‘02 ttr 125 upgrades?!

what do you want? motor, suspension, etc?

Engine:

• remove the airbox snorkle
  • get a larger air filter like BBR and install larger pilot, main, adjust the needle and tune the fuel screw
  • lighten the flywheel
  • big bore kit
  • port the cylinder head

Suspension

• bbr frame cradle
  • make a decison, respring front and rear ends for your weight, maybe add gold valves OR go like YZ80/5 conversion

5 minutes ago, JJRace said:

what do you want? motor, suspension, etc?

Engine:

• remove the airbox snorkle
  • get a larger air filter like BBR and install larger pilot, main, adjust the needle and tune the fuel screw
  • lighten the flywheel
  • big bore kit
  • port the cylinder head

Suspension

• bbr frame cradle
  • make a decison, respring front and rear ends for your weight, maybe add gold valves OR go like YZ80/5 conversion

Thanks for your ideas! I know I want disc brakes, new bars, and possibly better suspension! 

so you dont have a L model?  simple fix, sell what you have and buy one

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JJRace said:

so you dont have a L model?  simple fix, sell what you have and buy one

I wish it was that easy! I don’t have the money for a new bike 

21 minutes ago, Kayla Epler said:

I know I want disc brakes, new bars, and possibly better suspension

Leave your current bike as-is (better resale value) and save up for a bike that has the features you want in stock form.

Modding your soon to be 20 year old TTR125 entry level trail bike will end up costing the same and in the end

won't perform anywhere near a bike originally designed with performance oriented engine, brake & suspension components.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Modding a ttr125 is fun and they are fun bikes when upgraded but you will spend alot more money getting there...

• Like 1

The front disk is better than the drum, but it's an expensive mod.  You will have to replace the left fork tube.   I would just clean up the hub and replace the shoes.

you can do a lot to improve the TTR, but it takes more money than you probably want to spend to make it competitive with anything other than another TTR, or the Kawi/Suzi copycat.

if you are riding it hard, particularly in motocross action, get a frame cradle before you stretch the frame.  It's not as critical in the woods, but they do come with a good skid plate, which the stock TTR lacks.

performance-wise, the stock bike is suffocated.  Open-up the airbox, get a better air filter.  Most folks remove the backfire screen from the airbox.  On the exhaust side, remove the header pipe and make sure there is not a baffle/washer between the pipe and head, with a small hole for the exhaust to exit.  Remove it if you find one.  You will want a gasket crush-ring there, though.  Don't just bolt the pipe to the head with nothing in between.

rather than remove the entire tip and core from the stock exhaust muffler,  put a couple washers under the screws that hold the core to the outer muffler housing, so that just a little exhaust escapes around the tip.

• Helpful 1

I have a front end. Shocks, clamps etc from a ttr125L that would allow you to have disc brakes. You would need a disc, wheel, and caliper.

Mr Ludlum has a lot of what you need to get the disc brake on front.  But, there is so much more required.  Master cylinder perch and lever, brake line, caliper, complete wheel with disc.