Jump to content
Papa Sarge

S.Cal Kennedy Meadows with my grandson on my 62nd birthday

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Went to Kennedy Meadows 3-6 June 2020 (Wed-Sat) with my 18 year old grandson for my 62nd birthday. I have been up there quite a few times with the hard core buddiess, however this time it was just me and my grandson.  It was my grandsons second trip riding up there.  Last time up there he was on his 2006 Honda CRF 250x, this time he rode his 2016 KTM 500 EXC.  I gave him the maps and some ideas of the routes, and had him lead.  I followed him on my 2019 KTM 500 EXC. We used our Packtalk headset communications.  He did great. We rode the northern trails out of the campground on Thurs and the southern ones on Fri.  Since It was just the two of us, as the few we asked couldn't get away, I picked up a SpotX satellite two way text tracker and we went anyways.   It was an awesome trip.  A perfect way to spend my birthday. That grandson of mine is getting faster and i'm getting slower.  He kept the pace slower for me, lolol.   We staged at Fish Creek campground.  The weather was perfect.  Friday night we had a thunder/lightening storm, not bad. There were more tree huggers, fishermen, and jeepers  than dirt bikers in camp. Since we were there in the middle of the week, we only pass a few riders on the trails.  Thurs we saw four other riders, and friday none.  Most of the trails were open.  Troy campground was closed.  There were a few camping down at Bonita Meadows.  Looking forward to the next rip.  It was fun and relaxing. 

 

Here are some pics on my Flickr..  

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNEVs4Y

 

and a playlist of videos on youtube..   

 

 

Edited by Papa Sarge
spelling
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my favorite place to ride, creeks were nice and full of cool sweet water on may 29, tiniest tidbit of snow left on north facing hill next to osa meadow

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

snippets of boone meadow rocks
https://youtu.be/N052b4YJkKs

Zack showing the line we took up Boone meadow rocks
https://youtu.be/SNtpJBMmIxg

Boone Meadow trail from Trout to sherman pass road
https://youtu.be/B40QQQ9F0Xc


two guys we passed on Jackass
https://youtu.be/oKF4px-jvXY

Jackass Part1 Fish creek campground to creek crossing before climb
https://youtu.be/hWNFaKJu0Kc

Jackass Part2 creek crossing to switchbacks
https://youtu.be/SjvpGWyC4RU

Jackass Part3 switchbacks to Albanita trail
https://youtu.be/KravDyAa0QQ


Trout Creek trail from Shaefer to Sherman pass rd
https://youtu.be/zKMQ7_C4xz4

Trout creek
https://youtu.be/e1Lt0aOsI5I

cows bears
https://youtu.be/HRB5fzNfa_Y


schaefer trail from Bonita meadow to trout
https://youtu.be/jR14OuaO7ys


Little Horse from Albanita until the camera battery died
https://youtu.be/AyZWt7yuT6o

zack on littlehorse
https://youtu.be/0iuXv94RlCA


Albanita trail from Jackass to Beach ridge
https://youtu.be/9mTOU2t6Dds

Albanita trail from Beach ridge to Little Horse
https://youtu.be/oFgAf89vde4


warmup ride campground connector
https://youtu.be/gKhTn7w5RFs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched all of the videos.  It looks like you guys had a great time.  I'm thinking about taking the kids up there for 2 or three days soon.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sarge,

The maps you used for Kennedy Meadows---were they GPS, California Trail Users paper-type, or...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, BSAVictor said:

Sarge,

The maps you used for Kennedy Meadows---were they GPS, California Trail Users paper-type, or...?

Had my grandson carry the Kern River Ranger district map, as well as an old paper Kern river Plateau map.  He also had on his phone an updated screenshot of the plateeau map which indicated what was open the week before.  (no maps available at the campground).  

20200611_093614.jpg

20200611_093650.jpg

20200611_093603.jpg

Edited by Papa Sarge
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do carry an old dakota gps, but it's on it's last leg.  will update it to a better one one of these years

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Papa Sarge said:

Had my grandson carry the Kern River Ranger district map, as well as an old paper Kern river Plateau map.  He also had on his phone an updated screenshot of the plateeau map which indicated what was open the week before.  (no maps available at the campground).  

Thanks, Sarge.  I want to thoroughly ride that area sometime (and maybe check out the Golden Trout fishin' while I'm at it---don't tell nobody about the Goldies!).  The only other time I was up there was so early in the season that the downed trees weren't yet cut away, the trails were closed, and I didn't have my chainsaw nor a mount for it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just saw the map photos you posted; they're great!  I'll have to get them to use in my old-school "BarPack by Cyco active" map holder.  The folded-up size of my map holder, mounted to my cross bars, is about as big as tablet computer screens are (big size is good for these aging eyes), and the map holder doesn't make an expensive breaking sound when I crash.  About as techy as I've gotten with maps so far is to blow up targeted sections to more detail (also good for aging eyes) on a color copier to pack along on the inside map holder pouches.

p.s.  Using the bar-mount map holder is another reason to use a longer gas tank vent hose that at least will tuck through the crossbar (if not route all the way down barely past my skid plate) so that the map holder will not conflict with a "straight-up" tank vent hose and valve.

p.s.s. Note the authentic dirt on the map holder.

p.s.s.s. I've named my old-fashioned map holder "John Henry."

p.s.s.s.s. Note that the click-mounts on the map holder enable you to easily ride with or without the map holder in place.

barmntmappkopen.jpeg

barmntmappack.jpeg

Edited by BSAVictor
I was a-fixin' to fix things
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 10:27 AM, BSAVictor said:

Just saw the map photos you posted; they're great!  I'll have to get them to use in my old-school "BarPack by Cyco active" map holder.  The folded-up size of my map holder, mounted to my cross bars, is about as big as tablet computer screens are (big size is good for these aging eyes), and the map holder doesn't make an expensive breaking sound when I crash.  About as techy as I've gotten with maps so far is to blow up targeted sections to more detail (also good for aging eyes) on a color copier to pack along on the inside map holder pouches.

p.s.  Using the bar-mount map holder is another reason to use a longer gas tank vent hose that at least will tuck through the crossbar (if not route all the way down barely past my skid plate) so that the map holder will not conflict with a "straight-up" tank vent hose and valve.

p.s.s. Note the authentic dirt on the map holder.

p.s.s.s. I've named my old-fashioned map holder "John Henry."

p.s.s.s.s. Note that the click-mounts on the map holder enable you to easily ride with or without the map holder in place.

barmntmappkopen.jpeg

barmntmappack.jpeg

I have one of those.  Bought it years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, realfun1 said:

Sarge fish creek cg was open? Happy birthday! Timber!!

Yes it was open and most of the trails were too.  We had a great time.  Dang realfun1 bill, it's been a long time.  I can't remember the last time we rode, maybe cause i'm old as dirt.  I still still remember the timber fall like it was yesterday.  glad you only bruised your ego, lololol. damn flameouts on dirtbike. 😉

  

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, Papa Sarge said:

 

WOW time flies.  We need to get the old crew back together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papa Sarge, thanks again for posting this place.  We went up Thursday- Saturday and had a great time.  By the way we got one of the last spots at about 10am on Thursday.  It was packed!  We're already trying to figure out how soon we can get back up there. The best part of our ride was the heavy rain storm that rolled in while we were on Albanita.  It was a little cold, but it cut the dust down to zero.

Edited by CMJ
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...