Different fuel injector?

Wierd question. Would it be possible to install a larger volume fuel injector? To possibly remove the need of a piggyback after opening exhaust and intake up? Insights please. Thank you

3 hours ago, Tltaylor1 said:

Wierd question. Would it be possible to install a larger volume fuel injector? To possibly remove the need of a piggyback after opening exhaust and intake up? Insights please. Thank you

Ok. I found where to get injectors that are drop in replacements. Denso brand. You can get a wide variety of fuel (cc/min). Does anyone know the stock flow rate for this bike? Any help is appreciated. I can't find that information anywhere. Of I up the cc/min I should be able to run without a piggyback controller. In theory.

Tltaylor1;

Service manual Page 7-7 gives procedure for doing a Fuel Flow Inspection, and states:

"Amount of fuel flow:

103cc (3.48 US fl oz) minimum, for 10 seconds at 12V."  

This is done by disconnecting the quick release connector, and then turning ignition on five times. (it will pump fuel for 2 seconds when the ignition is turned on).

Note that it also says fuel gauge should be showing less than half a tank when doing the procedure.  (not sure why, -prevent gravity assisted flow maybe?)

So the pump may end up being a limiting factor in terms of how much fuel it provides to the injector, as it should supply a ballpark figure of 620cc's per minute according to the above, but I note that is says this is a 'minimum', -not maximum, -not sure if this helps with the original idea of getting rid of the piggyback controller. -Hope it does anyway.

Al

On 7/2/2020 at 8:30 PM, Alan C said:

Tltaylor1;

Service manual Page 7-7 gives procedure for doing a Fuel Flow Inspection, and states:

"Amount of fuel flow:

103cc (3.48 US fl oz) minimum, for 10 seconds at 12V."  

This is done by disconnecting the quick release connector, and then turning ignition on five times. (it will pump fuel for 2 seconds when the ignition is turned on).

Note that it also says fuel gauge should be showing less than half a tank when doing the procedure.  (not sure why, -prevent gravity assisted flow maybe?)

So the pump may end up being a limiting factor in terms of how much fuel it provides to the injector, as it should supply a ballpark figure of 620cc's per minute according to the above, but I note that is says this is a 'minimum', -not maximum, -not sure if this helps with the original idea of getting rid of the piggyback controller. -Hope it does anyway.

Al

Thanks man!

Interesting subject. Back when I was racing husky’s it was common to change the injector to a Kawasaki model number as long as you had a fuel tuner to dial it in. The huskies ran so much better. I look forward to someone figuring it out!

2 hours ago, JasonfromMN said:

Interesting subject. Back when I was racing husky’s it was common to change the injector to a Kawasaki model number as long as you had a fuel tuner to dial it in. The huskies ran so much better. I look forward to someone figuring it out!

It is interesting. I have found a company that has done research. They sell different injectors. I have found that the 250l uses a 240cc/min injector. They sell 260, 280, etc. They even sell a 385cc/min if you want to convert to E85. I hate ethenol, but some might want to use it. All the injectors they sell are Denso/ nissan. The flow rate depends on the size of the spray holes.

Personally I’m not sure I’d be interested in an injector that just sprayed more fuel, because I think you could achieve that with a fuel tuner, but an injector that atomized fuel better and/ or had a better spray pattern. In the Huskies the factory injector was a 4 port injector with larger holes. The Kawasaki injector was a 12 port with smaller holes. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:12 AM, JasonfromMN said:

Personally I’m not sure I’d be interested in an injector that just sprayed more fuel, because I think you could achieve that with a fuel tuner, but an injector that atomized fuel better and/ or had a better spray pattern. In the Huskies the factory injector was a 4 port injector with larger holes. The Kawasaki injector was a 12 port with smaller holes. 

well, pretty sure the advantage of the "larger volume" injector is that it's more fuel for the same duration (like a carb re-jet), where as the only way for an EJK or other computer compensator to add fuel is to increase duration. at some point, you can't increase duration any more because you're past the valve timing.

on a 250l....does any of that make a hill of beans in the long run? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . would be interesting to have real world numbers on it.