H1rush

Yz125 Where do you guys get engine rebuild kits for "vintage" bikes?

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I'm super new to this forum. for starters i'm 6 foot 5, skinny, 15 years old and getting into bikes now. my dad used to ride bikes in his prime (he always talks about his glory days when he rode his old yz490 with his friends). i just picked up a 1982 yz125j for 1000 cad. it runs with gas in the cylinder. the bike is odd because the frame is perfect, the front forks aren't chewed up(obviously hasn't been mx raced). the engine runs, no clicks, it just smokes a bit much but I think that that's because i mixed it roughly 40:1 and its vintage. the only issue with the bike is that everything but the engine is weird. the throttle cable is broken, the plastics have all different screws, almost like someone just picked up random bolts and used them instead of oem. the engine drain bolt was just a normal bolt that someone cut down(i put an o-ring around it as a short term fix just to stop it from leaking), the coolant is just water (no ethalyne glycol). I can patch up everything/get replacements but after spending countless hours scouring the internet and even going so far as to contact every local Yamaha/vintage dealer near me, the oldest engine gasket kit i can fin is 1992, not even in the 80's. currently the engine seems fine but i will be riding this thing pretty hard and will have to rebuild it at some point. Do any of you guys know how to obtain vintage mx gasket kits? or would I have to figure out the exact bearings and go to a bearing store and use gasket maker/rtv for the rest. anything helps guys. Thanks,      

H1rush.

Edited by H1rush

Motocross Action mag has a company specializing in rebuild kits/parts for vintage/older bikes that has an ad in recent issues. .

Thank you Piney Woods for the reply but after searching the website, i was unable to find "recent issues" or any part of the site to go to any bike part shops online. is at the bottom of the site or is https://motocrossactionmag.com/ the wrong website?

I don't know what they show on the website but there has been a half or full page ad for a company specializing in the vintage stuff in every issue lately. For at least four months. Unfortunately I threw away all my mags last week. I don't keep them like I used to. You might ck Dirt Bike also, same co publishes them both.

Ebay is the vintage bike owners best friend. Do a search, example- 1982 Yamaha YZ125 crankcase gasket. Also, use the Yamaha part number as a search, example- 5X4-15451-01-00. I don't know if you will find a gasket kit for this bike but you can still find individual gaskets.  Go to Partzilla and search for your bike and you will find that a lot of parts are still available including bearings and seals. 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1982/yz125j/crankshaft-piston

I had this same bike just a couple of years ago and found that with a fresh rebuild and the hop up tips suggested by Yamaha, this bike will fly!

Agreed. 82 is not that old and there were plenty sold. I'll bet most everything is available with some diligent searching.