First Ride in almost 20 years - I'm 49

On 6/15/2020 at 1:58 AM, RoboD said:

Since I just purchased a 10.7k bike “we don’t need” and I spent all day out of the home yesterday, I’m still in my kitchen instead of out riding again.  Like the bike, and my body, I must break in the wife too.

Whisper in her ear how much longer you estimate you'll be able to make love for once you get bike fit. Won't hurt to mention you'll be wanting sex more often as well because It's a great cardio workout. If that doesn't get her on board, It's time for a trade in. I'd recommend something in the area of 30 to 35 yrs old.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/14/2020 at 4:44 AM, RoboD said:

I'm almost 49.  Every few years I kept getting the itch.  Finally, the right combination of a two-stroke electric start that has linear usable power was just too much to resist...I always liked that 2-stroke pep: 2020 Husqvarna 250i.  I went out to Tahuya ORV park in WA thinking I'd ride for 15 minutes, let it cool down, open up the throttle a little more, do a cool down, as instructed by the dealer for break in and do this a few times.  Well, 2.5 hours later, forearms and triceps shaking, I finished my break in ride which included more than a few higher rev runs across the trail.  I just couldn't resist.  I hope I didn't damage it because I haven't experienced that much joy since I was a teenager.  I was stressed from corona, my career, being trapped in the house, and really, almost angry.  It turned to elation, smiles, and the desire to ride more.  If I only ride it 10 or 11 times, which would mean it costs me 1K per ride, it's worth every penny.  I'm CALM, HAPPY and have a new reason to live.  Yes there are dangers.  I will have all the best protective gear I can afford.  But life seems more full of potential today at 1:43AM.  Thanks to Justin for inviting me along on his ride when the person that was supposed to go with me baled.    

Your engine will be fine. No way you damaged anything. The best break it method is riding it how you'd normally ride on the trail. Some slow sections some faster sections and maybe 1 or 2 balls to the wall. Congrats on returning.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 1:44 AM, RoboD said:

I'm almost 49.  Every few years I kept getting the itch.  Finally, the right combination of a two-stroke electric start that has linear usable power was just too much to resist...I always liked that 2-stroke pep: 2020 Husqvarna 250i.  I went out to Tahuya ORV park in WA thinking I'd ride for 15 minutes, let it cool down, open up the throttle a little more, do a cool down, as instructed by the dealer for break in and do this a few times.  Well, 2.5 hours later, forearms and triceps shaking, I finished my break in ride which included more than a few higher rev runs across the trail.  I just couldn't resist.  I hope I didn't damage it because I haven't experienced that much joy since I was a teenager.  I was stressed from corona, my career, being trapped in the house, and really, almost angry.  It turned to elation, smiles, and the desire to ride more.  If I only ride it 10 or 11 times, which would mean it costs me 1K per ride, it's worth every penny.  I'm CALM, HAPPY and have a new reason to live.  Yes there are dangers.  I will have all the best protective gear I can afford.  But life seems more full of potential today at 1:43AM.  Thanks to Justin for inviting me along on his ride when the person that was supposed to go with me baled.    

Great story!! I think its a sport once you try it you never get it out of your system !? I’m 66 and haven’t ridden a Mx bike since my 1972 husky 250wr !!

went to fox ? Mx track with my 9yr old son and a friend who rides ...just watching got me thinking maybe I’m not Too Old? so went and bought a 2020 Suzuki 250 rmz ... Best thing I’ve done !! It’s like reliving my childhood!? Now I’m trying to find a bike for my son but with this virus going on the dealers are totally out of kids bikes ! 
Anyways moral of the story get out of the Lazy boy recliner and do it before it’s too late ?

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 8:58 AM, RoboD said:

I must break in the wife too.

Wise man right there.

I did it wrong. I bought my first dirt bike at 47 years old...and entered my first motocross race at 49. That was it...the hook was set...I decided to go for the Ironman award the very next season. Well...42 motos and 4,100 miles traveled later...I got it, but it took a toll on the marriage. Lesson learned. Example: Last weekend all my buddies went riding but I stayed home and put up blinds my wife wanted up. This is "money in the bank" cause our first race back from Covid is at the end of the month and I want to race "guilt free". It's a bit of a chess match, but sounds like you're off to a good start!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biondo said:

Great story!! I think its a sport once you try it you never get it out of your system !? I’m 66 and haven’t ridden a Mx bike since my 1972 husky 250wr !!

went to fox ? Mx track with my 9yr old son and a friend who rides ...just watching got me thinking maybe I’m not Too Old? so went and bought a 2020 Suzuki 250 rmz ... Best thing I’ve done !! It’s like reliving my childhood!? Now I’m trying to find a bike for my son but with this virus going on the dealers are totally out of kids bikes ! 
Anyways moral of the story get out of the Lazy boy recliner and do it before it’s too late ?

66 with a 9 yr old son. You go boi :banana:

4 hours ago, Force10 said:

Wise man right there.

I did it wrong. I bought my first dirt bike at 47 years old...and entered my first motocross race at 49. That was it...the hook was set...I decided to go for the Ironman award the very next season. Well...42 motos and 4,100 miles traveled later...I got it, but it took a toll on the marriage. Lesson learned. Example: Last weekend all my buddies went riding but I stayed home and put up blinds my wife wanted up. This is "money in the bank" cause our first race back from Covid is at the end of the month and I want to race "guilt free". It's a bit of a chess match, but sounds like you're off to a good start!

I'm the same. I get all the work done around the house before riding. Guilt free riding is much more relaxing

• Like 1

49 must be the magic number (age) to get back into riding. I did the same thing in 2005 when I was 49, hadn't ridden since 1986 when I had my first (of 3) kids, writing was on the wall, got outta dirt biking but vowed to return one day. Did just that in 2005, bought 3 bikes - one for me and one for my 2 boys. Fast forward to today, my youngest (28) and I ride KTM 300s and he kicks my ass - he's my favorite riding buddy. Not planning on slowing down anytime soon.

12 hours ago, Force10 said:

Wise man right there.

I’m not so sure - when 11K for a bike turned into 15k via bike upgrades and safety gear, the cost for penance seems to be climbing....lol

• Sad 1

To the OP congrats on the new bike and thoroughly enjoying it .

Im 44 and luckily my wife knew I was a 2 wheeler junkie when we met . Even luckier for me is my father in law is a huge 2 wheeler junkie as well and fast a F**K so she doesnt mind as much when him and I go ride . Now my 13 year old is  riding and my 5 year old is learning to ride . I have a feeling we will be doing this for many more years . 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, olddude13 said:

Nope.  No help, I was told recently that the 2021 sub has frame redesign at the points where it’s breaking! Hummmm. 

I’m pretty sure if that happens to me; there will be a bike parked on their showroom floor via air mail through their front window.