XR650L Daves mod snag

I am in the process of doing Daves mod and re jetting and ran into something I would like some help with. My bike is 2016 and doesnt have the mixture screw with the tab to grind off. Rather it has a tube with a brass plug in it.

1)Do I need to drill it out or can I just leave the mixture screw set where it is?

2)If I do drill it out, how do I turn the "D" shaped screw under there that I've read about.

I have followed Scotts advice above and put in a 155 main and 52 pilot with 2 shims on the slide. I drilled the 2 holes on the slide to 5/32 . 

The jet that I found in there was a 152?! and the Pilot was stamped 50S Pics attached- is that usual? The bike was supposedly untouched since new ( I am the second owner).  I will say that the bike ran really poorly (borderline unrideable for low power-started and idled fine but was completely "flat") with the old jets after I de-snorkeled it and put in a Unifilter - sound right? I haven't reinstalled the carb to try the new jets yet pending the resolution of the mixture screw issue I ran into.

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

Could I just cut the "tube" with the brass plug in it off and cut a slot into the D shaped screw so that I could turn it with a flat head screwdriver

Tube doesn't lead anywhere? I bought a mixture screw that let me adjust the air/fuel ratio without taking apart the carb. Has a metal "tube" with rubber surrounding it that goes to a turnable valve next to the rear brake fluid reservoir. No other reason to put a tube there.

Drill out the brass plug with a small drill bit (its not very thick...........don't go crazy)

after you drill a small pilot hole,,,,,,,, use a small "screw" to screw into the hole and get a good bite..............

then use pliers to grab the screw and pull the brass plug out like a tooth.............. 

You can buy a D tool to turn the screw................... moton pro and many others sell them.

...........you question on the fuel screw setting

I found my best setting after the jetting was VERY close to stock............. stock was 2 1/2......... I am at 2 5/8 ......... very close

50s is the stock pilot.............. "s" meaning short,.............(I use that jet still to this day, .....it is just the starting "circuit")

Edited by EarthCruzn

19 hours ago, Pete P said:

I am in the process of doing Daves mod and re jetting and ran into something I would like some help with. My bike is 2016 and doesnt have the mixture screw with the tab to grind off. Rather it has a tube with a brass plug in it.

1)Do I need to drill it out or can I just leave the mixture screw set where it is?

2)If I do drill it out, how do I turn the "D" shaped screw under there that I've read about.

I have followed Scotts advice above and put in a 155 main and 52 pilot with 2 shims on the slide. I drilled the 2 holes on the slide to 5/32 . 

The jet that I found in there was a 152?! and the Pilot was stamped 50S Pics attached- is that usual? The bike was supposedly untouched since new ( I am the second owner).  I will say that the bike ran really poorly (borderline unrideable for low power-started and idled fine but was completely "flat") with the old jets after I de-snorkeled it and put in a Unifilter - sound right? I haven't reinstalled the carb to try the new jets yet pending the resolution of the mixture screw issue I ran into.

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

I had a 152 in my stock carb as well