Four years with a 250RR, what I learned

After four years, I finally worked out the last idiosyncrasies on my 2016 250RR.  Here is my list of things I learned (slowly) ?

I should have replaced the OE tires with my standard before I ever rode the bike.

Two teeth up on the rear sprocket helped at my pace and trail conditions.

The suspension was re-valved and sprung after one year. I should have done this sooner.

Stock foot pegs are a little slippery.  Fastway work better for me.

Parts take longer to get.

I struggled with dead odometer/computer batteries from the start.  I just replaced with Edurance II.  Should have done this sooner except I was foolishly clinging on to Oil Injection.

The Oil Injection can probably be made to work but why bother or risk.  I should have removed it from day one.

I removed the multi-switch, oil injection, and street legal wiring (which is about half of the wiring).  I should have done this from the start.

I love the Suzuki NECJ needle.  Bike runs like a dream with it.

After all this I now have a perfect bike and my main concern is putting gas in the tank, riding, and washing.  It just took me a while to get here.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3

25 minutes ago, BA1 said:

After four years, I finally worked out the last idiosyncrasies on my 2016 250RR.  Here is my list of things I learned (slowly) ?

I should have replaced the OE tires with my standard before I ever rode the bike.

Two teeth up on the rear sprocket helped at my pace and trail conditions.

The suspension was re-valved and sprung after one year. I should have done this sooner.

Stock foot pegs are a little slippery.  Fastway work better for me.

Parts take longer to get.

I struggled with dead odometer/computer batteries from the start.  I just replaced with Edurance II.  Should have done this sooner except I was foolishly clinging on to Oil Injection.

The Oil Injection can probably be made to work but why bother or risk.  I should have removed it from day one.

I removed the multi-switch, oil injection, and street legal wiring (which is about half of the wiring).  I should have done this from the start.

I love the Suzuki NECJ needle.  Bike runs like a dream with it.

After all this I now have a perfect bike and my main concern is putting gas in the tank, riding, and washing.  It just took me a while to get here.

Your experience is literally a clone of mine with my 17' 250RR, minus the NECJ needle.  I have only ran the richer Zuk needles but prefer the JD for my style.   

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Call me crazy.I ended up with 14-48 gearing for the tight trails on my 250 and really like the stock tires,especially the front. Exception being the short life span of the rear.I don't like shifting all the time. Keep it in 2nd or third for a long spread and clutch it like a tiddler. Not without risk however as I did get caught with my pants down a couple of weeks ago on a group ride when I was a gear to high attacking a steep rocky climb.That's where my buddy on his 500 made short work of me as I was trying to keep from powering out with some inspired clutch and throttle drama.

Edited by Odysseus
  • Like 1