1985 CR80 Pulse Generator

I tried in the Honda 2 stroke section, but haven't gotten an answer..  So, I thought I'd try here.  (And before anyone sends me Ebay links...  I know how to search Ebay, I am really hoping for an answer and/or information in regards to my question)

I have an 85 CR80 that needs a new pulse generator. These parts are pretty well dried up for the 85. A few used ones out there. I can still get new OEM for the 86+. I know the resistance range is different from 85 to 86+. Would I be able to use the 86+ pulse generator on my 85?

The only source you may get an answer from is someone that has actually tried it.  How much different is the resistance?   So it's a similar or identical size that it would replace the questionable one without mod's?  Is the CDI a different part number?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, motoxvet said:

The only source you may get an answer from is someone that has actually tried it.  How much different is the resistance?   So it's a similar or identical size that it would replace the questionable one without mod's?  Is the CDI a different part number?  

CDI part numbers are different.  

Resistance ranges are:

85: 180 - 240 ohms

86+: 150 - 240 ohms 

13 hours ago, William1 said:

Contact Ricky Stator.

I didn't think of that, thanks for the tip.

Edited by KcDavis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Well, since no one has an answer anywhere, I just went ahead and got one off of ebay.  It's looking like I'll just have to experiment with this myself...  but, now that I have gotten the part, I suppose it will probably work for quite some time...  What can you do?  Haha