Wheel locking in 1st and 5th gear on Yamaha WR450 2006

I was riding down a dirt road 70 to 75mph and the rear wheel locked. I was able to go off in a ditch and try to see what the problem was. You can pull the clutch and start it in second gear and start riding but first locked the wheel and killed the bike and I couldn’t get it into neutral either. It will run in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Seems to shift fine into each gear. I took the clutch apart and things looked pretty decent. The clutch basket had the ridges in the sides so I will need to replace that. I’m pretty sure that won’t fix the problem but was just tryin to get some input into what could be going on and how easy it would be for me to fix. Everything engine wise seems to be just fine but I’m assuming it’s either something with the clutch or a shift fork or something in the tranny. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Sounds like transmission time, the clutch itself doesnt care about which gear the bike is in.

Why would you want to try and restart and run a motor that just locked up at well over 6000 rpm. It hardly seems safe for the bike and you.

Good luck, and stay safe 🙂 

Bent selector fork(s) in gearbox

Have you been doing clutchless gear changes 

You need to split the cases to replace them

I haven’t been doing clutchless gear changes but I’ve only had the bike for about 2 months. So who knows what the previous owners could have done 

Cracked the case and everything was clean as can be in there looked brand new. Pulled the gears out and found the second gear had seized to the shaft. So not a terribly expensive problem at all just gotta order the parts and get it up and goin again. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

14 hours ago, Austin Stancell said:

Cracked the case and everything was clean as can be in there looked brand new. Pulled the gears out and found the second gear had seized to the shaft. So not a terribly expensive problem at all just gotta order the parts and get it up and goin again. 

After deterine why it seized or you'll be in the same position

So I was putting it back together after finally getting the parts and noticed that the pipe from the oil pump was missing completely. So the guy that owned it before must have lost it and not realized it or something of the sort. Really happy I was able to actually find why this had happened in the first place

• Like 1