03 wr450 shifting issues

last couple of rides the trans has been shifting a little weird, shifts with no issues from 1st to 5th and downshift from 5th to 2nd but will shift into N when going for 1st but will go into 1st with another press on the leaver, If I come to a stop in 2nd gear on a trail I will have to press the leaver a few time while engaging and releasing the clutch to get it to go past N and into 1st.

The shift leaver is not bent, rubbing or obstructed in any way, the clutch is in great shape. I have about 20 hrs on a new piston and rings, pulled the oil filter and it's clean as can be. All riding is off road.

Any though or questions?

Thanks Gary

The one time I experienced a similar problem it turned out to be shift forks.

My son mentioned it briefly, but then the problem seemed to go away. His cousin borrowed the bike and repeatedly stomped on the lever trying to get into first... at least until the shift shaft broke flush with the case. Doh!

Good luck. Hope yours is an easier fix than my bike. 

12 minutes ago, jimmym said:

The one time I experienced a similar problem it turned out to be shift forks.

My son mentioned it briefly, but then the problem seemed to go away. His cousin borrowed the bike and repeatedly stomped on the lever trying to get into first... at least until the shift shaft broke flush with the case. Doh!

Good luck. Hope yours is an easier fix than my bike. 

hey thanks, I'll check that out, Mostly hoping I don't have to split the cases to fix a larger issue.