verman84

Tires of the Pacific Northwest

Love the m59 up front though I’m running the goldentyre front fatty up front on one bike.  Can’t say they’re dramatically different in my experience.  Mostly I’ve been waiting on the MT 43 on the rear to wear out on my XR and just run both bikes on the shinko 505 but it’s showing very little wear after 2 years and lots of miles.  What I have noticed this year is a drop off of traction that I thought was just me getting more aggressive in corners but some riding buddies swear the MT carcass goes away after about 600 miles.  Anyone else notice this?

23 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

What don't you like about the m59?

The M59 is a good tire. The Goldentyre 216 is the best tire. I've ran the M59 a lot and once I tried the 216 there was no going back.

• Like 2

Just now, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

But all you ride is fresh concrete slabs. 

You have me mistaken for someone else.

7 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Oh, i thought SDR was all fresh concrete slabs that you can't ride wheelies on. 😏

Nope just miles of fresh new trail. I tell you there's nothing better than the fresh new trail smell. 

We are getting a little off topic though. Tires are a lot like suspension setup. What works and what you like can be completely different from the next guy.  There's no magical tire. 

• Like 3

I haven't had any issues with rocky mountain so far considering they were delivering things within a week during the peak of covid for the last few months. Looks like things must have gotten worse because they're not scheduled to arrive until June 22nd which is a bummer. I wanted to try out the recon and at that price, why not. If it wasn't for the recon, which I was surprised to see suggested multiple times, I would have tried finding the golden tire locally. I'll be curious to see how much easier they are too change than my current tires which feel incredibly hard and rigid.

2 hours ago, SDR_rider said:

There's no magical tire. 

except the GT Fatty. 13 PSI. No more, no less.

5 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Less. Definitely less! 

7 hours ago, shrubitup said:

11.68793 psi +/-.005 is the target number I shoot for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SDR_rider said:

11.68793 psi +/-.005 is the target number I shoot for. 

Me push hands on the tire and if it go smoosh just right me ride.  Too much smoosh, me give air.  

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

I miss @CaveMike posting his thoughts on these things. 

That guy definitely had two levels of humor going on. 

But I’m not kidding on the Wonderspoon patented air pressure method.  Seems to work fine.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wonderspoon said:

That guy definitely had two levels of humor going on. 

But I’m not kidding on the Wonderspoon patented air pressure method.  Seems to work fine.  

I use an accurate low pressure guage to arbitrarily set pressure to the low end of what i think won't destroy a rim or fold over on hard cornering. The theory that im getting maximum footprint increases my confidence enough to make up for the mushy, imprecise feeling that results from the practice. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

I use an accurate low pressure guage to arbitrarily set pressure to the low end of what i think won't destroy a rim or fold over on hard cornering. The theory that im getting maximum footprint increases my confidence enough to make up for the mushy, imprecise feeling that results from the practice. 

every time I buy one of those low pressure gauges, I loan it out and it disappears, or they use on it a car tire

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One issue with the soft flexy sidewall tires is when they go flat out on the trail, the sidewall folds over. Riding a flat on logging roads to get back home isn't too bad but single track, especially with a steep cross slope, can be downright scary. They inherently want to send you over the edge as the bike wanders all over the place.

• Helpful 1

Oh, almost forgot this was a tire thread! 

After 250+ miles in the past 6 weeks,  I'm done with the IRC IX09W front.  Really unstable in corners and does not have good side bite. 

The IRC V33S Gekkota is outstanding and holding up extremely well.  

Been fortunate to ride my brother's 250rr with the V33S out back and Bridgestone X30 90/100 up front and really like the side bite on the X30.

Mounted one up last night and heading to mts in a couple hours.  

The V33S and X30 combo is also a Slavens favorite if any of you trust his opinions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Oh, almost forgot this was a tire thread! 

After 250+ miles in the past 6 weeks,  I'm done with the IRC IX09W front.  Really unstable in corners and does not have good side bite. 

The IRC V33S Gekkota is outstanding and holding up extremely well.  

Been fortunate to ride my brother's 250rr with the V33S out back and Bridgestone X30 90/100 up front and really like the side bite on the X30.

Mounted one up last night and heading to mts in a couple hours.  

The V33S and X30 combo is also a Slavens favorite if any of you trust his opinions. 

I'm told the X30 is a plebe mx tire. Ive run two of them. Flipped my 525 last night at 30 hours, should have another 10 in it. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Doctor Impostor said:

I'm told the X30 is a plebe mx tire. Ive run two of them. Flipped my 525 last night at 30 hours, should have another 10 in it. 

Uh the 525 is directional, I should know I always install backwards. Guess perfect for a flip in 30 hours.

Edited by mattwave
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mattwave said:

Uh the 525 is directional, I should know I always install backwards. Guess perfect for a flip in 30 hours.

Yeah i guess we'll see if it comes apart, i'm slow and on a light two stroke. Maybe more of a likelihood on a kdm 5 hunnert or something. I didn't even look for an arrow on that 525, i'll check it when i get home. 

36 minutes ago, Doctor Impostor said:

Yeah i guess we'll see if it comes apart, i'm slow and on a light two stroke. Maybe more of a likelihood on a kdm 5 hunnert or something. I didn't even look for an arrow on that 525, i'll check it when i get home. 

Imagine happy arrows rotating forward providing endless momentum to every trail challenge ahead!

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1