When should I dump my fuel?

I bought a 2020 YZ250X a month ago and with how busy work is, I've only been riding it on the weekends. I normally only go for a couple of hours on the weekend so I tend to have left over oil/fuel mix in the tank for a week or two.. sometimes 3 weeks. I don't want to start gumming up the carb / fuel lines but I also don't want to throw away perfectly good fuel/oil. What is considered too long? And whats the best way to completely remove the old fuel? Thx guys

1 hour ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

Would run non-ethanol if possible then you should be fine 

Concur 

Ride more often...

But seriously, if it has ethanol, you need to drain the carb after every ride. It's easier, and if something comes up, no worries. The tank, you shouldn't let it go more than a month, maybe two. Less is better with ethanol in the picture.

Non-ethanol can go longer, but it still has detergents in it and they will clog things up, too. You should get in the habit if draining the carb, no matter what. Race gas just evaporates, I've never seen any problems from good race gas.

All my bikes are run out of fuel after every ride .  Never sit more than a week ,  sometimes I just open the fuel valve , start , let warm up then shut off fuel and run out carb again ....  grandson now Knows the drill.   I have many bikes , and have no problems at all...

12 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I recycle old gas thru my car. A gallon of premix in a 20 gallon tank won't hurt the car.

Nah, just make it smoke like an old Saab 2 stroke car, and people staring at you....

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Nah, just make it smoke like an old Saab 2 stroke car, and people staring at you....

Ol' dad driving home from the bar after work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Things to do: (1) run gasoline, not gasahol. Pure gasoline. (2) use a fuel stabilizer. and (3) keep the vents closed
It will last a year or more.

Gasahol turns to crap in less than a month

Edited by pat22043
  • Like 3

Never mix more than you will use in a week. I have multiple cans, clearly marked. Big five gallon cans for straight fuel, small 2.5 gallon for 2S mix fuel. Minimal left over of mix fuel. When the straight fuel is old, I dump it in my PU and refill the cans. Always has stabilizer added. Never have had a fuel related issue.

• Like 1

Small quantities of gas will go bad faster so the little bit of gas in your carb will go bad faster then what you have sitting in the tank. A few weeks isn't a big deal IMO. longer then that just start the bike every 3 or so weeks to get some fresh gas run through the carb. 6 months + drain and replace with some fresh gas. 

Ethanol free will last much longer. 

Edited by Patrickpnw

10 hours ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

But seriously, if it has ethanol, you need to drain the carb after every ride.

Not necessarily.  I've let them sit for months with pump gas in the carb.  Never had a problem.  Zero corrosion.

It may be an issue in wetter climates, hell if I know, but it's never an issue been for me.

• Like 1

I always shut off fuel valve and run it out - except some 2 strokes, like my old KTM 200.  It will rev to moon when it leans out before it dies.  High rpm with no fuel is bad.  So, on that I press kill switch when I hear rpms start to climb.  For long-term storage (over 3 months), I drain tanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turbo dan said:

Not necessarily.  I've let them sit for months with pump gas in the carb.  Never had a problem.  Zero corrosion.

It may be an issue in wetter climates, hell if I know, but it's never an issue been for me.

Same. All we have here is e10. I have equipment that sits months at a time. Never had a single issue, ever. My Mustang sat for 3 years with ethanol in the tank can carburetor and it fired right up. 

OP, you don’t need to worry about draining your gas from the bike, unless you’re looking at multiple months. I went to training 1400 miles away last November and I was gone for 4 months. I did it drain anything and went right back to riding. 

Edited by 69fastback

1 hour ago, turbo dan said:

I've had the same pump gas with Stabil in it for 4 months in my bike. Started it a couple days ago and was fine.

No ethanol free fuel here unless you go with av gas which makes my bike lazy and harder starting or $10 gallon race fuel. I buy fresh 93 octane e-10 for each ride bike is jetted perfect runs clean and crisp. Any left gets used in my leaf blowers and trimmers as well as chainsaws. If bike sits for more than a month i just pull the fuel line and drain it. 

• Like 1