David Harry

Dirt gearing for Wr250r

Hello I am new on this forum and A little confused to what gearing I should run on my Wr250r. I only ride it as a dirt bike and take it on pretty harsh trails. I have heard a lot of people going 14/47-8 but is that more for adventure/road? I am also going to do pipe, ais delete, exup. I already have the tuner. What do you guys run/ recommend?

A lot depends on type of terrain you will be riding and speed over that ground....I am 95%+ off road on sketchy ground at slower speeds, so 14/51 has been perfect for me ['08 WR250R]....

• Helpful 1

This link has everything you need to know about WR250R chains and sprockets and gearing. https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5-chains-and-sprockets

Larger than stock rear tire will also require more aggressive gearing, and remember that any change to the gearing will throw off your speedometer because it runs off the transmission.

You need to use your calculator when changing gear ratios. Stock gearing is 13/43= 3.30 which is too high even for the highway. Yamaha only geared it that way to pass noise regulations. 

Much better is 13/47 = 3.62 or  13/48 = 3.69 for dual purpose, dirt and highway. Some guys like 12/43 = 3.58 because you can keep you stock chain and rear sprocket. If you run a 12 tooth front you need to pay a lot of attention to your chain tension because any slop will cause your swing arm to wear as the chain gets too close. 

Going to something like 14/47 = 3.36 or 14/48 = 3.43 is still too high for dirt only.

Even 14/51 = 3.57 is a bit too high for dirt only, and better suited for dual purpose dirt and highway use.

Something like 13/51 = 3.92 is about what you need for dirt only.  The only way to know for sure is to try a gear ratio and adjust as necessary because variables like tire size, riding style, and riding conditions can make a big difference.

• Helpful 1

www.gearingcommander.com does all the math for you, also helps you with which chainlength to use with different sprocket combinations

I run 14 / 48 and ride a lot of dirt (n/e PA with lots of mud, rocks, and roots and tight single track), but also street from time-to-time. I think the 14 /48 works great. First is just perfect for the really nasty stuff....i'm in 2nd most of the time and with a little slip of the clutch it's great until it gets tricky and then click it into first and everything is fixed. Another benefit with the 14/48 is that the chain adjusters are all the way in so you will get a TON of life out of your chain. It kinda irks me when I buy a new chain and I'm halfway out on the adjusters already......probably because I'm cheap.....

On 6/26/2020 at 10:00 AM, yophilly said:

I run 14 / 48 and ride a lot of dirt (n/e PA with lots of mud, rocks, and roots and tight single track), but also street from time-to-time. I think the 14 /48 works great. First is just perfect for the really nasty stuff....i'm in 2nd most of the time and with a little slip of the clutch it's great until it gets tricky and then click it into first and everything is fixed. Another benefit with the 14/48 is that the chain adjusters are all the way in so you will get a TON of life out of your chain. It kinda irks me when I buy a new chain and I'm halfway out on the adjusters already......probably because I'm cheap.....

I think you running 13/48 because 14/48 with dirt tires that are much taller then oem is to tall for n/e pa rock hills, I just got back riding in Bald Eagle single track and I was running 13/48 with a tall 110/100 tire and it was just doable 

On 6/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, paulie1960 said:

I think you running 13/48 because 14/48 with dirt tires that are much taller then oem is to tall for n/e pa rock hills, I just got back riding in Bald Eagle single track and I was running 13/48 with a tall 110/100 tire and it was just doable 

You're right Paulie!!! I checked last night and whaddaya know..... there's a 13 on the front.....sorry for the misinformation.....