Help me decide: RMX450 SM

I really need some guidance.  I sold my drz 2 weeks ago.  I have a shot at buying a leftover new rmx450z that I will have to convert to Supermoto and get street legal. All of my friends with WR450 Supermoto’s say the rmx is garbage and that I won’t like it.  Is the rmx that bad on the street?  Is it unreliable as a daily street supermoto bike to cruise streets and to play with? 

I tried an SWM R500SM and I didn’t like the motor or the crappy steering.  I do like the WR but I was dropped as a child, resulting in a love for yellow bikes that say Suzuki.  So what say you:  go blue or piss yellow? 

7A152218-E4FE-4AB9-9753-1436EBDDCE86.jpeg

• Haha 1

I think the biggest shortcoming you'd run into is the small gas tank. The WR is like 6 lbs lighter which on the street is negligible, but generally the two bikes are comparable in all their specs.  You will also be able to get the Suzuki for about 2 and a half grand less.

2 hours ago, Sinister Veritas said:

I think the biggest shortcoming you'd run into is the small gas tank. The WR is like 6 lbs lighter which on the street is negligible, but generally the two bikes are comparable in all their specs.  You will also be able to get the Suzuki for about 2 and a half grand less.

I’d eventually get the 2.6g tank so no worries on that.  I did go to the dealership yesterday and the 2017 rmx was sold a few hours before.  No worries, though, because I did find a used 2018 with 99 miles for $4k.  It is an 8 hour drive but it’s a sweet deal.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Spyvsspy said:

I’d eventually get the 2.6g tank so no worries on that.  I did go to the dealership yesterday and the 2017 rmx was sold a few hours before.  No worries, though, because I did find a used 2018 with 99 miles for $4k.  It is an 8 hour drive but it’s a sweet deal.  

That is an excellent deal, no doubt.  99mi, still brand new.  First thing I'd do is change the oil.  Good luck, and take some pictures so we can see your new baby. 👍

• Like 1

The one answer that I have not been able to find online is how the rmx behaves on the road(with 17in wheels, front and back).  My buddy’s wr handles tarmac just fine but constant 70-75+ speeds are not its thing(42T rear sprocket).  That’s ok with me as I can cruise at 60-70 but I do live in TX so some highway stints of up to 40-50 miles will happen.  If anybody can chime in with thoughts on engine behavior and how well the chassis and suspension handle tarmac, it would be appreciated.

Also, I’m wondering about the charging system on the bike.  Would it comfortably handle a street legal setup?(horn, radiator fan, proper headlight and turn signals(turns not necessary in TX)?

1 hour ago, Spyvsspy said:

The one answer that I have not been able to find online is how the rmx behaves on the road(with 17in wheels, front and back).  My buddy’s wr handles tarmac just fine but constant 70-75+ speeds are not its thing(42T rear sprocket).  That’s ok with me as I can cruise at 60-70 but I do live in TX so some highway stints of up to 40-50 miles will happen.  If anybody can chime in with thoughts on engine behavior and how well the chassis and suspension handle tarmac, it would be appreciated.

What makes your friends think the RMX would be a bad bike? People love to make wacky half-baked assumptions on these bikes without even ever seeing one in person. I can't think of any reason why the RMX wouldn't be completely badass on the road, especially as a SM. If you're coming from a DRZ it will be a huge upgrade. My RMX with a pipe and EFI tuner makes my modded DRZ SM (FCR carb, stage 2 cams, full exhaust) feel like a kids bike. 

I don't have a lot of on road experience with my RMX, but in dirt trim you can cruse 60mph pretty easy, and it will top out around 95mph. The RMX is like 40 lbs lighter than a DRZ but it still feels planted on the road. One problem you might have is the small gas tank. It's only 1.6 gallons. I typically get around 30mpg with aggressive trail riding, so you should be able to get 40-50 miles per tank on the road.

Other things to note is the RMX headlight doesn't have a high beam like the WR. So depending on how "legal" you want to be you might need to swap it out. One cool thing though is if you lace up SM wheels on stock hubs you can keep the factory speedo cable, the computer has a setting to change tire diameter so even with 17's the speedo and miles will read correctly.

1 hour ago, Spyvsspy said:

Also, I’m wondering about the charging system on the bike.  Would it comfortably handle a street legal setup?(horn, radiator fan, proper headlight and turn signals(turns not necessary in TX)?

The stock electrical system will have no problem pushing some extra electrical components. The bike already has a headlight and LED tail light (not a brake light), so if put some more LED lights on it won't comprise anything. I still have my OEM battery in my RMX even after over 3 years. My DRZ had been though several batteries in the same time span...

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

So it looks like I should be picking up the bike this Friday if all goes well.  115 miles on the bike, title in hand, and the owner says it’s uncorked.  Anything I should look out for?  Also, @stupidmoto, I am interested in lacing 17s to the stock hubs...where can I source the spokes/nipples and rims?

On 6/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, Spyvsspy said:

I've done minor road stints on my RMX to get to the next trailhead occasionally.  I've been up to about 45mph with non DOT tires.  My bike has the JD Tuner and airbox restriction removed.  The bike to me felt like it "surges" a little when holding steady throttle and certainly isn't as smooth as regular street bike.  Not sure if it was because of the tires or not.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Sinister Veritas said:

I've done minor road stints on my RMX to get to the next trailhead occasionally.  I've been up to about 45mph with non DOT tires.  My bike has the JD Tuner and airbox restriction removed.  The bike to me felt like it "surges" a little when holding steady throttle and certainly isn't as smooth as regular street bike.  Not sure if it was because of the tires or not.

That scares me...I will almost strictly be on road and need a smooth running motor.  By surging, do you mean that the rpms increase without the bike going faster?

No. That is not what I experienced.  The throttle is very sensitive.  Since I experienced that I've adjusted my JD Tuner and it was fine today.

• Helpful 1

Welp, I drove almost 4 hours one way and didn’t get the bike.  Owner didn’t mention that he was 2nd owner, the fork seals were leaking, missing bolts in certain areas, removed exhaust tip and baffle but didn’t adjust the tps, and he left the bike dirty as shit.  Now, I could’ve overlooked those issues if they had been disclosed before a 4 hour drive but considering the owner posted the bike had 115 miles(7 hrs), I thought that must’ve been a neglectful 115.  He said he never changed the oil and I just didn’t want to find anymore surprises after taking ownership...oh well

16 minutes ago, Spyvsspy said:

Welp, I drove almost 4 hours one way and didn’t get the bike.  Owner didn’t mention that he was 2nd owner, the fork seals were leaking, missing bolts in certain areas, removed exhaust tip and baffle but didn’t adjust the tps, and he left the bike dirty as shit.  Now, I could’ve overlooked those issues if they had been disclosed before a 4 hour drive but considering the owner posted the bike had 115 miles(7 hrs), I thought that must’ve been a neglectful 115.  He said he never changed the oil and I just didn’t want to find anymore surprises after taking ownership...oh well

In the few times that I have refused a bike sale, the return trip is always one where I’m smiling all the way home. Dodging time bombs is a good thing.

• Helpful 1

8 hours ago, Spyvsspy said:

I agree with your assessment.  Just remember, this isn't the bike's fault.  It's the fault of a shady owner.  If you can budget it, just buy a new one and you know you will have a fresh, awesome product, if you can afford it.  Go to Cycletrader.com.  You'd be surprised at how cheap you can get a new RMX.  It might be better to spend a little more than you initially budgeted to get a quality, more trouble free experience.