What to look for when purchasing a used DRZ400SM?

I'm going to start going to look at DRZ400SMs in the coming weeks and would like to know what I need to be looking for. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I don't think I'll be able to bring an actual mechanic along. I know to look for scratches and at levers/grips, etc for signs of heavy drops. I've also been told to look at the radiator and make sure it isn't dinged up or showing any leaks. What else should I be looking for? 

Also, is there anywhere on this site where I'm able to ask more experienced members if a specific bike is a good deal or not? Would be nice to receive feedback on possible purchases.

There are a couple basic used dirt bike guides to follow.  

As far as bike specific, check for a loose front sprocket nut.  If it is loose , walk away. 

As far as dirt bikes are concerned, a DRZ400SM is pretty much gutless from the factory.  As a result, many are modified to varying levels.  If the owner is a competent dirt bike mechanic and used quality parts, this could be a good thing.  If they are a hack and cheapo parts were used, it could be an ill tuned ticking time bomb.  If you find a bike, post the ad and we'll attempt to dissect it and give you a list of specific questions to ask. 

Edited by ohiodrz400sm
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

There are a couple basic used dirt bike guides to follow.  

As far as bike specific, check for a loose front sprocket nut.  If it is loose , walk away. 

As far as dirt bikes are concerned, a DRZ400SM is pretty much gutless from the factory.  As a result, many are modified to varying levels.  If the owner is a competent dirt bike mechanic and used quality parts, this could be a good thing.  If they are a hack and cheapo parts were used, it could be an ill tuned ticking time bomb.  If you find a bike, post the ad and we'll attempt to dissect it and give you a list of specific questions to ask. 

Hey, thank you for the reply! Checking out both of the guides linked now. I'm definitely staying away from bikes with any sort of engine modifications, figure that should help my cause. 

This is the bike I'm currently interested in: facebook.com/marketplace/item/3706358229379667/

The seller sent me this video of the bike running: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt8ye0uzilwdvey/Video Jun 27%2C 11 27 52 AM.mov?dl=0

I've asked about the maintenance history, reason for selling, and the amount of owners (2). 

9 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

Looks like a nice bike, but the graphics are making me dizzy. How many miles are on this SM? Where I live, crapped-out DRZs sell in 30 minutes at that price. 

9,500ish. I would definitely be removing some of the graphics, should I purchase the bike. I'm from Illinois, most of the SMs are in Wisconsin. For whatever reason, a lot of these bikes sit on marketplace for weeks. I've only seen one or two sell in the past week, from the group that I've looked at. 

Look it over for damages as mentioned above and follow the used bike guides.  

The titanium pipe on the bike is discontinued and worth a good bit of money to the right buyer.  You could potentially sell the pipe, buy another full system and pocket a couple hundred.  

The asking price of most bikes is high.   That's why you see bikes listed for weeks.  The bikes that are priced correctly from the start disappear quickly.  Eventually the higher priced units sell but don't assume it was for the same price you saw it listed for. It's a negotiation.  Don't be afraid to offer less and start walking for the truck if they decline.  You'll be surprised how fast someone's heart can change as they watch a couple stacks start walking away.

Edited by ohiodrz400sm

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 8:59 AM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Look it over for damages as mentioned above and follow the used bike guides.  

The titanium pipe on the bike is discontinued and worth a good bit of money to the right buyer.  You could potentially sell the pipe, buy another full system and pocket a couple hundred.  

The asking price of most bikes is high.   That's why you see bikes listed for weeks.  The bikes that are priced correctly from the start disappear quickly.  Eventually the higher priced units sell but don't assume it was for the same price you saw it listed for. It's a negotiation.  Don't be afraid to offer less and start walking for the truck if they decline.  You'll be surprised how fast someone's heart can change as they watch a couple stacks start walking away.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:22 AM, Gary in NJ said:

Since I haven’t inspected it, and there is little info about it, I can’t tell you if you should buy it. But you should definitely go look at it and have $4k in your pocket when you do. 

Hey guys, thank you for all the help.  Have looked through all the guides and will do so again before I head off to check out any possible purchases. The bike linked above sold. I'm currently looking at two SMs and an S. I'll post the listings below, have some concerns about them.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1524073821106215/

This bike has been maintained by a dealer and looks to be in good condition. However, the mileage and the fact that the valves have not been inspected concerns me. Is the price high for a bike with this many miles? He said the lowest he would go is 3750, hopeful that I could negotiate the price down lower in person. Also, would the dual exhaust being lower pose an issue when doing any offroad riding?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/274027450590912/

On this bike, the seller says it has been maintained. However, I don't have much more info other than that at this time. Is this price fair for the miles?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/691101328121553/

Would definitely prefer an SM, but this seems like a pretty good price for an S.

There is also a decent looking DR650 for sale, however I've been told that for the riding I want to do (70/30 or 80/20 road), the 400SM is a better option.

Edited by Jake XBL

38 minutes ago, Jake XBL said:

Hey guys, thank you for all the help.  Have looked through all the guides and will do so again before I head off to check out any possible purchases. The bike linked above sold. I'm currently looking at two SMs and an S. I'll post the listings below, have some concerns about them.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1524073821106215/

This bike has been maintained by a dealer and looks to be in good condition. However, the mileage and the fact that the valves have not been inspected concerns me. Is the price high for a bike with this many miles? He said the lowest he would go is 3750, hopeful that I could negotiate the price down lower in person. Also, would the dual exhaust being lower pose an issue when doing any offroad riding?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/274027450590912/

On this bike, the seller says it has been maintained. However, I don't have much more info other than that at this time. Is this price fair for the miles?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/691101328121553/

Would definitely prefer an SM, but this seems like a pretty good price for an S.

There is also a decent looking DR650 for sale, however I've been told that for the riding I want to do (70/30 or 80/20 road), the 400SM is a better option.

You don't want the dual exhaust for off-road. However, you can sell it for a better performing conventional exhaust and still pocket a couple hundred bucks.

25 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You don't want the dual exhaust for off-road. However, you can sell it for a better performing conventional exhaust and still pocket a couple hundred bucks.

That's definitely what I thought.. looks like a pain. 

5 minutes ago, Jake XBL said:

That's definitely what I thought.. looks like a pain. 

I didn't look at any of the pictures but I assume it has the Yoshimura RS4?  Google the price on that. It's a $1200 system. If the bike is the right price and all is good, you could probably easily and quickly sell that pipe for around $800. Depending if you want quiet (FMF) or maximum performance (MRD ZPro)  you could get a brand new exhaust and get a refund for around $300.  Don't let that pipe automatically scare you away.

7 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I didn't look at any of the pictures but I assume it has the Yoshimura RS4?  Google the price on that. It's a $1200 system. If the bike is the right price and all is good, you could probably easily and quickly sell that pipe for around $800. Depending if you want quiet (FMF) or maximum performance (MRD ZPro)  you could get a brand new exhaust and get a refund for around $300.  Don't let that pipe automatically scare you away.

That's the one. It doesn't scare me away, but I did want to find out if my assumptions about it being a hindrance to off-road riding was correct. Sounds like I could definitely make some money off of it though, which is always a plus. The MRD seems to run around $500, which isn't bad.. best performance is definitely what I'm looking for. Are the miles on that bike a concern with the valves not being inspected? I don't trust myself enough to check them myself and the shop wants quite a lot of money for them.

Edited by Jake XBL

5 minutes ago, Jake XBL said:

That's the one. It doesn't scare me away, but I did want to find out if my assumptions about it being a hindrance to off-road riding was correct. Sounds like I could definitely make some money off of it though, which is always a plus. The MRD seems to run around $500, which isn't bad.. best performance is definitely what I'm looking for. Are the miles on that bike a concern with the valves not being inspected? I don't trust myself enough to check them myself and the shop wants quite a lot of money for them.

It could go either way.  Some DRZ's run for tens of thousands of miles and others die before they have half as many miles as that.  It's how they are treated and maintained with a side of good luck.  At 19k I would b concerned with the overall health of the engine, not just the valves.

I like the white SM. What type of off roaring are you looking to do? For me off roading means single track and rock gardens, but for others it just means gravel and fire roads. An Sm is fine for the latter, and you’d be unhappy on the former. Yeah, the exhaust on that bike is worth $500 to someone (list is $1,200 but you can find them new for $800-$900). I have one and would never use it for the type of off roading i do. But, for fire roads it would be fine. 

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

It could go either way.  Some DRZ's run for tens of thousands of miles and others die before they have half as many miles as that.  It's how they are treated and maintained with a side of good luck.  At 19k I would b concerned with the overall health of the engine, not just the valves.

Understood.. It was a concern to me because this bike is already close to the top of my budget, any engine work would put me over the edge.

Just now, Gary in NJ said:

I like the white SM. What type of off roaring are you looking to do? For me off roading means single track and rock gardens, but for others it just means gravel and fire roads. An Sm is fine for the latter, and you’d be unhappy on the former. Yeah, the exhaust on that bike is worth $500 to someone (list is $1,200 but you can find them new for $800-$900). I have one and would never use it for the type of off roading i do. But, for fire roads it would be fine. 

When I say offroading, I'm speaking on fields, some small dirt jumps, dirt roads, wide open trails, etc.. nothing crazy. My buddies and I just enjoy trolling around the fields and retention ponds around where I live. 

38 minutes ago, Jake XBL said:

Understood.. It was a concern to me because this bike is already close to the top of my budget, any engine work would put me over the edge.

I understand that. God forbid the bottom end let go.  By the time it was running again you'd have spent nearly much as a new bike would have cost you. Still, I wouldn't write it off let.  I'd see if you can take someone familiar with DRZ400's to look at it with you.

1 hour ago, Jake XBL said:

When I say offroading, I'm speaking on fields, some small dirt jumps, dirt roads, wide open trails, etc.. nothing crazy. My buddies and I just enjoy trolling around the fields and retention ponds around where I live. 

An SM with the correct tires would be fine in that environment. Of course, tires that give you traction in dirt take away traction on the roads.