CRFThai

Stroked Engines to 286cc

Been a while since I've posted on here due to not having access to my CRF but that is changing soon hopefully and I'm back to considering stroking the engine for more grunt. 

I'm curious to hear form anyone who has had their motor stroked and if any problems have been encountered, how many miles since having the motor stroked, just any and all info to help me gauge if longevity is affected at all and if it's worthwhile doing the mod?

Any info is greatly appreciated! 

Hi @CRFThai,  - for info, there was a discussion on the stroker mod in the thread below fairly recently.  (Apologies if you'd already seen this)

@JungleDeath and @Noisytim were discussing.

Tim,

Would you have any feedback to give?  How long (miles) since you did the mod, how would you rate the benefit?  (Out of interest, did you do the work yourself?  -Any 'gotcha's' in there while doing it? ) 

I remember seeing a very well consolidated list of parts required in a thread some time ago.  Will go see if I can find it.  

Posted (edited)

:doh:  -Just found it and realised the well consolidated list was your thread originally..... sorry !  (ah well.... )

Edited by Alan C

It's all Honda parts, so I wouldn't think it would be an issue. The Honda 300 motors are running for countless miles already.

1 hour ago, Alan C said:

:doh:  -Just found it and realised the well consolidated list was your thread originally..... sorry !  (ah well.... )

How about a link for the rest of us?

Carl,

There you go.  Towards the end of the thread there is a listing of Part Numbers, which seems pretty comprehensive.... :cheers:

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Alan C said:

Carl,

There you go.  Towards the end of the thread there is a listing of Part Numbers, which seems pretty comprehensive.... :cheers:

Thanks man, been thinking maybe this would be a good winter project.

I also keep going back and forth a out going all in and making the 250L the best dirty bike I can. Or just upgrading to the 450L and mostly be done.

I got a tuner and airbox mod, that helps, working on getting my exhaust done. It's all laid out, just need to get it welded up and install.

Then maybe stroke it and power should be pretty decent, not as much as the 450L but maybe decent. But it would still need suspension work.

Decision...

1 minute ago, CoronaCarl said:

Thanks man, been thinking maybe this would be a good winter project.

I also keep going back and forth a out going all in and making the 250L the best dirty bike I can. Or just upgrading to the 450L and mostly be done.

I got a tuner and airbox mod, that helps, working on getting my exhaust done. It's all laid out, just need to get it welded up and install.

Then maybe stroke it and power should be pretty decent, not as much as the 450L but maybe decent. But it would still need suspension work.

Decision...

That's what motivated me to buy my CRF450X years ago....I was looking at big bore kits and power mods for my WR250F.

• Like 1

Yeah, know where you're coming from as ultimately you can only do so much. 

-Guess it just depends on how, and what terrain, you ride most, and what that means in terms of the needs of a bike.  Many more CRF experienced guys have said it previously, the LRP can do most things, but just not as fast as a dedicated off-road bike.  (But then you're not doing nearly as much maintaining either!)

It also depends on what is available / affordable where you are, -I wish they would bring the 450L here in Thailand, but it would probably be too expensive for my 'semi-retired' no-income status at the moment, (I'm not on a pension yet..) 

-I did see the new 'green' 300 'middle of the road' KLX300R in our local dealer, and priced similarly to other countries, at about 5.5K USD, however it is off road only, and no registration available, so would be purely a 'toy' that I'd have to then have a trailer / rack hauler for....  -given the stage of life I'm at, I think a modded LRP fits the bill, without being O.T.T.  I ride for fun, not lap times / prizes.  (15 years on, -I also find I don't bounce nearly as well as I did when I had my '93 CR250RR)...

So far, I've gone the other route of suspension, and gearing to make the 250L more enjoyable, but given the limited choice of other machinery, the fact that I should have 'time on my hands' and can access the Honda parts store through Bikerzbits, I think the stroker mod is something that could be a good project down the line.  Even if in the future I could afford to have a 'toy' rather than transport, I'll still keep the LRP for getting around the village and visits to the farm, so I'm not concerned about time / money invested and returns on that etc... 

To each their own as the saying goes..... :cheers:

• Helpful 1

On 7/13/2020 at 12:38 AM, Alan C said:

Yeah, know where you're coming from as ultimately you can only do so much. 

-Guess it just depends on how, and what terrain, you ride most, and what that means in terms of the needs of a bike.  Many more CRF experienced guys have said it previously, the LRP can do most things, but just not as fast as a dedicated off-road bike.  (But then you're not doing nearly as much maintaining either!)

It also depends on what is available / affordable where you are, -I wish they would bring the 450L here in Thailand, but it would probably be too expensive for my 'semi-retired' no-income status at the moment, (I'm not on a pension yet..) 

So far, I've gone the other route of suspension, and gearing to make the 250L more enjoyable, but given the limited choice of other machinery, the fact that I should have 'time on my hands' and can access the Honda parts store through Bikerzbits, I think the stroker mod is something that could be a good project down the line.  Even if in the future I could afford to have a 'toy' rather than transport, I'll still keep the LRP for getting around the village and visits to the farm, so I'm not concerned about time / money invested and returns on that etc... 

To each their own as the saying goes..... :cheers:

I haven't posted on here in a very long time...I've had my 250L for about seven years now, and normally get to ride up in the hills once a week, it's not my runaround bike so not too worried about top/cruising speed hence the 13/48 gearing. I was getting close to doing the stroker mod a couple of years ago, and then the 450L was announced so that idea went out the window...then the 450L didn't come to Thailand (even the underpowered one!).

I've sort'a given up on the stroker idea now...with the right gearing, the clutch mod (to get rid of the slipper clutch) and an EJK (even on a standard pipe) just to pep it up a bit and she's fine for where we ride...the suspension on the other hand has to be done! If, and it's a mighty big if here in Thailand a CBR300 engine showed up at the right price I would be up for that.

20200515_130408 (Medium).jpg

20200619_122431 (Medium).jpg

20200710_105739 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

Bike's still looking great Neilly!  

Yep, I can definitely understand where you're at.  When I was talking to the local guys who go out in the hills here, they recommended 13 / 48 gearing as well.  I'm happy with 13 / 42 for 'general duty', but was thinking a 46 rear might be what I would put on my 'off road' rear wheel as a starter to see how I get on.  Bit of a compromise as I'll have to ride out a few miles of tarmac roads to get to the local Sunday group meet-up point....  I don't really know how difficult / technical the stuff they ride is yet, so we'll see how it goes.

- I've been here full time now for just over a year, and still haven't managed to get really any decent off road stuff done, -couple of trips on forest / farm dirt roads but nothing more than that, -which is not quite how I expected it to be, but no drama,  - I've got heaps of time, and getting the kids settled had to be the priority.  

I've still got a good few of mods to do, -Front suspension / hand-guards / judder spring / Galfer SS brake lines.  (All stuff that I bought 'n brought here while I was earning a salary, but haven't got around to fitting yet!).  -So going back to the original theme, I guess I'm a fairly long way away from doing the stroker mod right now too.... but I don't plan on ever selling the bike, so I could see it at some point down the line. 

:cheers:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alan C said:

Bike's still looking great Neilly!  

Yep, I can definitely understand where you're at.  When I was talking to the local guys who go out in the hills here, they recommended 13 / 48 gearing as well.  I'm happy with 13 / 42 for 'general duty', but was thinking a 46 rear might be what I would put on my 'off road' rear wheel as a starter to see how I get on.  Bit of a compromise as I'll have to ride out a few miles of tarmac roads to get to the local Sunday group meet-up point....  I don't really know how difficult / technical the stuff they ride is yet, so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers Alan,

You can go 13/44 on the standard length chain...I went that way for a couple years and have friends who use their bikes on the road more regularly than I do still on it, it's a nice compromise and makes 2nd and 3rd more usable off road. On 13/48 I can cruise at 75kph and still hit over 100kph if needed 😋

Where in LoS are you?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

OK, thanks, -that's great info, I was wondering how much of a drop in cruising / top speed I'd see, end of the day, until I get a 2nd bike, (-I plan to..) it's useful to be able to nip around the local area, but that doesn't need to be that fast. (80-90 Kph quite fast enough to keep up with traffic). - I also have a 2nd set of wheels & tyres... so stock for general purpose in the week and proper knobbies for weekends is the plan, given what you've said, 42T on the 'road tyre' and 44T on the off road is how I'll go to start with, as it'll save me getting a 2nd chain right now.. - Thanks :cheers:

In terms of where in LoS, -I'm up in the N.E.  about half way between Udon Thani and Nongbua-Lamphu.  Got a few hilly / undulating areas around, and I've made contact with a group who go out off road on Sundays, (95% Thai riders) but, (and I know this sounds daft, as I'm not working),  I genuinely haven't had time to get the bike properly sorted (as I want it) for going off road yet, -main job yet to do being front suspension.  (I have my Gold Valve stacks ready, and I have the necessary internal bits to restore the front suspension height to 'pre '17' state along with a stiffer Ohlins front spring, and it IS going to happen soon!!! 

There seems to be a couple of local groups who go out, people mainly on CRF's and KLX's and a couple of Yamaha's with the odd more exotic* bike (KTM etc) around too.  Don't know how aggressive / technical the riding will be yet, (the majority looked a few years younger than me the time I went to meet up,) and it will be a big change from my previous off road riding in sandy / rocky desert, -but I'm really looking forward to getting into it.

I remember watching one of your videos from Samui, and from what I've seen so far, the hills around here don't seem so different.  Obviously, how the riding will be is hugely dependent upon whether it's dry or rainy season.... (lots of red clay soil around too.. which will be a challenge in the wet I expect)  there's also miles upon miles of unpaved roads and farm tracks around the area too, so plenty choice of places to go explore.

* (for exotic read bloody expensive in LoS!  :wacko:)

Stay safe.  Cheers.

11 hours ago, Johnny919 said:

There are rumors that the 2021 crf250l will use the cb300r engine. 

I've seen the reports that for 2021 it'll be a twin spark engine...that sort of ties in with it having to be Euro 5 compliant by 2022. If they did a short build run using the CBR300 engine whilst they get their 2022 model sorted I'd be all over it like a rash 😉

13 hours ago, Alan C said:

There seems to be a couple of local groups who go out, people mainly on CRF's and KLX's and a couple of Yamaha's with the odd more exotic* bike (KTM etc) around too.  Don't know how aggressive / technical the riding will be yet, (the majority looked a few years younger than me the time I went to meet up,) and it will be a big change from my previous off road riding in sandy / rocky desert, -but I'm really looking forward to getting into it.

I remember watching one of your videos from Samui, and from what I've seen so far, the hills around here don't seem so different.  Obviously, how the riding will be is hugely dependent upon whether it's dry or rainy season.... (lots of red clay soil around too.. which will be a challenge in the wet I expect)  there's also miles upon miles of unpaved roads and farm tracks around the area too, so plenty choice of places to go explore.

Hi Alan,

Nongbua-Lamphu, that certainly is up-north! I've never been that far up, closest I got was Korat.

The CRF will go just about anywhere, it just comes down to your personal preference as to how you set it up, if there's other CRF's and KLX's you won't have a problem. We actually struggle more in the dry season because there is hardly any grip to be found in the loose gravel/sand on the hills. At the moment the farmers are out in force fixing up the tracks because it's Durian season and they need to get their pick-up trucks up there to harvest the fruit.

A friend of mine sold his old 2013 CRF recently and got the new 250L lowrider version...it's now up to the correct height with Ohlins front springs and spacer kit and a YSS rear shock

If you need any help just drop me a PM, I have the manual here and there isn't many parts of the CRF I haven't been into

Cheers

Neil

Edited by Neilly

Neil,

Thanks again. -Much appreciated. Will PM if I get stuck on any of the mods!  :cheers:

Hoping to make some progress soon.... as one of the other 'Projects' with family is getting to a more 'steady state'... so I should hopefully have a bit more spare time in the next few weeks.

Cheers.

Oh, BTW -you know you were saying that CBR300 engines were very rare / hard to get hold of here.... -would a '300' Rebel engine be any easier to find do you think?  Specs are the same, (bore / stroke & comp. ratio)( might need a 38mm Throttle body though).  -Just a thought.

9 hours ago, Alan C said:

Oh, BTW -you know you were saying that CBR300 engines were very rare / hard to get hold of here.... -would a '300' Rebel engine be any easier to find do you think?  Specs are the same, (bore / stroke & comp. ratio)( might need a 38mm Throttle body though).  -Just a thought.

Not really Alan, the main issue is that bikes (and cars) don't get written off by insurance companies, just about everything gets repaired, so there isn't a supply of second hand parts like there is in the west. You can find CBR250's on BahtSold for about 40k...CBR300's are still north of 70k...if one comes up close to me for about the 50k mark I'll probably get it. 😉

Neil, -understood, thanks.   

(I guess I should have figured, as my Thai brother-in-law has a body shop, and has done repairs on vehicles that I would have thought were write-offs or beyond economical repair). 

• Like 1