`20 exccf 500 wild & mild throttle cams

Hey guys, I'm thinking of switching from the mild grey cam to the wild black cam.  I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and could tell me how much of a difference it really makes? 

I kinda feel like I have to roll the throttle too far for simple things like log hops or wheelies. It's not that there's a lack of power, just not right at the top, if that makes sense. 

I ride almost exclusively trails and technical stuff, so if the wild cam is going to have my back end shooting out from under me on slick trails, I'll probably pass on it. 

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

• Like 1

i ask that question before and had lots off non topic advice . it maybe i am french and do not know how to phrase my sentence wen writing ???? 

i have 500 2018 vortec set up . i miss some fast brapppp wen i need to jump over last minute obstacle .  i feel like i have to twist it 2 turn to have the good brap .

i now tend to run one gear down just for a revy motor for the good rpm respond in single track and i geared my 500 to 13-48 that rely help that rpm respond . 

i will snowbike that 500 that the only reason i keep it because i will change it for the 350 XC-F for light fast reeving motor .

i know the 350 have a ton off hp for snowbike but the 500 have the tork ... and the hp . 

i will also try the fast cam in my 500 and see from there . 

vortex rely rely is wake up the 500 , low gear like 13-48 , good set off tire and tibillessss . a bit expenssive had on for the ready to race bike 

Edited by cisco 1

39 minutes ago, X-Wrestler said:

Hey guys, I'm thinking of switching from the mild grey cam to the wild black cam.  I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and could tell me how much of a difference it really makes? 

I kinda feel like I have to roll the throttle too far for simple things like log hops or wheelies. It's not that there's a lack of power, just not right at the top, if that makes sense. 

I ride almost exclusively trails and technical stuff, so if the wild cam is going to have my back end shooting out from under me on slick trails, I'll probably pass on it. 

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

2020 500 here... I run trails and I swaped to the black. Made a small difference and I like it. I do ride pretty aggressively though. Best way to know is to try it out for yourselve. Its a 5 minute thing to swap it out so if you dont like it put the grey one back on. 

I actually have no issues with the gearing on the '20. Really I'm talking about up town issues. Just tweaking a great bike for my riding preferences. I was really trying to get a feel for how drastic a change it is. Like Ktmthump said "it's a 5 minute swap". Guess I'll go learn the hard way. 

If you have the cam already, it can't take more than 10 minutes to swap, put it in and see how you like it.  If you're worried, put the other one in your backpack so you can swap it back on the trail.  

27 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

If you have the cam already, it can't take more than 10 minutes to swap, put it in and see how you like it.  If you're worried, put the other one in your backpack so you can swap it back on the trail.  

That is a fanFreakingtastic idea! I'm sure I would've left it on my workbench and not thought twice about it until I was on the trail. 

Update for anyone wondering about this question. Toss that grey cam in the spare parts bag. The black should have been on from the store. 

• Like 2

THe oem only comes with the slower and the standard cam(black).

The after market comes with the faster cam.

Yeah there 3 cams with lock on grips, oem only supplies you 2,  missing the best one IMO

• Helpful 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:54 PM, Spud786 said:

THe oem only comes with the slower and the standard cam(black).

The after market comes with the faster cam.

Yeah there 3 cams with lock on grips, oem only supplies you 2,  missing the best one IMO

Got a link?

I much preferred the black, it makes it much easier to ride and hop logs if you are intermediate rider and above IME.

Just now, Oregon Comrade said:

I much preferred the black, it makes it much easier to ride and hop logs if you are intermediate rider and above IME.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure how another cam could make it better if there is a 3rd one out there. The black is perfect for me. 

Everyone has a preference. I'm not sure which KTM cam it's equivalent to, but I've got the G2 tamer cam on my 500 and it made the bike a lot more fun in the super tight eastern stuff where I ride.  When you're crawling along at walking speed and turning the bars lock to lock, the big snap right off idle is just a PITA and wears out your clutch hand in a hurry.  Or at least my clutch hand.  The slower cam makes it a lot less tiring to be smooth at the slower speeds.  :ride:  

3 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

Everyone has a preference. I'm not sure which KTM cam it's equivalent to, but I've got the G2 tamer cam on my 500 and it made the bike a lot more fun in the super tight eastern stuff where I ride.  When you're crawling along at walking speed and turning the bars lock to lock, the big snap right off idle is just a PITA and wears out your clutch hand in a hurry.  Or at least my clutch hand.  The slower cam makes it a lot less tiring to be smooth at the slower speeds.  :ride:  

In general I agree, but that grey cam made me roll the throttle pretty far before I really got into it. It made simple things harder. I spent the day in Rampart Range here in Co it's pretty much all technical stuff. There's not a ton of places to just cut loose and go wide open and I had no problem with the black cam. 

I'm a wrestler so grip strength is an inherent requirement of the sport. I never have the hand weariness issue, but I guess that could be part of why the black cam works for me too. 

6 hours ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Must have been missing something. I am still running the stock throttle cam. 🧐

Which color, Steve

Don't leave us in suspenseful suspense

On 7/2/2020 at 11:23 AM, X-Wrestler said:

In general I agree, but that grey cam made me roll the throttle pretty far before I really got into it. It made simple things harder. I spent the day in Rampart Range here in Co it's pretty much all technical stuff. There's not a ton of places to just cut loose and go wide open and I had no problem with the black cam. 

I'm a wrestler so grip strength is an inherent requirement of the sport. I never have the hand weariness issue, but I guess that could be part of why the black cam works for me too. 

I just swapped out for the black one after reading this, I'll be trying it out at Rampart this weekend!

Thanks for the info, never knew the part was in the bag!