC and started riding the bike to trails around the area which was great fun. 

I finally had to give it up when a few hours of riding meant knee pain for 4 days. Just wasn’t worth it anymore. 

I guess, when it’s time, you’ll know. As a matter of fact I just threw my extremely worn Tech 3s out, painful to part with them.  

Edited by DBMX 925
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Im 44 and I've been riding primarily MX since 1993.  In May 2012 I had a REALLY bad accident on a mx track (don't remember it) almost lost all movement in my left wrist.  At the time the surgeons recommendation was to fuse my left wrist together which would have given me roughly 5-10 degrees of movement in all directions but luckily for me a resident expert was in the building and said he would like to try and "fix" it and get as much movement as possible.  Im at roughly 45 degrees up and down and about 20ish side to side.... but the kicker is if I take a hard digger and reinjure my wrist then that's it for my wrist.  I did take about a year off to go through physical therapy and get through some mental barriers but I pushed through. 

I now only ride trails and usually keep it at around a 50% pace with the occasional burst to around 80%  But I can't help but be a little scared and cautious every time I ride.  I just can't see my self hanging up my helmet any time soon.  This sport is just a part of me and my life, I wake up watch some random YouTube vids while making breakfast and having a cup of coffee.  I listen to dirt bike podcast on the way to work (Dirt Bike Channel with Kyle Brotherson, great pod cast if anyone is interested) in most ways dirt bikes are part of my daily routine.  I even find myself going out to the garage daily and firing up the 2-Stroke just to rev it a few times hear those sweet sounds and catch a nice whiff of 2-stroke exhaust.

Im in it for the long haul I think the only time ill stop riding is when I can no longer physically throw a leg over my seat.  But that just me.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

On 6/2/2020 at 4:22 AM, Nicola Paoletti said:

Hello everybody,

I am 48 years old and after 36 years of motocross I am in a big crisis, the second or third to be correct.

In the last 3/4 years I am constantly worried about getting injured, my rhythm si slower and slower...and I am not having the fun I used to have.

Is it the time to quit? 

I remember Ricky Johnson said thet he was going to quit the day he felt he was scared to ride.

I am in that situation.....but I still have a lot of passion  for the sport....

I would like to listen at yours opinion , maybe giving me also your age so that I can relate.

Thankyou

54 here, take up trail riding, you can go as fast or slow as you feel comfortable,  also do some offroad racing. Very fun. 

• Like 4

On 6/2/2020 at 9:52 AM, mlatour said:

If you head to the track initially with a bad feeling, better stay home as that likely will stick in your mind all day long.

Truth.

If I can't envision a great ride, in my head, in the shower befor a ride, then I just run at about 70% . I  ride away happy with results and not broken.

• Like 2

You should post in the international section as I know some others from Italy that trail ride are members here.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

No shame to respect the wisdom your maturity has provided. Channel the spirit of Angelini and Ostorero when they strike and love the ride!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, piltoyougram said:

For me it will be when they slam the coffin lid shut! 78 and still loving it!

👍:cheers:

• Helpful 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:20 AM, Gflo said:

Just a couple of times in the desert.  Rode motocross with AME and CRC, usually at Indian Dunes.  I mostly rode the many Grand Prix races they had in the greater L.A. area in the 70s.   Seems they had one every other weekend.  They were held at all the parks like Indian Dunes, Valley Cycle Park, Bay Mare, De Anza, Carlsbad, Corona, etc.  They were a lot of fun, most being 45 minutes to an hour.  Also rode a lot of D37 Grand Prix like Viewfinders (2 hours long), Elsinore, and Hopetown.  What a great time to be young, into dirt bikes, and the L.A. racing scene.  Too much fun.

Don’t stop until your wife REALLY threatens to sell your bike. As an old member of the Viewfinders, raced lots of races in the mid to late 70’ and early 80’s. We enjoyed putting on our GP at Riverside Raceway back then.

I gave it up after a thoracic back break but came back riding as my kids got older in the early 2000’s. Play Rode lots of desert and then mainly motocross at Piru, CRC, and AV before getting Center punched out at Cal City(not on their MX track).Such a bad place to ride safely. 

After major injuries, back and hip surgery, I had to give it up. I rode until about 62 but had to stop. Still have the urge but my common sense says No. 

Still love the Desert. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Viewfinder MCRcr said:

Don’t stop until your wife REALLY threatens to sell your bike. As an old member of the Viewfinders, raced lots of races in the mid to late 70’ and early 80’s. We enjoyed putting on our GP at Riverside Raceway back then.

I gave it up after a thoracic back break but came back riding as my kids got older in the early 2000’s. Play Rode lots of desert and then mainly motocross at Piru, CRC, and AV before getting Center punched out at Cal City(not on their MX track).Such a bad place to ride safely. 

After major injuries, back and hip surgery, I had to give it up. I rode until about 62 but had to stop. Still have the urge but my common sense says No. 

Still love the Desert. 

My wife threatens to sell my bikes from time to time.  I just tell her, “Go ahead.  I’ll just go out and buy new ones.”

I did several Viewfinder’s GPs when they were doing them at Indian Dunes.  Your club put on the best GPs that I raced.  Two hours long.  Most of the others I did regularly were 45 minutes to an hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gflo said:

My wife threatens to sell my bikes from time to time.  I just tell her, “Go ahead.  I’ll just go out and buy new ones.”

I did several Viewfinder’s GPs when they were doing them at Indian Dunes.  Your club put on the best GPs that I raced.  Two hours long.  Most of the others I did regularly were 45 minutes to an hour.

One of my Betas got stolen.. then I had a heart attack a couple of weeks after. From my hospital window I could see the mountains. I said &%$#@! it I’m buying a new300. What if I can’t even ride anymore or I croak from another heart attack?? ...I guess she was excited too about events going on and she threatened divorcing me. &%$#@! that I bought the bike. She didn’t go anywhere... and then I bought a 350 race edition after that. So what .  This is it. There’s no dress rehearsals. Everyone has an expiration date. It’s adapt and overcome..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 5

I agree with some of the other folks here, my grandpa stopped at 68 and I remember him ripping in his 40s. I’m also 48 now and just bought a Sherco 290 2T trials bike that changed the game for me. Im learning to ride slow and precise, mostly trails these days and the obstacles have become the challenge as opposed to speed and air. I’m getting used to standing up for hours and my hips and back aren’t where they need to be, probably because of my beer belly core. But I’m enjoying the hell out of every minute and the ibuprofen is enough of a cure to keep me doing it, hopefully til 68 and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

One of my Betas got stolen.. then I had a heart attack a couple of weeks after. From my hospital window I could see the mountains. I said &%$#@! it I’m buying a new300. What if I can’t even ride anymore or I croak from another heart attack?? ...I guess she was excited too about events going on and she threatened divorcing me. &%$#@! that I bought the bike. She didn’t go anywhere... and then I bought a 350 race edition after that. So what .  This is it. There’s no dress rehearsals. Everyone has an expiration date. It’s adapt and overcome..

You just have to say to her....."You know what, you are right"....."selling them will definitely give me way more time to now hang with the guys down at the tavern". She will change her tune immediately. :D

Joe

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, piltoyougram said:

For me it will be when they slam the coffin lid shut! 78 and still loving it!

Have a friend who rode all his life, and in his later years went to only dual sport. Best thing was that when he died at age 90, he had a six month old KTM 535 in his garage! Went by "OldX" on KTM talk.

Joe

Edit......Found the KTMtalk story on him:    https://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?488535-CHARTER-MEMBER-KENNETH-CLAYTON-(AKA-OldX)&highlight=OldX

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
  • Like 3

Try single track, my dad used to be big in the fast type of riding and racing but since he’s getting older, he’s around 50 he really enjoys going out and exploring single track, he says he has as much fun in the technical stuff as the fast stuff he used to do, I’m 16 also

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

You just have to say to her....."You know what, you are right"....."selling them will definitely give me way more time to now hang with the guys down at the tavern". She will change her tune immediately. :D

Joe

That sounds like a decent strategy in most cases ..but I quit drinking except for very very rare occasions.. I don’t do drugs or gamble or screw around with women or blow money.. a couple of decades ago Id go to strip clubs once in a while but once I quit drinking and then that was lame.. It’s not the same without being at least half drunk....I am a vegetarian that doesn’t do dairy anymore and trying to stay away from sugar.... I’m a boring bastard except for riding now. She should be happy I’m so fricken boring. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, DBMX 925 said:

I was about 55 I guess, got hurt, busted ribs, punctured lung, fractured pelvis. A couple nights in the hospital and sleeping in a chair for 2 months was no fun. Got rid of the Mx bike for awhile, bought another, sold it and on and on a couple years. I bought a KTM EXC and started riding the bike to trails around the area which was great fun. 

I finally had to give it up when a few hours of riding meant knee pain for 4 days. Just wasn’t worth it anymore. 

I guess, when it’s time, you’ll know. As a matter of fact I just threw my extremely worn Tech 3s out, painful to part with them.  

So what the hell do you do now?

Get a super moto cough cough

Almost half as fun as dirt

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

That sounds like a decent strategy in most cases ..but I quit drinking except for very very rare occasions.. I don’t do drugs or gamble or screw around with women or blow money.. a couple of decades ago Id go to strip clubs once in a while but once I quit drinking and then that was lame.. It’s not the same without being at least half drunk....I am a vegetarian that doesn’t do dairy anymore and trying to stay away from sugar.... I’m a boring bastard except for riding now. She should be happy I’m so fricken boring. 

Ha ......Quit myself years ago too. No wife so I do as I please :D

Joe

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Ha ......Quit myself years ago too. No wife so I do as I please :D

Joe

Wife. I do as I please, and get a nice massage after a long day on the bike. Plus dinner cooked for me, and, If I play my cards right, great sympathy sex.

There are a few perks. It's all about choosing the right one :D

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't imagine hanging up the helmet. I started my love affair with 2 wheels around the time On Any Sunday came into movie theaters in the '71. I was just about 10 and have rode since. The thing about helmets is that they go bad and maybe we need to just get a new or better one. Troy Lee Designs recently had a sale on a Malcolm Smith memorial helmet and I missed it and regretfully they discontinued it...but that won't make me hang up my dilapidated smelly one. Thanks Troy Lee! Because of you my oldie is a goldie. Never hang it up!

• Like 1