Kx80 major issue? need help

hey so this is my first post on thumpertalk. been trying to solve this for a while so I can get a couple more riding hours in before I can afford a new bike and I figured you guys could possibly help me or give me some clues to what the issue is or fixes. The bike in question is my 1999 kx80. So a day before all of these issues happened, the bike ran fine and clutch was fine. Shifting was okay. Since I got the bike shifting was kind of iffy and sometimes I would have to push the shifter two or three times to get into a certain gear. Bike isn't in the best condition and wont idle without choke on and will bog and die if it hasn't warmed up (no choke). So one day I brought it out to ride and right off the bat I could something was wrong because I tried shifting it down to first gear and it didn't make a click and felt like you were shifting to neutral (it does this to all the gears with the occasional feeling of it clicking into place but it still stays in the same gear) I rolled it and the tire would move then seize up then move and then seize up. It started up normally and I let go of the clutch lever and it was pulling very weakly and I had to give it a lot of throttle to make it move. I went up a hill and then all of a sudden the backtire seized up and the engine died and I skidded very fast to a stop. I had to drag it with the rear tire seized back to my lawn and I figured out that if I slightly moved the rear tire backwards I could "shift" I could move the shift lever and it felt like it was engaging but it did nothing. The engine still started up after that but even with the clutch lever pulled in it would act like it was still in gear and kept on trying to move forward. I put it back in the garage and brought it out and now it wont even start and just shoots a flame and makes a puff after 5-10 kicks. ive cleaned the carb really good and tried compression testing it by sticking my finger where the sparkplug screws in but instead of sucking my finger in it pushes it outwards. I don't know if it has spark but im assuming it does because ive changed the sparkplug multiple times and if I touch it while kicking I get shocked. Ive started looking into the issue today and took the clutch out and it has wear but nothing that looks like enough to cause an issue. What do you guys think the issue is?

1st post, Welcome to the forums marco!

Just a tip though, try to keep your questions a little more concise, that's a lot to read thru and pick out details!

The fact that you mention gears not engaging properly/popping out of gear,

there is not much you can inspect 'externally' (shift mechanism, detent wheel)

as the probable culprits are likely worn/bend shift forks, drum and engagement dogs/slots on the gears themselves 

which requires splitting the engine open.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:06 AM, marco9980 said:

hey so this is my first post on thumpertalk. been trying to solve this for a while so I can get a couple more riding hours in before I can afford a new bike and I figured you guys could possibly help me or give me some clues to what the issue is or fixes. The bike in question is my 1999 kx80. So a day before all of these issues happened, the bike ran fine and clutch was fine. Shifting was okay. Since I got the bike shifting was kind of iffy and sometimes I would have to push the shifter two or three times to get into a certain gear. Bike isn't in the best condition and wont idle without choke on and will bog and die if it hasn't warmed up (no choke). So one day I brought it out to ride and right off the bat I could something was wrong because I tried shifting it down to first gear and it didn't make a click and felt like you were shifting to neutral (it does this to all the gears with the occasional feeling of it clicking into place but it still stays in the same gear) I rolled it and the tire would move then seize up then move and then seize up. It started up normally and I let go of the clutch lever and it was pulling very weakly and I had to give it a lot of throttle to make it move. I went up a hill and then all of a sudden the backtire seized up and the engine died and I skidded very fast to a stop. I had to drag it with the rear tire seized back to my lawn and I figured out that if I slightly moved the rear tire backwards I could "shift" I could move the shift lever and it felt like it was engaging but it did nothing. The engine still started up after that but even with the clutch lever pulled in it would act like it was still in gear and kept on trying to move forward. I put it back in the garage and brought it out and now it wont even start and just shoots a flame and makes a puff after 5-10 kicks. ive cleaned the carb really good and tried compression testing it by sticking my finger where the sparkplug screws in but instead of sucking my finger in it pushes it outwards. I don't know if it has spark but im assuming it does because ive changed the sparkplug multiple times and if I touch it while kicking I get shocked. Ive started looking into the issue today and took the clutch out and it has wear but nothing that looks like enough to cause an issue. What do you guys think the issue is?

Yea that's alot to take in at once. Post a video on youtube and put the link to it on here.