Considering buying the IMS 4.0 or the Clarke 4.7 fuel tanks for my XR. My stock tank can't go far at all. Anyone care to share their fuel range with whatever tank they're running? I've heard 220 miles with the 4.7 which seems a bit optimistic considering I get 60-70 miles with my stock tank.

My biggest concern is whether the tank will impede my movement on tight technical trails. I've also heard horrible stories of Clarke's customer support.

Alternatively, I've considered buying a few 32oz fuel canisters and packing them on the back of the bike. But I'd hate to lose the storage space if aftermarket tanks won't impede my movement.

If anyone has a used tank for sale I'm likely interested.

Can't really comment on the range because i never really go more than 50 miles. I got a 4 gallon ims tank for like 30 or 40 bucks 3 years ago and to me other than the extra weight i didn't notice the difference in size between the stock tank and ims after probably 2 rides. 

• Like 1

I`ve got the CLARKE 4.0 gallon... it gets me far enough that i gotta get off the damn bike anyway...lol

I liked the smaller size,,,didn`t interfere at all while riding..  4 gallons is plenty unless you plan on going cross country every week...

B

• Like 1

Before the engine rebuild, I was getting about 35 mpg which was good for 140-150 miles per tank with my 4.7 Clarke.  After the rebuild, with a higher compression piston it gets closer to 45 mpg, so I can easily go 160 miles before hitting reserve and 180 before going dry.  You would have to be getting amazing mileage to go over 200 miles with this bike.  My KTM will do it, but not the XR.

I don't feel that the 4.7 gallon tank gets in my way at all.  The height of the bike and the high center of gravity are the only issues that I have on technical trails (meaning steep loose uphill stuff).

I've had two other XR650Ls with 4.0 gallon Clark tanks and I didn't feel the range was enough.  It has nothing to do with when I'm ready to get off of the bike, as Brian mentioned.  It has to do with being out in the middle of nowhere and being sure I can get back to where there is gas before running out.  I haven't had an issue with that on my XR or the more recent KTM adventure bikes, but the 990 Adv that I had from 2010 to 2018 had me worried multiple times up in the Sierras when it was a long ways to the next gas stop.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1