Troubles Standing Up

When standing up on the dirt bike, trail riding and mx riding, are you supposed to lean forward to accommodate acceleration so that you’re not really pulling on the handle bars with your hands? I assume so, but it’s not made clear in the videos that I’ve watched to learn from. I’ve ridden my friends dirt bike at the track, holding a strict standing position no matter what level acceleration, forcing me to hold onto the bars pretty hard, and it just felt totally unnatural. 

42 minutes ago, Max L said:

When standing up on the dirt bike, trail riding and mx riding, are you supposed to lean forward to accommodate acceleration so that you’re not really pulling on the handle bars with your hands? I assume so, but it’s not made clear in the videos that I’ve watched to learn from. I’ve ridden my friends dirt bike at the track, holding a strict standing position no matter what level acceleration, forcing me to hold onto the bars pretty hard, and it just felt totally unnatural. 

Yes, set your weight forward in anticipation of acceleration and set your weight back in anticipation of braking.  If your body position is correct and you’re locked onto the bike properly with your legs, you should be able to accelerate and brake to maximum while riding one handed.   Your grip should always be light and relaxed.

• Like 1

Just now, Fatt_Tones said:

Yes, set your weight forward in anticipation of acceleration and set your weight back in anticipation of braking.  If your body position is correct and you’re locked onto the bike properly with your legs, you should be able to accelerate and brake to maximum while riding one handed.   Your grip should always be light and relaxed.

Okay thank you so much for answering. This is how I thought it was supposed to be, but it wasn’t obvious from watching other people ride

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 6:07 PM, temporarily_locked said:

You are correct. You want to be pushed through the pegs rather than pulled through the bars. 

Hey so I did some more riding today at high speed full throttle on rocky fire road, and I just couldn’t figure out the correct body position. I was being pulled through the handlebars quite hard. Do I move my hips forward to counteract, or do I just move a little bit and pinch really hard with my knees, or etc...?

On 6/24/2020 at 6:07 PM, temporarily_locked said:

You are correct. You want to be pushed through the pegs rather than pulled through the bars. 

Also I’m 6’ 2” so moving my whole body forward put me quite far over the handle bars. 

2 hours ago, Max L said:

Also I’m 6’ 2” so moving my whole body forward put me quite far over the handle bars. 

I’m 6’4” so I feel you, it took a long time to get comfortable. Start off by figuring out your attack position with out accelerating. Knees bent, butt back. Head down and forward, possibly over or in front of the bars. Elbows up. This will probably bring you lower and closer to the bike. When you shift forward to counter act acceleration, you stay low and move forward. I hope this makes sense.

It’s helpful to keep your upper body low to reduce the pendulum effect of acceleration and deceleration. Bending your torso forward at the hips works great. Straighter legs reduce the tendency be pulled back on the bike. Yes, grip with your lower legs. Turning your toes inward helps gripping with your legs quite a lot. This is a good video explaining it in more depth. Keep trying, you’ll get it!

7 hours ago, motrock93b said:

It’s helpful to keep your upper body low to reduce the pendulum effect of acceleration and deceleration. Bending your torso forward at the hips works great. Straighter legs reduce the tendency be pulled back on the bike. Yes, grip with your lower legs. Turning your toes inward helps gripping with your legs quite a lot. This is a good video explaining it in more depth. Keep trying, you’ll get it!

Ahh yes Aj Catanzaro. His videos are where I first learned attack position, but he never talks about accelerating attack position. Motocross is different though because sometimes they purposefully lean back while accelerating for more grip or to lighten the front wheel. I do more trail riding so this is really purely to reduce arm pump and feel in more control for me, but I can’t do that if I can’t keep all my weight on my feet. i think I have a pretty good attack position and braking is easy like that but is the accelerating position that I just can’t get. Like you and temporarily_locked suggested...

10 hours ago, temporarily_locked said:

I’m 6’4” so I feel you, it took a long time to get comfortable. Start off by figuring out your attack position with out accelerating. Knees bent, butt back. Head down and forward, possibly over or in front of the bars. Elbows up. This will probably bring you lower and closer to the bike. When you shift forward to counter act acceleration, you stay low and move forward. I hope this makes sense.

I will try staying really low and pivoting my lower body forward. I didn’t think about the pendulum/increased torque on my body that I receive when I stand taller. Thanks so much for the help guys I really appreciate it!

On 6/23/2020 at 10:20 PM, Max L said:

You should lean forward a little bit, and to the point where you can look down and see your numbers on your number plate. Also to help with having to hold on as much and to help with arm pump be sure to bend you knees and grip the bike with your legs.

Go watch this video and skip to the second tip, it should help you a lot: 

3 hours ago, Brody Batten said:

You should lean forward a little bit, and to the point where you can look down and see your numbers on your number plate. Also to help with having to hold on as much and to help with arm pump be sure to bend you knees and grip the bike with your legs.

Go watch this video and skip to the second tip, it should help you a lot: 

I’ve watched some videos on attack position and all, so I know to grip with my knees. I was gripping pretty damn hard when doing the fire roads. It seemed like I would have to get really far forward combined with gripping if I didn’t want to hold on with my arms. I could probably see or be close to seeing my number plate in standard attack position as I am 6’ 2” on a 125. I think I’ve watched that video already but I’ll give it a watch again. 

5 hours ago, Max L said:

I’ve watched some videos on attack position and all, so I know to grip with my knees. I was gripping pretty damn hard when doing the fire roads. It seemed like I would have to get really far forward combined with gripping if I didn’t want to hold on with my arms. I could probably see or be close to seeing my number plate in standard attack position as I am 6’ 2” on a 125. I think I’ve watched that video already but I’ll give it a watch again. 

I somewhat have struggled with the same thing, but I just bend my knees and elbows and then grip with my legs as much as I can. If your not wearing pants that help grip then that could also be a problem. Also if you want you could look a forearm grip strengthen device and over time it should help with arm pump.

1 hour ago, Brody Batten said:

I somewhat have struggled with the same thing, but I just bend my knees and elbows and then grip with my legs as much as I can. If your not wearing pants that help grip then that could also be a problem. Also if you want you could look a forearm grip strengthen device and over time it should help with arm pump.

Yeah I’ve been using jeans and mx boots, but I’m not sure if my jeans really touch or if it’s mostly the mx boots. I’ll work on staying lower (as someone mentioned to reduce the pendulum effect) and get forward more. I work out currently so I hope it gets better as I better my technique and get stronger. 

• 4 weeks later...

To ride standing up, start at slower speeds, gripping the bike with your legs/knees but weight on the pegs. Arms bent with w/ elbows pointing up and out and head slightly extended forward.

On fast whooped straightaways, having your butt stretched to the rear helps too. By gripping the bike, you can control any side-side swapping, rocking fore/aft and keep your center of gravity low, helping to make for a more stable ride.

Stay standing, while gripping and on the gas until you are getting set up to enter a turn. Then... in 1 fluid motion drop into the seat, slide up, extend your inside leg and apply throttle. Exit while up shifting and getting ready to stand again.

If your inside thigh and legs are not getting tired, your are not doing it right. Practice the technique at less than race speeds will help perfect it. The dividends it pays back are worth the effort!

• Like 1