1974 Yamaha DT360

Nice bike but what a slug. I didn't know a 351cc reed valve two stroke could be so tame. Porting, pipe and carb will be necessary. I wanted to leave it stock but I know how I am.

20200614_192223.jpg

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

See if you can find any hi performance tips on Yamahaenduro.com.  I think there some guys there that have had the same thoughts as you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turbo dan said:

Nice bike but what a slug. I didn't know a 351cc reed valve two stroke could be so tame. Porting, pipe and carb will be necessary. I wanted to leave it stock but I know how I am.

20200614_192223.jpg

Dan my man, that was the technology back then. low and slow. Compaired to a new zoot, shure she is slow, plus its an enduro, streeter...I would leave it oem! Dont muss her up!

• Like 8

Nice 360. Stock 2t exhausts of that era had all sorts of baffles and metal screening inside them to keep noise down. They were also prone to carbon buildup in those areas. That could be one of the reasons for reduced power. 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3

16 hours ago, motoxvet said:

See if you can find any hi performance tips on Yamahaenduro.com.  I think there some guys there that have had the same thoughts as you.

Most of my google searches take me there.  Seems to be a good resource.

The pipe does need work.  Something is loose inside there that may be partially obstructing the system.  Need to cut it open and have a look.  There can't be too much baffling inside the main pipe, if you take the spark arrestor off it is loud as hell.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

The pipe does need work.  Something is loose inside there that may be partially obstructing the system.  Need to cut it open and have a look.  There can't be too much baffling inside the main pipe, if you take the spark arrestor off it is loud as hell.

RANG DANG DANG RA RA RA BZZZZITTTT BAUUUHHHH, BAUHHHH, RANG DANG DANG BUAHHH, RING<neutral, RANG DANG DANG RUNYUN YUN YUN RAA RAAAA....😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turbo dan said:

That vintage of the 250's had terrible, restrictive mufflers & one of the guys has a business of modifying them.  All he does is open up the back with a cutting wheel, rip all the baffles out and welds the cutout back on.   You'll still  probably  need an aftermarket silencer. But that was the 250's.  I don't know if the 360's had the same issue.  As was mentioned, I wouldn't modify that too much or you'll take pretty much ALL the value out of it as a clean vintage bike.   In other words, DONT make a bobber out of it!  Don't do anything that would make it hard to sell to anyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

The pipes on the old DT's really choked them up. A little opening of the airbox and a sourcing of a decent pipe will make a massive difference. Avoid chopping up the stock 'stealth' pipe.

• Like 3

I am very particular about modifications.  Nothing irreversible.  I like the bike in part for it's history and the era it represents.

I did see a guy on that Yamaha forum that modifies stock pipes with internal cones.  That route seems appealing. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Dan, Let it be! Finding a DT 360 in that condition is rare. If you seek performance buy a newer bike designed for what you want/need. I had a TS400 Suzuki and loved that bike. Did I modify it? Yep. Took a TM barrel and pipe and transformed it to a rather interesting performer.  You own it, save for future generations to see how it all started. The only thing you should do is find original turn signals and install them and detail the bike and putt around town. If you do not want it, please let me know!

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Could not agree more - a good cleaning, fresh oil and enjoy! 
I had a 74 YZ 125, completely stock except a Skyway Pipe , sold it a long time ago and wish I kept it. 
You cannot beat those old Yami’s. 

• Like 4

Have you considered giving the 47 year old 2 stroke air cooled single piston engine a rebuild?

• Like 1

A stealthy modification to the exhaust to help her breathe sounds like the sweet spot. A little more entertaining, yet still retain that pristine '70's character.  

More power is surely available out of the motor...  but understand the plastic swingarm bushings, damping-free Thermoflow shocks and wimpy 34mm forklegs are standing in line to become the new (and scarier) limiting factors.

Cool bike. :worthy: :ride: :cheers:

• Like 4

I had an old ‘74 Suzuki DT250.   Very similar in style and looks.   These old 2 strokes have a slower gradual acceleration.   Not a hard hitting power band like the Yz, RM, KX, & CRs.   Not sure if new reeds or an updated pipe would change it much.   My old bike didn’t even have a reed valves.  Anyhow, they’re noisy and smokey but fun to get around on.   Have fun fixing it up.

• Like 2

"'74 DT my sole source of transpo,rain or shine,night and day,1995-2000. Had the same metallic green tank/locking gas cap. Wiseco piston/top end done at Malcolm Smith's.1991 YZ triple clamps and forks. Needle bearings swing-arm . 6-volt electrics inferior. Two sparkplugs a blessing. Never smoked even with a capfull or two of 2-smoke oilin the gastank. 32K miles on when sold,had 2500 on it orig.  ..🇺🇸

Edited by Jonathon Coffey
Reread thread,corrected mistake
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Remove muffler ,   stick a small  rosebud in inlet side and burn out untill it stops smoking .   Re install and notice the difference .....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Naaasty said:

Dan, Let it be! Finding a DT 360 in that condition is rare. If you seek performance buy a newer bike designed for what you want/need. I had a TS400 Suzuki and loved that bike. Did I modify it? Yep. Took a TM barrel and pipe and transformed it to a rather interesting performer.  You own it, save for future generations to see how it all started. The only thing you should do is find original turn signals and install them and detail the bike and putt around town. If you do not want it, please let me know!

Orig. turnsignals "pot-metal;die-cast aluminum". 6-volt so don't bother with stock. Something in a black plastic just fine. Hell,they don't even have work.😈

• Like 2