RoboD

First Ride in almost 20 years - I'm 49

I'm almost 49.  Every few years I kept getting the itch.  Finally, the right combination of a two-stroke electric start that has linear usable power was just too much to resist...I always liked that 2-stroke pep: 2020 Husqvarna 250i.  I went out to Tahuya ORV park in WA thinking I'd ride for 15 minutes, let it cool down, open up the throttle a little more, do a cool down, as instructed by the dealer for break in and do this a few times.  Well, 2.5 hours later, forearms and triceps shaking, I finished my break in ride which included more than a few higher rev runs across the trail.  I just couldn't resist.  I hope I didn't damage it because I haven't experienced that much joy since I was a teenager.  I was stressed from corona, my career, being trapped in the house, and really, almost angry.  It turned to elation, smiles, and the desire to ride more.  If I only ride it 10 or 11 times, which would mean it costs me 1K per ride, it's worth every penny.  I'm CALM, HAPPY and have a new reason to live.  Yes there are dangers.  I will have all the best protective gear I can afford.  But life seems more full of potential today at 1:43AM.  Thanks to Justin for inviting me along on his ride when the person that was supposed to go with me baled.    

• Like 18
  • Helpful 1

Great story, I’m 54  never had a dirt bike started woods riding 4 years ago I’m not looking back feels like I’m 13 again!

Riding a 20 te300i aside from the crap sub frame The bike is amazing yesterday I actually cracked my sub frame for the second time with a light get off

CC03D9EC-BBE6-4384-993A-8D261F79066A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Great stories guys. 49 too and I picked up riding again as well, earlier this year after a 10 yr break from racing. It just kept on pulling, this need for a bike and finally decided to go for it and no regrets I can tell you! Picked up a 2015 250 SX which is a monster btw.

keep enjoying and sharing your experience with us

• Like 2

welcome back!!  Glad you got out for what seems to be a good day.

• Like 1

I had taken 4 years off, got a 2019 250 xc last fall.  Didn't realize how much I missed riding, glad to be back.  I'm 48 yrs old

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

Just for reassurance, you didn’t hurt that motor by zinging it a little during break in. They like it. 

Thank you!

54 Years old here, just got the itch again after prolly 15 yr. break. Just havin fun trail riding with kids, hit the throttle from time to time, way told old for a hard fall though! Riding a 2009 YZ250F.

• Like 2

Welcome to riding in the amazing Pacific Northwest. Glad you joined the party and have ( in one ride no less) seen the amazing benefits of riding. I too ride Tahuya a lot, but be sure you check out the other areas all around WA. This time of year the mountains are open and offer incredible stuff too. Also, check in on here in the "northwest" region forum where many of us also hang out. 

Joe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Welcome to riding in the amazing Pacific Northwest. Glad you joined the party and have ( in one ride no less) seen the amazing benefits of riding. I too ride Tahuya a lot, but be sure you check out the other areas all around WA. This time of year the mountains are open and offer incredible stuff too. Also, check in on here in the "northwest" region forum where many of us also hang out. 

Joe

FIRST words out of ex wife's FIRST attorneys mouth " Your honor, Mr. F..... is a BIG dirt rider!!" Funny stuff right there! Been There!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wirenut2266 said:

FIRST words out of ex wife's FIRST attorneys mouth " Your honor, Mr. F..... is a BIG dirt rider!!" Funny stuff right there! Been There!

Completely true and funny as heck. We get along much better not married now, and I do and ride as I please. Been almost 10 years of blissful freedom.

Joe

9 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Joe

Thx Joe!

3 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Completely true and funny as heck. We get along much better not married now, and I do and ride as I please. Been almost 10 years of blissful freedom.

Joe

Since I just purchased a 10.7k bike “we don’t need” and I spent all day out of the home yesterday, I’m still in my kitchen instead of out riding again.  Like the bike, and my body, I must break in the wife too.

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2020 at 3:22 AM, olddude13 said:

Great story, I’m 54  never had a dirt bike started woods riding 4 years ago I’m not looking back feels like I’m 13 again!

Riding a 20 te300i aside from the crap sub frame The bike is amazing yesterday I actually cracked my sub frame for the second time with a light get off

CC03D9EC-BBE6-4384-993A-8D261F79066A.jpeg

Is the dealer doing anything - still in warrantee right?

Edited by RoboD

Throttle therapy is the best! I started riding five years ago at 53. I ride almost every weekend from April to October. I'm totally addicted ... like you said, it brings back the joy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RoboD said:

Since I just purchased a 10.7k bike “we don’t need” and I spent all day out of the home yesterday, I’m still in my kitchen instead of out riding again.  Like the bike, and my body, I must break in the wife too.

Good plan. FYI.....$10.7K is super cheap for years of mental therapy/psychiatrist appointments not needed otherwise 😉

Joe

• Like 2

ya I got my first bike in 2010 at age 50 and hadn't been on a bike for more than 20 years.

Had know idea how and where I was going to ride and maybe not the best bike to start with OR for how/where I ride and it was a steep learning curve with both the bike and terrain but I had spent the previous 20 years doing lots of MTB/skiing/snowboarding so was in pretty good shape and I feel the MTB  helped cus I was riding them in roughly the same terrain as I was dirt biking.

I also finally got my street bike license at 54, a street bike (since sold), a dual sport bike (which I LOVE) and IF things were a bit different I have another street bike and a stable of dirt bikes 🙂

I've barely ridden my dirt bike this year, I'm out of shape but I'm looking forward to slowly getting out on the trails sooner than later.@

@RoboD   Glad you got back in and I've found it extremely rewarding and have gotten to meet some awesome people and dirt biked a lot of amazing places in BC and looking forward to finally getting down to the PWN areas at some point in the future.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I'm so glad I got back into it when I did (mid 30's) and hate myself for missing so much time on the bike. Used to ride sun up to sun down when I was a teenager but gave it up when I went to college. Trying to get my buddy back into it but he keeps making new excuses and says he's getting a bike after he does this or that. 

Don't worry about the engine, they break them in at the factory when they do the dyno test. It's just the general procedure that all dealers say to do. 

• Helpful 1

49. Started at 4. I never really stopped, went from dirt to tarmac a few times. Best thing I ever did was get back on a 125 2T.

Did some MX, off road, had a few quads, never had a trials bike though. ADV riding is very appealing to me now. There's a new Yamaha Teneree 700 out there somewhere, with my name written all over it.

47 here. Used to ride in my late 20s. Finally got back into it 2 years ago. Picked up an 07 WR450F with street legal plate. It great to get out and twist the throttle on that thing. 

Scott

• Like 2