Jump to content

08yz450f bog

Recommended Posts

I have a yz450f that will either bog or shut off when I blip the throttle in neutral, sometimes if I downshift and match rpm it will bog too. Other then that the bike seems to run pretty good. It’s my first dirt bike and first time riding one so I don’t know too much yet. i got the bike used from a one owner who always took good care of it very particular about maintenance so I’m hoping nothing too serious is going on. I asked a few buddy’s and they said it could be a carb adjustment but I’m really hoping it’s not a valve adjustment? I’m also running 91 for now till I can get my hands on 95 not sure if it matters just putting it out there. Any suggestions would be great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carb? Check you AP diaphragm and adjust the AP to where the squirt just misses the slide

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you letting the bike warm up properly? Clean air filter? Could be a carb/jetting issue. As for the valves, checking and adjusting is a regular maintenance deal, just like changing your oil and air filter. Keeping a clean air filter installed, fluids changed properly and valves in spec are extremely important to the longevity and dependability of your bike. You stated this is your first bike. You bought a race bike and it is going to require much more maintenance than some others. Adjusting valves is easy after you do it once but it is very very important to keep in spec if you want the bike to last without dumping some coin. 4 stroke Mx bikes can be very expensive to repair if not taken care of. Watch some YouTube videos on how to do it and don’t over complicate things. Regardless if the valves are your issue here they should still be checked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pmv17 said:

Are you letting the bike warm up properly? Clean air filter? Could be a carb/jetting issue. As for the valves, checking and adjusting is a regular maintenance deal, just like changing your oil and air filter. Keeping a clean air filter installed, fluids changed properly and valves in spec are extremely important to the longevity and dependability of your bike. You stated this is your first bike. You bought a race bike and it is going to require much more maintenance than some others. Adjusting valves is easy after you do it once but it is very very important to keep in spec if you want the bike to last without dumping some coin. 4 stroke Mx bikes can be very expensive to repair if not taken care of. Watch some YouTube videos on how to do it and don’t over complicate things. Regardless if the valves are your issue here they should still be checked. 

As far as maintenance I plan on doing air filter every ride either clean or replace, oil every other ride with oil filter every other ride maybe put some engine ice in. I do let the bike warm up but it will still happen even 30 minutes into a ride. For the valves is that something really complicated to learn to check and adjust? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ruekoe said:

As far as maintenance I plan on doing air filter every ride either clean or replace, oil every other ride with oil filter every other ride maybe put some engine ice in. I do let the bike warm up but it will still happen even 30 minutes into a ride. For the valves is that something really complicated to learn to check and adjust? 

I would suggest putting an hour meter on your bike to keep track of your maintenance and oil change intervals . Air filter depends on the conditions you are riding in really. You’d be surprised that a 5 hour “ride” may only be 3 1/2 or 4 hours of actually riding, maybe even less by the time you take in gearing up, stopping for brakes, packing up all that Jazz. The valve adjustment is easy with some basic tools and basic know how and a decent torque wrench for torquing the cam caps back down. Buy a service manual If you don’t have one. It has the answers to all your questions. Lots of good YouTube tutorial videos as well. You can always watch and pause as you work. ThumperTalk is also a great resource for information.

 

As far as your problem goes, it sounds like a carb issue as others have suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pmv17 said:

I would suggest putting an hour meter on your bike to keep track of your maintenance and oil change intervals . Air filter depends on the conditions you are riding in really. You’d be surprised that a 5 hour “ride” may only be 3 1/2 or 4 hours of actually riding, maybe even less by the time you take in gearing up, stopping for brakes, packing up all that Jazz. The valve adjustment is easy with some basic tools and basic know how and a decent torque wrench for torquing the cam caps back down. Buy a service manual If you don’t have one. It has the answers to all your questions. Lots of good YouTube tutorial videos as well. You can always watch and pause as you work. ThumperTalk is also a great resource for information.

 

As far as your problem goes, it sounds like a carb issue as others have suggested.

I watched a few videos seems a little confusing but I could get the hang of it after watching it a few times. The original owner said he docd “about” 60 hours on it but You never really know, but I’ll do oil and air filter every other ride just to keep it fresh. Thank you for the help! I appreciate it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...