Jump to content

Taneum/Cle Elum geo-tagged PDF?

Recommended Posts

I vaguely remember there was a geo-tagged PDF with trals, but somehow I can't find it.  I know there's just a PDF map but it's much better when it is geo-tagged so that it can be used for navigation with GPS.  

 

I have a Locus Maps Pro and looks like it actually got some/all (?) trails in their LoMap downloadable version.  But it is hard to use since trails are just one of many things on those maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For reference, this is what you get with locus maps. 

Screenshot_20200627-183139.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I figured it out.  Locus Pro supports Garmin's .img maps directly.

I downloaded NW_Trails from http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/ to a computer, ran it, got a .zip file with that same folder that it dumps into C:\Program Files (x86)\NW_Trails onto my Android phone, unzipped it, loaded it to Locus Pro as a local map.  It still is funky since there are multiple .img files and this happens to be the 001 (out of 10), rendering of names is a bit strange, it is lacking resolution that would allow to zoom way out, but it does work.  Yay.  This means the entire map from switchbacks is actually accessible on the phone without having any Garmin crap around.

 

Screenshot_20200627-212206.png

Edited by dakh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of Switchbacks.com and have been using their maps for about 10 years and they work great on a Garmin handheld, but they have not updated the maps since Dec 2014. 

I've used Garmin when riding Taneum but also carry paper maps and my fav are the Green Trails series, # 240 covers most of Taneum and #239 add in on the west side.

The problem with USFS maps, and others,  is they are old; don't show all of the logging roads, some trails are not accurately placed on the map, and logging is not shown.  So I always preview the area with Google Earth to better understand the terrain. 

The best paper map for Taneum is probably the Cle elum RD's  ORV maps.  I don't know if they are geo referenced for a smart phone but they are downloadable at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/recreation/ohv/?cid=stelprdb5317888. Also see https://www.discovernw.org/cle-elum-ranger-district-off-road-vehicle-map-okanogan-and-wenatchee-national-forests.html  a good large single sheet map published in 2018.

My fav for a smart phone is Backcountry Navigator running Critter Maps USGS Aerial Topos w/ Accutera overlay for the trails, a $20 yearly subscription fee.  Aerial photos with contour lines are very graphic and show all logging roads, and the trail lines stand out.

One problem with maps is some maps have only trail names, others only trail numbers. The above two maps have both.

USFS use to publish a list of trails and their difficulty rating as "Easy", "Moderate", "Difficult" and "Most Difficut",  don't know if it is still available. Just be forewarned that some of the trails are double black diamond for difficulty and some, like Mt Clifty, are very dangerous because of the narrow trail and shear exposure.  If you get onto Mt Clifty there are two trails at the peak and you should walk both before riding either. 

Edited by Chuck.
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Gaia. USFS maps built right in. Plus a hundred other maps. No dinking around with uploading geo-tagged images. 

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not any one map has it all from my experience, Some lack trail detail and some lack roads. many are just copied over and over through the years and have the same mistakes... only now in digital form.  Some trails were just hand drawn in and aren't even close except maybe the start and finish.  Think I do have the geo reference for that area from the fs if you need it.   NW trails is a layer, add it to another basemap as they built it only showing the trails in most area's.  Something else is useful, have a pdf muvm map in your files. Use the adobe app search feature to find a name of a road or creek or something you can see. Can help figure out where your at if your gps isn't finding you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the comments on the map front...  Yea I'm leaning there's a cottage industry of various mix and match maps, for example there's a USGS map with OpenStreetMap superimposed on top of that.  Locus Pro has I think the same/similar stuff as Gaia but the interface makes a bit more sense to me.  But I haven't given Gaia a fair try yet, I just avoided it since I thought it's more focused on hikers. Locus Pro kinda solves the issue with maps only giving partial picture by making it very easy to switch between maps (and download chunks of maps for specific areas for offline use). So I can switch from USGS to satellite to street to switchbacks in seconds.

 

My specific goal is to come up with something that minimizes stops and messing around with navigation during rides in unfamiliar areas.    Current thinking is 2 cell phones (cheapies off eBay with no service) mounted about where the bar pad would be, showing maps with different zoom levels.  But I want trails that I care about (most likely single track) to be clearly distinguishable.  So basically I would need a map with single track somehow highlighted.  No such a thing but say Tahuya geo-tagged PDF (basically geo-tagged image) is much better at that then any regular vector map I've seen so far.

I think realistically it'll be some combination of pre-planning (building routes/waypoints ahead of time), looking at other maps on the spot, and using whatever (incomplete, inaccurate) trail info that maps have.

Edited by dakh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..and yeah, figured out map overlay:

Screenshot_20200628-221143.png

Screenshot_20200628-221339.png

Edited by dakh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There might be a way to create a "theme" to tweak how the map is rendered to make what I need to be highlighted so it's possible to understand what's up by just glancing at the screen while riding.  Will investigate further later...

Edited by dakh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok much better, here's one map theme that shows trails with high contrast. Probably good enough for now.  Yellow is FS road, red dotted line is single track.

Screenshot_20200628-233118.png

Edited by dakh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what you're trying to do, I think you'd like Gaia. 

You can overlay multiple different maps and adjust the transparency. It also syncs with the desktop site, so you can create tracks/routes that automatically sync to your mobile. It also supports offline maps so you don't need service to use them. 

USFS Roads and Trails overlaid on USFS base, + Topo map. Purple is moto-use single track:

IMG_7520EAAE76B4-1.thumb.jpeg.0efefeecb25f8bab8256f84a063336a8.jpeg

Desktop site w/ NatGeo Trails overlaid on USFS, etc:

1248707539_ScreenShot2020-06-29at9_05_17AM.thumb.png.332476fed367eaaa80331f8b07090835.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 9:14 AM, jrodicus100 said:

Try Gaia. USFS maps built right in. Plus a hundred other maps. No dinking around with uploading geo-tagged images. 

I just bought Gaia a month or so ago and did the $20 level. That provides enough decent content for what I need. Very cool that you can simply drag and select a section of map(s) to save for later offline access also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That indeed looks good @jrodicus100, thank you!  I'm getting lured into learning more about how to work Locus since it is customizeable to just about anything one would want, but Gaia looks like got the goods right out of the box.  Being able to come up with waypoints/routes on a computer and sync with navigation device/phone is certainly a big plus.  Folks are running Locus in a virtual machine to do the same thing, yuck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thing about drawing the ride out ahead of time is you know aprox mileage for fuel and group concerns. The map auto adjusting to keep you mid screen keeps the flow going too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, Chuck. said:

I'm a fan of Switchbacks.com and have been using their maps for about 10 years and they work great on a Garmin handheld, but they have not updated the maps since Dec 2014. 

I've used Garmin when riding Taneum but also carry paper maps and my fav are the Green Trails series, # 240 covers most of Taneum and #239 add in on the west side.

The problem with USFS maps, and others,  is they are old; don't show all of the logging roads, some trails are not accurately placed on the map, and logging is not shown.  So I always preview the area with Google Earth to better understand the terrain. 

The best paper map for Taneum is probably the Cle elum RD's  ORV maps.  I don't know if they are geo referenced for a smart phone but they are downloadable at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/recreation/ohv/?cid=stelprdb5317888. Also see https://www.discovernw.org/cle-elum-ranger-district-off-road-vehicle-map-okanogan-and-wenatchee-national-forests.html  a good large single sheet map published in 2018.

My fav for a smart phone is Backcountry Navigator running Critter Maps USGS Aerial Topos w/ Accutera overlay for the trails, a $20 yearly subscription fee.  Aerial photos with contour lines are very graphic and show all logging roads, and the trail lines stand out.

One problem with maps is some maps have only trail names, others only trail numbers. The above two maps have both.

USFS use to publish a list of trails and their difficulty rating as "Easy", "Moderate", "Difficult" and "Most Difficut",  don't know if it is still available. Just be forewarned that some of the trails are double black diamond for difficulty and some, like Mt Clifty, are very dangerous because of the narrow trail and shear exposure.  If you get onto Mt Clifty there are two trails at the peak and you should walk both before riding either. 

Thanks for posting that Chuck. I have been meaning to stop by Cle Elum RD and pick up another ORV map but I am not sure they are even open or not so I ordered a few off the link. $4 each, I am wonder if they can print them for that much!  My current map is covered in clear packing tape to keep it going. But, it has the Legos trail on it expertly added in green sharpie based on GPS track, plus I wrote some of the trail names and numbers so I can read them without glasses. Legos is expertly routed across USFS and through the checkerboard corners of TNC property but my custom map's days are numbered. There is only so much tape can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Legos wanders all over but the maps shows it as pretty much a straight line. :banghead:

I scaled one map and it was 4.39miles, but my GPS track is 9.3 miles. Also from the east end the trail climbs almost 500' and then plunges 1350' to cross the N Fork Little Naches River before climbing 1900' to Manastash Ridge Tr. 

I would like to see the Pyramid Peak Tr reestablished thru the clear cuts on its west end, that would provide a nice ST alternative over the Crest instead of the Naches Pass 4x4 route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Yep, Legos wanders all over but the maps shows it as pretty much a straight line. :banghead:

I scaled one map and it was 4.39miles, but my GPS track is 9.3 miles. Also from the east end the trail climbs almost 500' and then plunges 1350' to cross the N Fork Little Naches River before climbing 1900' to Manastash Ridge Tr. 

I would like to see the Pyramid Peak Tr reestablished thru the clear cuts on its west end, that would provide a nice ST alternative over the Crest instead of the Naches Pass 4x4 route. 

Rumors abound...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...