Choosing a decent chain

Hello,

I've been using DID 520 DZ2 Chain Gold #520DZ2 and Renthal sprockets for a few years but I wanted to adventure outside my safety zone and experience a different type/brand of chain that might be slightly better then the DID that I'm using  open to any suggestion or brands you use or should I just stay with the DID chain?

I would like to stay around $80 for a chain and has to be gold in color as I never used o or x ring either but if the price is right I'll try it.

My beast is a 2002 YZ426F sprockets I'm using right now are 14/49 (Renthal -Aluminum) soon changing them soon to 14/52 (TAG Metals - Aluminum) as I mainly enjoy trail riding.

Brands I'm looking at:

Unibear chain

EK chain

D.I.D. chain

Fire Power chain

Primary Drive chain

SunStar chain

ProTaper chain

Volar chain

Renthal chain

5 hours ago, mlatour said:

DID VT2 (now called the ERVT) X-ring enduro narrow sealed chain on steel sprockets,

even basic steel Sunstar sprockets makes for a very long lasting setup.

What would be the recommendations chain length to fit my sprockets: 14/52 - 520.

Thanks for your feedback..

17 hours ago, slbwing said:

Hello,

I've been using DID 520 DZ2 Chain Gold #520DZ2 and Renthal sprockets for a few years but I wanted to adventure outside my safety zone and experience a different type/brand of chain that might be slightly better then the DID that I'm using  open to any suggestion or brands you use or should I just stay with the DID chain?

I would like to stay around $80 for a chain and has to be gold in color as I never used o or x ring either but if the price is right I'll try it.

My beast is a 2002 YZ426F sprockets I'm using right now are 14/49 (Renthal -Aluminum) soon changing them soon to 14/52 (TAG Metals - Aluminum) as I mainly enjoy trail riding.

Brands I'm looking at:

Unibear chain

EK chain

D.I.D. chain

Fire Power chain

Primary Drive chain

SunStar chain

ProTaper chain

Volar chain

Renthal chain

What would be the recommendations chain length to fit my sprockets: 14/52 - 520.

Thanks for your feedback..

What are the stock sprocket sizes?  Edit: I've found 14/49-114 links as the stock setup for a '02 426F.

Anytime you change the sizing, it's always a guess what chain link count fits ahead of time.

(calculators get you close but no guarantee they are accurate in all applications)

Better to buy a length of 120 links and cut down to size after proper measuring,

making sure you still have room for adjustment later on.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mlatour said:

What are the stock sprocket sizes?  Edit: I've found 14/49-114 links as the stock setup for a '02 426F.

Anytime you change the sizing, it's always a guess what chain link count fits ahead of time.

(calculators get you close but no guarantee they are accurate in all applications)

Better to buy a length of 120 links and cut down to size after proper measuring,

making sure you still have room for adjustment later on.

Ironically looks like we are on the same page at almost exactly the same time?

RK X-ring with Renthal C/S sprocket and Primary Drive steel rear. I have over 8 years on this set with over 1000+ hours on them. I admit my bike isn't as much of a beast as the 426 but should easily see half the life I've gotten out this setup. I will not run an aluminum sprocket on an off road bike unless it's a hybrid like the Supersprox.

Edited by SS109

Take this for what you will - I have a Primary Drive Gold MX chain (non o-ring) with 10 hours on it so far and it’s been fine. I can’t speak for longevity yet but it came loaded with grease from the factory and has a nice fit and finish. Albeit I can’t really say the chain is gonna get that abused, it’s on a 125 haha!

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:47 AM, Gflo said:

Your best bet IMO is to run a Supersprox rear sprocket (lightweight aluminum center with steel teeth), or other similar sprocket, and a gold Primary Drive X-Ring chain.  It will outlast any aluminum sprocket/non o-ring combo by many times over.

I second this....

this basically what I have been running since 2008

• Like 1