I have a 2006 kx250f that’s engine is trashed. I can’t find motors for my year specific but I can find motors for 17s 18s 19s and 20s. Can I engine swap the newer motor to the older bike?

I don't know the answer to your question. I guess it'd be possible, using your carb on the intake and perhaps some mods for the width between the swingarm and maybe some engine mount work.

I've been thinking about doing kinda the opposite. A frame swap. To improve bike handling and as a fun project.  Buying a 2017-20 frame (cheap good condition used), and moving as many parts as possible over from my 2010. Obviously I'd need 2017-20 plastics, tank, seat and radiators. Swingarm I'm unsure. So I'm interested to learn the answer to your question.

Ive seen many different bikes with different engines in them, a suzuki rmz450 with a gsxr750 engine swapped into it and just the other day I saw a video with a Harley sportster 883 with a cr500 motor in it smoking other harleys in a 1/4 mile. With a welder and some good fab work all is possible. 

Posted (edited)

Almost anything is possible with enough money, time and fabrication skills but 

before even considering it, you have to evaluate if the end result is worth it.

In this case, investing time, effort and money (how much $$$ is a late model engine?) to fix an already 14 year old dirt bike

whereas the same funds invested on a newer bike could have you riding rather than wrenching on it and trying to sort out fitment issues.

As someone said so well a while back, at a certain point 4-stroke MX race bikes unfortunately become 'disposable'

costing more to repair/rebuild than their actual value in running condition.

Depending on severity of the damage and, general condition of the bike (suspension, chassis bearings and other wear items)

it's perhaps time to cut your losses, part it out and move on.

Edited by mlatour

On 6/15/2020 at 12:21 AM, Zak Johnson said:

How is the engine trashed. So bad that it can't be repaired?

It's an 06 motor. There were dozens of reliability updates from 2006 to 2010. Even if fully repaired to be as-new, it wont be as reliable as a lightly used newer model engine.