My brother just went to the ER after crashing into a tree. He decided to race his friend in the neighbor hood on there bikes with no helmets or anything and so he’s going about 40 mph about and tries to turn but can’t make it and ran up the sidewalk into someone’s yard and crashed into a tree. Thankfully no broken bones but his face slammed into a branch and tore up his chin and he needed stiches and he’s got cuts all over his legs. For one he shouldn’t be racing like that and second should always wear his helmet it could’ve been much much worse but luckily it wasn’t. Just please wear your helmets and be smaet

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

No boots either??? Broken ankles always require steel pins, ask my friend who went down on his bike with a pair of sneaker's on 2 years ago and the pain is still there! Yes be SMART!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Over the years, I've seen plenty of guys put their helmet on and not strap it... this is also wrong

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Wearing no helmet wasn't the only dumb move, 

riding/racing dirt bikes on neighborhood streets wasn't much wiser.

Hope he has a quick recovery and that ALL riders involved learn from this.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 6

Sorry to hear about your brother. Some of us have gotten off easy doing stupid things like that. Hope he recovers and learns from the experience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

Wearing no helmet wasn't the only dumb move, 

riding/racing dirt bikes on neighborhood streets wasn't much wiser.

Hope he has a quick recovery and that ALL riders involved learn from this.

So far he seems fine but we’ll see

3 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

You can learn alot from a dummy. 

Only if smarter than the dummy! Many aren't, they seem to attract each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Over the years, I've seen plenty of guys put their helmet on and not strap it... this is also wrong

See that alot on TV and in movies.

I hope alcohol was involved.

That's when I always do my best work,

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, Dmouse said:

I know someone who never straps helmet on (off road) .......he insists it's safer because his head wont pull him off if a branch get under it? Full grown adult, and been doing this for years. :jawdrop: :excuseme:

Joe

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BOAB said:

See that alot on TV and in movies.

I don't watch movies or too much television, but I've seen quite a few YouTube vids where guys would crash and there helmet flies off... no way they were strapped on

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't be alive rn if wasn't wearing a helmet . On may 3rd i crashed over a small double landed on my head broke 3 vertebrae, severely injured my spinal cord and have 3 ribs pulled away from my spine, bad concussion i dont remember that day or 2 days after. Raced for 25 years and never even broke a arm,leg or collar bone so you never know what can happen.  I was wearing full gear boots,knee braces, kidney belt, chest protector everything as i always have. So as i write this from the spinal cord rehabilitation center im at please kids, wear your protective gear 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 6

The brain is still developing up to 25 years old.  Brain injuries during this time make some pretty dramatic changes to brain functions.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Years ago...1970's...  Bell was the helmet to buy.   Very expensive back then.  They came out with a simple add to justify the price.  "If you have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1