74 Suzuki Ts 185 need help

So I was just given a 1974 Suzuki ts 185 by a buddy of mine it ran 10 years ago I just got it running again but the rear sprocket is loose and has a lot of play in it how would I go about fixing it, it also hasn’t had the clutch fluid touched in about 10 years is there anyway to check how low it is, and if anyone has any info on a place where I can get parts for cheap because I grew up working on newer bikes with my dad so I know about newer bikes but nothing about older bikes. I’m planning on trying to get it street legal all it has rn is a head light and one reflector everything else is gone but it has all of the mounts and wiring has a tachometer and a speedometer but neither work I have no title and I can get a bill of sale any help would be greatly appreciated. Sam 

86E52B48-D2F8-4635-9074-813015CEE326.jpeg

Edited by VAN1SH3D

You don't seem to know too much about it so it would be a good idea to try and find a manual for it.  The "clutch fluid" is the transmission lubricant & you BETTER check it before you ride - (too late for that?).  On the 250, there's a level screw on the side of the case but it also says the gearbox capacity for the lubricant on the side case.  Check ebay for a manual.  .  

1 hour ago, motoxvet said:

You don't seem to know too much about it so it would be a good idea to try and find a manual for it.  The "clutch fluid" is the transmission lubricant & you BETTER check it before you ride - (too late for that?).  On the 250, there's a level screw on the side of the case but it also says the gearbox capacity for the lubricant on the side case.  Check ebay for a manual.  .  

I’ve been working on bikes sense i was about 7 or 8 I know what clutch fluid is I was wondering if there was a way to see if it was full, I check the whole bike over before I rode it but thank you for the help 

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

would they allow that on the road full of rust ?

I’m going to be putting money into the bike and getting rid of any rust on it. But it’s all surface rust and alittle bit of pitting rust 

13 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

Don't you call those  Rat Bikes  ??

I’m not sure but all I can think of while riding it is being back in the 70s and bein a teen riding it on the farm 

16 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

Rode mine all over ,  50 mi. To the beach on Padre Island in Corpus Christi  from Kingsville ..... Wife on back ....

Nice I’m trying to get this one back in shape and get it back on the road 

• Like 1

OP, there are quite a few of those 185's still around.  If you get it running & decide to keep it for a while, consider buying another one, regardless of condition as a parts donor.  I did that with m TS250 and it saved my bacon a couple of times.  

• Like 1

Had one of these many years ago! The rear sprocket has a cush drive, basically rubber blocks between aluminum drive and driven fins. On mine, some of the fins broke resulting in a "loose sprocket" too. Easy to replace these parts if you can find new ones. Otherwise, you're going to have to find someone good at welding aluminum. Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

I had a 74 for about 5 years. Great bike. The crank case oil/ clutch oil is your normal 10w30 or just 30w . If there isn’t a dip stick on the fill cap then there’s a screw you can remove to check the oil level. I believe it is on the right side of crank case  in front of the kick starter. It is a hex bolt with Phillips screw driver slots in it. Pull that screw out and add your oil through the fill cap hole. When it is full it will seep out. I believe it holds less than 1 quart but check around and be sure. Don’t over fill it or you may blow a seal .

• Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, Alex Brame said:

It probly lost the spacer  its been there should be one between the sproket and the wheel hub

Or most likely the cush drive rubber has crumbled with age...

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

You can get the rear hub welded up and eliminate the expensive replacement of the rubber bushings inside of it. If you get it welded, remove the bushings and put the sprocket hub in place with the lock ring in place. Use this ring grove as a guide for alignment so sprocket lines up with the front sprocket. Make sure your sprocket bolts are in place before welded.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1